0 comments

Fiction

      It was an old farmhouse that had been sitting empty for about 20 years. After a gruesome murder that took place there, the family moved away and tried to sell it, but everyone local knew the history, so it never sold. After awhile, the family just left it but, they had someone go out to the house weekly to check on it. It seemed that even the vandals knew what happened and they also stayed away. Most of the furnishings were left, all kitchen utensils; even most of the family pictures were left hanging on the walls.

           When the association for inner city kids in New York City contacted the owners asking if they could rent it for a retreat, the owners felt obliged to tell them of the house’s history, but the association was not worried about that. It took a lot of volunteer man hours for the house to be made habitable. It had 5 bedrooms and four bathrooms. The master bedroom had an ensuite and had been separated to house the two chaperones; one male and one female; there were two bathrooms upstairs and one downstairs. The two upstairs bathrooms would accommodate the 8 kids who would be sharing the 4 bedrooms. They would put 2 kids per room. The bathroom downstairs would be for the person who was hired to be the housekeeper/cook, who had a bedroom off the kitchen. Also, downstairs, there was a large kitchen, with an equally large dining room off it. In addition there was a library/study and two fair sized sitting rooms. Along the front of the house was a wrap-around porch.

           As they were going up the driveway, the 8 kids were awed at the size of the house. They were told it was once the home of a very large family, but had been empty for about 20 years. It definitely looked like the family did not want it.  Lisa, one of the older girls commented on the fact that why do they have to live in such an old, decrepit place. She said it looks older than the dumpy apartment building she lives in. Charles, one of the older boys, said it looks better than where he lives.   “I hope there are no rats,” piped up James. “They killed a baby in my building.” “That’s a given,” adds Lisa, “considering the neighborhoods we live in.” Susan, the other older girl, chimed in, “It looks spooky.” “Don’t be such a baby,” adds James. “I see what she means,” points out Linda, one of the younger girls.

           “Look at how the setting sun is shining on the trees and showing their shadows,” mentions Charles. “They look like giant fingers.” “Watch out”, cries Mark,” They’re going to grab us as we drive by.”

           Rose, the female chaperone, turns to Mark and cautions him to please be kind. Remember, this is all strange for everyone. Even I have never been to the country, she tells him.

           Bob, the male chaperone, announces, “we’re here, everyone out. Be sure to grab your bags. Rose will settle the girls in their rooms and I will attend to the boys, and once everyone is settled we will meet in the dining room to enjoy the meal the cook has prepared for us. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m hungry.”

           “That was a good meal,” states Rose. “It’s been a long day, so I suggest we all get ready for bed and Bob and I will check in with you all shortly.”

           About an hour later, Rose and Bob hear a scream. Running upstairs they hear another scream. It came from one of the girls rooms. Rose bursts into the room and sees Linda cowering under her covers and Susan laughing at her. “What in the world is going on?” demands Rose. “Linda, are you okay?” “She’s just a baby,” laughs Susan.  “I just pointed out to her the shadows on the wall, and she started screaming.” “It’s the devils fingers,” cries Linda. “Susan said they can get into the house.” Rose gives Susan an ‘I will speak to you later,’ look, as she goes to reassure Linda. Meanwhile the other kids are crowded out in the hallway wondering what the noise is. Bob is assuring them that things are under control and they should all get to bed. Grudgingly, they go to their rooms.

           Rose has Linda calmed down and is quietly explaining about how the moonlight shining on the trees like it is doing, can show shadows on the wall, and it can be scary to look at. But, she explains that there is no reason to be afraid. Everything will be different here than in the city. It may take some getting used to. Now, settle in and I will sit here for a bit until you fall asleep. 

           Next morning, after breakfast, Rose takes Susan outside for a walk to have a brief talk. She reminds Susan that Linda is younger than her and no-one knows what her situation at home is, so could she please not frighten her again. Susan agrees, but Rose does not see the mischievous look in Susan’s eyes.

           Their first day is given over to tour the house and its grounds. There were a few, very, run down out buildings which were locked. Bob showed the kids around and cautioned them that all the out buildings were off limits, even though they were empty and locked. They could fall at any time. There was also a stream at the end of the property. Rose decided it would be the perfect place for a picnic, and after which the kids would have the afternoon to themselves. Susan and Lisa went off on their own to get to know each other. Susan talked about what she did to Linda about the shadows. Lisa thought that was a good idea. She said she is going to do the same to Casey, since she is so quiet, Lisa wonders if she can talk at all.

           During dinner Rose saw some droopy eyes; so for the evening activity she suggested they meet on the porch and tell everyone what they thought so far and maybe say something about their families, or even any dreams they have for their futures.

           So, later that night, after the house was quiet, Lisa opens the curtains and gasps. Casey woke up and asked what the matter was. Lisa told her she saw something on the wall. “What was it?” Casey asked. “It looked like a witch,” answered Lisa. “Look, there it is,” she said is a frightened voice. “It’s near your bed.” Casey screams and runs out of the room, at the same time Rose was doing her rounds. Casey bumps into Rose and screams. “It’s me,” says Rose. “It’s okay. What’s wrong?” “It’s, it’s a monster,” whispers Casey. “It’s by me bed.” “How do you know it’s a monster?” asks Rose. “Lisa said it was,” replied Casey. “She woke me up to show me.” “Let’s go look,” states Rose, as they enter the bedroom. “See, it’s just a shadow from the tree out your window. Lisa should not have woken you up. Try to go back to sleep. I will talk to you tomorrow,” Rose says to Lisa.

           Out in the hallway, Rose sees Bob and tells him what happened. She decides that she will separate the girls. Both the older ones can share a room. “Are the boys asleep?” she asks Bob. “Out like a light,” answers Bob. “I will have a serious talk with Lisa and Susan tomorrow. I must admit, it does look scary when you just wake up and see the shadows on the wall.”

May 07, 2021 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.