0 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

The night is fair with the big and bright moon accompanied by the stars. Unlike most nights, Chincoteague, Virginia’s police department is flooding the beach for the recent odd news they just received from the young folks who were wilding out the night.

“Hello Chincoteague, Virginia’s police department, how may I help you?” the operator uttered from the other side.

“Hello, we need help, help. A woman walked out the sea and she is bleeding... she is covered in blood,” a young girl was making the call and she sounded quite unsettled and scared.

“Please calm down and repeat yourself,” the operator from the other side asks the voce making the call.

“Oh God, what... John, get away from there...”

“Mam, talk to me, stay on the phone,” the operator uttered through the phone as she listens to the girl talking.

“Oh no, Help... what is that... Help!” she screamed and another; disturbing crooking sound, cuts off the voice and it was hanged up.


It seems like there is no way of explaining what has happened here, on the beach. There are phones and also blood stains on the sand as if someone was dragged to the sea. No one is able to find anyone of the callers, but the officers have managed to get their identification from their back bag. The police officers are flooding the area looking for the callers, dead or alive.

There is a young lady, who seem her mid twenty, as described by the caller; covered in blood, her long hair is allied in one with the blood that is still covering her from head to toe. She was found by the police, naked and standing still as she is staring back at the sea as if she is waiting for something to come out from there any time soon. She hasn’t uttered a word ever since they have found her.

“What in God’s name happened here?” a man in his mid-forty asks the young officer as he approaches her where about.

Officer Kelly was the first on the scene and the girl seems to host the feeling of safety and familiarity towards her. She is standing next to the girl as the lady holds her right hand tight with both her hands through the brown blanket she is wrapped into. 

“Detective Gibson,” she nods to him as she presses her lips in a hard line. “It is hard to say what happened as it is hard to have her say anything,” she points to the lady who is still holding her hand.

“I see you’re already babysitting some fine girl,” he points to the girl’s hand on hers and she loads her chest with air as she tilts to her left. “How is she still sitting with all the blood?” he deepens his furrow line,

“Well I assure you it is not of hers, but your peoples have taken samples,” the paramedic utters as he walks into the ambulance, going through the first aid kit.

“Our peoples?” Detective Gibson looks at Officer Kelly and she presses a smile.

“It’s Dave, he has taken it to the lab.” She explains to him.

“You seem like her favorite,” he narrows his eyes as he schemes at the lady from head to toe. The blood is rubbed off her face and the paramedic, who was in, is already back to her with a syringe; taking blood sample and checking her temperature

“Hardly, I would put it like someone who have met her first,” she answers and bites her lower lip hard as she sinks in her deep thoughts.

“What’s the situation?” he asks her.

“We’re still not sure, but based on the situation by the beach it isn’t hard to guess what has happened.”

“The status on the caller?” he asks her and she tilts to her left as she looks over to the detective’s partner approaching their direction.

“I’ll fill you in on it,” his partner utters as he stands with the status report in his hand. “There were supposed to be four young folks here, but their night ended when she walked out of the sea,” he answers simple.

“The sea better be bleeding for her to come out there covered in blood,” Detective Gibson presses his lips down as he takes a step closer to the lady. “What happened?” he asks her loud, but she pulls Officer Kelly closer to herself as if a shield from the detective and his partner, Rice, who keep stroking his mustache, that seem bolder for his thin face, now and then.

Detective Gibson looks up to Officer Kelly and nods to her as if giving her the go to try and help her communicate.

“Sweetie,” she starts with soft words to try and open the conversation with her. “My name is Kelly, what’s yours?” she asks her softly as she presses on her chest and Detective Rice rolls his eyes as he breathes a laughter secretly. “Something bad happened, right?” she asks her for no answer. For a while everything stays quiet and the girl lifts her head up slowly and looks at the officer with her forehead arched at her.

“A very bad thing happened,” she answers to her with her voice deep and rage filling her eyes.

“Oh, good, she speaks,” Detective Rice shakes his head and approaches her direction with full force. “She’s f*ing with us,” he grabs her by her right arm wrist and tries to force her to leave her seat, as he tends to pull her away. He isn’t someone with patient and he rather take matters into his own hands. He doesn’t like the way she is and he is already thinking she might know where the callers might be, or what happened to them. After all they are locals and she is a stranger. In the eyes of Detective Rice, anything strange means danger.

Unlike the force he uses, it isn’t easy to do as he hoped to do, he simply looks back at the girl who seemed weak; she isn’t moving an inch and both Officer Kelly and Detective Gibson frowns looking at her quizzically.

