0 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

“Gimme another, Joe.”

“That’s four already, Ryan. You sure you want another?”

“You can cut me off after this.”

“Alright.”

Ryan sighed as the barback refilled his whiskey double then slid the glass over to him. “Cheers.” The musician didn’t throw it back right away but nursed it as he mused over the events of the last four days. “Bloody hell,” he chuckled. “I supposed I should be glad I got out when I did. Now I see what my friends were getting at.” He sipped the spirit, wincing at the burn. “At least they’re not heckling me about it, but, they’re also not here with me.” He sighed again and checked his mobile. Almost ten. He knew he’d have to leave at some point. This wasn’t that point, however. Hell, for all he knew, the psycho was there waiting for him, despite him telling her to get out.

‘She never could take a hint.’ He mused, about to put his cell back in his pocket when it buzzed. He briefly glanced at the message that scrolled across the screen. ‘How many times do I have to apologise before you forgive me? I swear, it won’t happen again. Please, come back.’

“Not likely.” Ryan scoffed. ‘I already told you, we’re done. Get used to it, and get the hell out of my flat.’ He sent the message and the device buzzed almost immediately with a response.

‘Fine! I’ll go but don’t think I’m letting you go that easily. You haven’t seen the last of me.’

“Great. Now, I’ll have to get a restraining order. Ugh!” He laid his head on the bar counter and groaned. “Why do women have to be so complicated, Joe?”

“Don’t ask me, mate. I’m a proud bachelor.”

“You can’t tell me you’ve never had one though.”

The barback shrugged. “Oh, I’ve had plenty; don’t get me wrong. The ones I’ve been with, though, understand it’s only fun and games. No attachments, no problems.”

“Spoken like a true player.”

“All in how you play the game, mate.”

“Never was good at it. Always had to have someone with me. Felt empty otherwise.”

“Sounds like you need a shrink, not a lady.”

“Ha! Like I could afford a shrink. Nah, what I need is a lady who isn’t screwed in the skull.”

“Best of luck with that.”

“Cheers.” Microphone feedback caught the keyboardist’s attention then. “Someone about to go on? Didn’t think there were any bands during the week.”

“’Bout time for the karaoke to begin. Stick around if you need a laugh.”

“Didn’t know this place had karaoke.”

“Your band’s never in here on Wednesdays.”

“Good point.” Ryan focused on the stage where a small crowd had gathered around three people setting up a teleprompter, a sort of DJ booth, and testing the equipment. “Not like I have anything else to do tonight.”

He listened to the amateur singers for the next thirty minutes while he finished his drink then concluded he’d had enough. “Bloody hell, some of these folks are downright awful!”

“Maybe you should get up there then.” Joe suggested, picking up the empty glass.

“Maybe I will.” The bartender didn’t think the musician was serious as he’d never seen him sing at any of the Silver Coffin Sound’s gigs, but there was a first time for everything. Ryan marched over to the stage, drawing quite a few stares but he was too lit to care. “Evening, gents.” The three guys running the show nodded. “Mind if I see your selection list?” The one on the DJ booth handed him a thick folder, which he thumbed through until he landed on what he wanted. He pointed to the song title then stepped onto the stage and waited.

The Echo Club was silent as he adjusted the mic then the tune began. Soft notes were heard then the lyrics scrolled across the teleprompter. Ryan lifted the microphone and began to sing. “Sunlight bright upon my pillow. Lighter than an eiderdown. Will she let the weeping willow, wind his branches down? Julia dream. Dreamboat queen. Queen of all my dreams.”

“You sure he’s here?” Nate asked, pushing open the club’s door.

“Where else would you go after a break-up?” Seth asked.

“Good point. Now, we have to figure out where he’s at in here.”

“Don’t think we have to look far.” Roger pointed to the stage.

“Every night, I turn the light out, waiting for the velvet bride. Will the scaly armadillo find me where I’m hiding? Julia dream. Dreamboat queen. Queen of all my dreams.” The lyrics broke momentarily as the band made their way closer to their friend, who’d drawn quite the crowd with his performance.

“Never imagined Ryan could sing like that!” Seth exclaimed quietly.

“He’d almost give me a run for the money.”

“Who is this anyway?” Roger wondered. “It sounds familiar but I can’t figure it out.”

“Think we’ll ask him when he’s done.” Nate suggested.

“Will the misty master break me? Will the key unlock my mind? Will the following footsteps catch me? Am I really dying? Julia dream. Dreamboat queen. Queen of all my dreams. Julia dream. Dreamboat queen. Queen of all my dreams. Julia dream. Dreamboat queen. Queen of all my dreams.” The lyrics faded as the instruments finished the song then the club erupted in applause and cheers. Ryan took a bow and left the stage, where his friends intercepted him.

