5 comments

Fantasy Friendship Teens & Young Adult

Kira Sorenson thought about her upcoming birthday. It was going to be a day that she would never forget for as long as she lived. Which could be centuries, seeing as she was a hybrid. Her father Jared, who was a vampire, met her werewolf mother Natalie in the late eighties.


Mixed species relationships were becoming even more common as the decades passed. Nobody who knew them was surprised when the couple got married. They moved into a large house in Astell Grove, owned by the Sorenson clan.


After many years, fate had at last decided to give them a child. Just the one. They called her Kira. She had wavy black hair and violet eyes, with very pale skin. Personality wise, although introverted and quiet, she was also affectionate and friendly.


If you got the chance to know her of course. Prove your loyalty and trust, you gain a friend for life. Betray that and you may as well be dead. She never saw the point in lying, especially to the ones you love.


Kira, much like her father, found it difficult to open up sometimes and was mistrusting of strangers. She always made up her own mind. Her instincts served her well. The list of people she had allowed into her inner circle, was noticeably short.


Her best friends were a vampire named Andrea White and a werewolf named Rochelle Davis. She grew up with several cousins, who were more like the siblings she’d never had. She was sort of friendly with humans her own age, but not as close to them.


###

After the birthday party, she and her mother were left alone, to wander into the woods. She was excited at the thought of finally being able to change into a wolf. Natalie stayed with her, because first time changes were always very painful.


Her mother also transformed and the two of them went hunting. Kira brought down a deer on her own. A rather messy attempt, but successful, nonetheless. They washed themselves in the river nearby. Natalie waited for her daughter to change back after the moon had gone down.


She brought out a bag of clothes hidden in a hollow tree. “You will soon figure out how important self-control is.” Humans had long since known of the supernatural creatures living alongside them. Instinctual fear aside, for the most part they were tolerated. Of course, every now and then, someone had to try and stir things up. But that hadn’t happened for years.


The girls came home. Jared made breakfast and listened to them talking about their adventure. He took a rose pendant from his pocket and placed it around Kira’s neck. “Your mother and I bought this the day you were born. We are so proud of you.”


The following day, it was her father’s turn. For the record, vampires not being able to stand the sunlight is nonsense. A lot of the things humans believe about creatures is completely false. Whatever helps them fall asleep at night.


Jared tested Kira’s accelerated speed, her reflexes, and her senses. He wanted to see her reaction to human blood. Her eyes blazed a deep red and she growled, but she made no move to snatch the blood bag from her father’s hand. “You do seem to have a fair amount of control over your thirst already. This is a good sign.”


####

Kira had heard stories from other hybrids about their transformations. Her cousin Sebastian thought he was prepared to delve into the human crowd. He’d only been changed for a couple of weeks.


He didn't tell anybody what he planned to do. It ended badly. His father Dorian doled out the punishment; Sebastian was locked up in the family basement for two months, seeing not a single soul. He was informed that the human girl he drank from had survived, but the attack itself still haunted him.


Kira knew how he felt. They’d always had a strong bond and told each other everything. Which was the main reason that no-one but her, had become aware of Sebastian’s secret love. Charlotte Jameson was a vampire, promised to another vampire. Her ancestry was amongst the oldest in existence.


Alexander Blackthorn was the son of a lord. Old money. Major influence and power in the supernatural world. Not all creatures followed the tradition of arranged marriages, but these two families certainly did.


Kira had seen her cousin with other females, but none of them brought out this kind of intensity and protectiveness. “I really love Charlotte. She loves me too. I can’t just stand by and let her go through with the wedding. We could make a run for it!” “What, and live in hiding for the rest of your days?”


“As long as I am with her, nothing else matters. I swear to you, I will put a stop to it all somehow.” This was not the kind of thing he would have done with anyone a year ago, before he met Charlotte. He was headed for trouble. Kira had no idea if she could help him, but if he needed her, she would try.


###

The official engagement party was held on the 31st of December. The Sorenson family were sent an invitation, along with anyone else who was connected to either vampire clan. Jared used to be a bodyguard for Julian Blackthorn, back in the day. He quit after he and Natalie got involved. The men were still good friends. You might think that an old pure-blooded vampire wouldn’t need security. You would be wrong.


Natalie bought a blue gown with sleeves for Kira. It was her daughter’s favorite color. For herself she wore something that was deep green and off the shoulder. Jared made sure, along with his black suit, to wear a tie the same shade as his wife’s gown.


####

They arrived early. Sebastian walked into the Blackthorn ballroom with his parents. He was in charcoal grey. Kira tried to get his attention, but his focus was on Charlotte. To be fair, the girl was stunning.


Her burgundy halter neck dress, leant a flush to her cheeks and complimented her honey blonde hair. Her earrings and matching necklace, were subtle but expensive. She wore only enough make up to enhance what was already there. But she didn’t look happy, not at all.


Alexander, tall and darkly handsome, with his arm around her waist, seemed to be in a bit of a mood himself. How come nobody else saw this? A male vampire asked Kira to dance. She politely accepted, keeping an eye on Sebastian as she was spun around the dancefloor.


About halfway through the evening, the music died down. Mr. Blackthorn had prepared a speech. “Welcome, friends and guests to our home. My wife Giselle and I are happy that you are all gathered here, to celebrate the engagement between our son Alexander and the lovely Charlotte Jameson. This has been a long-awaited moment for both families. Let us raise a glass and wish them the best of luck.”


Kira watched Charlotte and her fiancé whispering together and just knew that something was up. Julian made a gesture to start up the band. The music stopped abruptly when Alexander stepped forward. “Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen. If you don’t mind, I would like to say a few words of my own.”


Every eye in the ballroom was now on him. “I love my parents deeply and I am grateful for everything they have done for me over the years. I think that any man who had a lady like Charlotte by his side, should consider himself incredibly lucky.”


The crowd applauded him. Then, taking a deep breath, Alexander dropped a bombshell. “I am sorry if this comes as a shock, but we really don’t want to get married. At least not to each other. Neither of us ever wished to disappoint our families, but we had to stop this before things went too far.” So, Kira was right.


Mrs. Jameson and her husband pulled Charlotte aside, trying to keep their voices lowered. Her eyes sought out Sebastian’s. He shot her a bright smile. It gave her the strength she needed to stand her ground.


The Blackthorns clearly felt that enough of a scene had been made. Guests were told in no uncertain terms, to depart the premises immediately. New Year's Eve celebrations at the manor were obviously cancelled. The news would no doubt be heard all over town, probably even before the next sunrise.


Maybe Sebastian and Charlotte had a real chance for happiness. The path to true love winning the day, was never going to be an easy one. But Kira believed, with all of her heart, that they had what it took to go the distance.


THE END 

January 02, 2021 01:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Radhika Diksha
14:45 Jan 10, 2021

The story is wonderful itself. I loved the light cheesy romance. I loved the narration too. Nice story. Werewolves and vampires always fascinate me. Keep writing. I would love your feedback on my story.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:27 Jan 11, 2021

Thanks. Sure, I can have a look at your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Llind Kam
08:14 Jan 13, 2021

I liked your style of writing: smooth and to the point. I thought the ending was abrupt.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
23:09 Jan 13, 2021

Thanks. You know, I wasn't sure at first, whether I was able to finish this one... but I couldn't think of anything more to add.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
16:08 Jan 11, 2021

I saw that you liked my stories but I would love your opinions too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.