She pulls him towards herself, by the hand he grabs and effortlessly as she stands; she strangles him by her left hand as she holds him up in the air. She seems strong and she only uses a hand to keep him up, firmly holding him still; she stands naked as the blanket that she was wrapped into fall off her, exposing her body. Detective Gibson and Officer Kelly grabs their gun as quickly as possible.

“Drop him!” Detective Gibson orders her, but Officer Kelly holds her right hand to him with hope that she can turn the situation around.

“Come on now,” Officer Kelly places her gun back as she nods to her pressing a forced worried smile. “Just... calm down and trust me. Let him go,” she utters to her. The lady turns to see her and Officer Kelly shows her that she is letting her right hand on her gun in the air. “Come on,” she adds.

“There are three more to come,” the girl utters as she slowly places Detective Rise down so slowly.

“Okay, three more what?” she asks her and see that Detective Gibson is also placing his gun back.

“We need you,” she utters, but before she proceeds on her talk she suddenly freezes in reaction to a seizure.

Another officer already uses a taser gun on her, since she still didn’t let go of Detective Rice, he ceases in reaction to the electric shock and they both drop down on the grown, powerless.

“Shit!” Detective Gibson utters as he realizes that Officer Kelly is also down in the act of retrieving Detective Rice out the grip of the strange lady’s strong hold.


***


A person in a balloon... a person, nude in an artificial glassy embryo, fog wet and blood. Blood, fight and Kelly is standing between four women one from the beach shielding her from any harm. Another vision of a man... creature approaching and she screams in fear of it.

“Help!” she wakes up in a hospital bed panting and socked in her own sweat.

“Darling,” an old man rushes to her as he tries to calm her down. “It’s all alright,” he utters. She looks around and come to her realization that she is in a hospital and that the incident on the beach has already licked to the press; the news is on and search parties are looking for the missing callers.

“Dad, I have to go, I need to go,” she utters as she sits up.

“Please, calm down. You need to rest,” he pushes her hoping to calm her down.

“I have to go to the station, I think I finally fit it all together,” she utters as she holds him on his shoulder. It seems like he knows what she is talking about.

“How?” he whispers. He doesn’t seem pleased about the news that excites her. “Is it the vision? I can get your uncle here and he...”

“No, dad.” She holds him on his shoulders and looks into his eyes. “Okay, it is, but this is different,” she looks away and then back to him. It was more than what I used to see.”

“We need Markus here,” he wants to run out the room and call for his brother to help them, but she holds him tighter and stops him. “We are done with everything, and no more drama, we owe it to your mom,” he only wants to stop her from getting back on her ghost hunt to her past and how and why she is here.

“Exactly, mom would have wanted me to do the same, I know she would be looking into things. I love you, Dad. Nothing is going to change that.” She looks up to the TV and points to him to the news. “A lady walked out the sea and I think she is born like you said I am. I had a vision again,” she swallows hard and he stands straight as he tries to digest his shock.


***


With the blood washed off her, the young lady from the beach looks beautiful, though she seems lifeless and with her pale skin. She is tall and slim, long and wavy black cherry red hair is moving on her back to her face as she walks. She is restrained with the pair irons connected to a pair of handcuffs with a longer chain in between connecting the hand and leg cuffs as it limit’s her movement in the orange jumpsuit she is into. She is walked down the corridor of constant concrete walls all the way to the interrogation room.

Once she takes a seat on a chair in an empty room, she deepens her furrow lines on her forehead trying to focus on her thought. There is nothing in the room except another chair before the one she just took and an iron table between the chair she is on and the one before her.

‘...maybe she killed them and acts like crazy,’ she closes her eyes to the muffled voice that is pouring into her ears.

‘Four of them killed by a lady?’ a women voice utters in a sarcastic manner. She can tell that she isn’t believing what the male is trying to convince her on.

‘I can’t make things up,’ the male voice goes on in the explanation. ‘You should have seen how she handled Detective Rice.’ She hears a door clinching and she opens her eyes.

‘Don’t ask, he have lost his mind. Demanding a punishment at the officer who took the shot.’

‘I’m sure he’ll leave with it.’

‘It’s funny and odd he took most the charge.’ She hears the door closing and stares at the door as her ears focuses on the muffled but approaching footstep to the room, she is placed in.

“So, are you ready to talk?” Detective Gibson walks into the room with a file in his hand.