“Evening, mates. When did you get here?”

“During your performance. Since when do you sing?” Seth asked as they sat down at an out-of-the-way table. Of course, it didn’t stop other club-goers from coming over and asking the keyboardist to perform again, which he turned down every request.

“I always could, buddy. I never pursued it because I was better at the keys than the vocals.”

“You should do it more often. Maybe at the next gig?” Nate suggested.

“Maybe. Depends on the material.”

“If it was anything like what you just sang, I think you’d be a smash. By the way, what song was that? It sounded familiar but I couldn’t place it.” Roger inquired.

“Julia Dream by Pink Floyd. Super early stuff.”

“That’d explain it. So, you want us to hang with you for a while or you looking to head out?” Nate asked.

Ryan was about to answer when another person walked up to the table. “Excuse me?” The voice was timid. “Could you sing another song? You sounded… really good. Please?” Ryan looked up to see a young woman maybe a few years younger than himself with dark hair and lowered eyelids.

Her voice was so low, he almost didn’t hear her and it took him a moment to piece together what she’d requested. “If I’ve heard you correctly, you wanted me to sing again?” She nodded, still not looking up. “I’ll do it but only if you’ll look at me. No need to be shy.”

“Okay.” It took her a few more minutes but she looked at the musician with dark brown eyes that showed what he thought to be admiration. “Please? I really liked your voice.”

“Well, he’d be a fool to turn down a request.” Seth practically pushed his friend out of his seat. “Go on, mate. Sing for the lady.”

“Alright, alright, Seth. Apologies. He can be pushy at times. Come on.” He went back to the stage, followed by the girl and received several rounds of applause as he walked. “Guess you weren’t the only one who liked it.”

“I suppose not. What are you going to pick?”

“I don’t know yet. Any requests?”

She thought for a moment. “Something from Piper at the Gates of Dawn?”

“Hmm… alright. May I see the book again?”

“Having fun, are ya?” One of the DJs asked.

“Astonishingly, yes.” Ryan thumbed to the right section and found what he was looking for. “This one, if you please.”

“Coming up.”

“By the way, what’s your name?” He asked the girl as he waited for his turn.

“Trixie, and no need for an intro. I know who you are. Seen your band play all the time.”

‘Lovely.’ He thought. ‘A groupie.’ ‘She may not be. Groupies ain’t shy, ya know.’ ‘True.’ He looked at her, and she was looking at the floor again. ‘Hmm… do I dare? It’s not as if I have a girlfriend anyway, and she doesn’t seem crazy in the head like the previous ones.’ “Umm, Trixie?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I phone you sometime?” He winced slightly as her eyes lit up. ‘Maybe not.’

“Um, wow. I, uh, wow. I don’t know what to say. Can I think about it until after you sing?”

‘Guess that’s a bit of a relief.’ “Sure.”

“You’re up, boss.”

“Here it goes.” He climbed onto the stage as the tune started with wood clacking instruments then the keyboards came in. “The black and green scarecrow as everyone knows stood with a bird on his and straw everywhere. He didn’t care. He stood in a field where barley grows.” The crowd had gathered once more but Trixie stayed right at the front. Her eyes were focused on Ryan, almost to where he lost his concentration. “His head did no thinking. His arms didn’t move except when the wind cut up rough and mice ran around on the ground. He stood in a field where barley grows.” During the brief pause, he looked at his recent admirer and wondered if she could be something more. ‘What the hell are you thinking? You don’t know her.’ ‘I could get to know her.’ “The black and green scarecrow is sadder than me but now he’s resigned to his fate ‘cause life’s not unkind – he doesn’t mind. He stood in a field where barley grows.”

Once again, he received cheers and applause as he hopped off the stage next to Trixie. “So, are you gonna answer my question?” He asked as they slowly walked back to where his friends were. ‘Please say yes.’

“You can phone me anytime.” She pulled a pen from her back pocket and wrote on his hand. “I have to jet but I hope I’ll hear from you soon.” She waved then bounced towards the door, leaving him dumbfounded.

“Damn, Ryan, I think I am gonna make you sing at the next gig. Maybe we’ll even land an album deal.” Seth declared.

“Yeah, maybe.”

“What’s up with you? The chick split on ya?”

“Nope.” He displayed the numbers on his hand.’

Roger whistled. “Nice! Better put it in your mobile before you sweat it off.”

“Right.” Ryan quickly stored the number and smiled as he assigned the name to it. ‘I wonder if she’s the answer to my emptiness question. One can only hope.’

August 28, 2021 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.