“Where is she?” she asks blunt and he presses his lips as he thinks.

“Still in the hospital and all thanks to you,” he utters as he takes a seat before her. “I think you are speaking about Officer Kelly.”

“I want her,” she says as she sits back and her turquoise blue eyes fixed at him as her small lips is pressed in a hard line.

“Okay,” he shakes his head. “You have to be cooperative with me here or things doesn’t seem to have the right path for you.

“I am not your subject and your law cannot apply to me,” she quietly answers to him. “I said, I. Want. Her.” it is obvious to catch her foreign accent in her sentence.

“You...” he bites his lower lip as he thinks for a while and takes a moment looking at her. “Indeed, you’re not my subject, but why should I give you want you want after your tress pass into my territory,” he shrugs. “After all, you are a suspect in the disappearance of those four young children who reported you found by the sea. They are my subjects and I don’t know what happened to them. I believe you are the only one who can tell me their where about.” He is trying to play her cards around.

For a while she stays quite as she thinks, she then blows stream of air and leans forth on the table.

“I want her, Officer Kelly. Nira is important,” she utters quietly.

“Who is Nira?” Detective Gibson asks, but she rolls her eyes at him and he shakes his head. “Oh, so that’s what her name is, Nila?

“Nira, she forgot herself,” she seems disappointed. She leans on the table.

“So, Nira, is Officer Kelly,” he utters to himself trying to understand her. He is starting to believe that she must have mistaken her for someone else. “Okay, to the start. Where are you from, who are you?”

“Airlek of Talo, what you call... Vela.”

“I don’t understand, where is that?” he asks her and she shakes her head tiredly.

“Bring Nira to me, and I tell what happen to your subjects,” she sits back.

“Are you striking a negotiation, Airl... whoever you are and from Vela?” Detective Gibson is someone who hardly gets disappointed.

“Ah, she is in this vessel, coming to me.” She smiles as she senses her entering the building. His phone rings after a moment and he picks it up.

“Yes... what?” he looks up at her in fear. “Are you sure, he presses a smile and shakes his head amused. He hangs up his phone and place his phone on the table.

“Vela is indeed in the southern sky part of a larger constellation,” she utters as if saying she have heard what the person from the other side of the phone utters. “Home is Talo and we need Nira home,” she utters.

“So, you’re an alien from a star?”

“Star for you,” she presses a smile. “She is closer,” she smiles.

“How do you know that Officer Kelly is in the building?”

“I sense her. I'm here, more coming take her back.”

“Why?”

“She is a princess,” she shrugs as she shakes her head. “You should let me see her or I will.”

“What are you going to do? Rip me apart after you rip the cuffs off?”

“If you choose,” she presses a smile, but the door is suddenly busted down and Officer Kelly stands behind it.

“What are you doing?” he stands up from his seat, but Airlek parts her legs to the table as she breaks it down as se also sets her legs free from the cuffs she is restrained from. He turns to her but she takes the broken iron table leg up and hit him on his head and breaks her hand cuff free. She flips over and stands closer to Officer Kelly who is looking at what is happening in a split of second and in amusement.


***


They are back to the beach she was found by, waiting for the other’s arrival. They haven’t uttered a word and Officer Kelly is worried to the responsibilities that are waiting for her.

“Most peoples I knew in my life...” she shakes her head as she thinks deep.

“They were waiting for you to grow up fine and you did,” Airlik answers to her as she presses a smile. “That was the only way to keep you safe, but now that Airs finds out that you are here, it is not safe.”

“How are we to get back home?” she asks her, but Airlik looks at her sadly also in hope.

“Speak of home,” she breathes long. “Sad things awaits you, but the vessel to deliver us home is being prepared by your neighbors.” She presses a smile. It is already night and the sky are lighting up with the fool moon accompanied by the stars. Kelly grow up thinking that she would one day turn into one, but she is now preparing to go to one of them.

“Funny, all my life I thought I was a lab rat and here I am actually an alien from a distant planet. I lost my mom in the process of figuring things out.”

“They’re here,” Airlik presses a smile as she looks up to pods dropping from the sky, quietly and smoothly.

“What happened to those who found you?” she asks her as they walk forth to the sea.

“I have stored them in my embryo, we need them safe.” She smiles to Nira and she smiles back to her as she realizes they are safe. The sea forms circular motion and a path clears out and three more women walks out the water covered in blood. They looked at them and then they both look up to the beautiful night sky.

February 27, 2021 10:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.