Remember me

Written in response to: Write about a character driving in the rain.... view prompt

12 comments

Romance Sad

Clementine gazes out the open window, the frosty winter wind blowing into the car, and biting at my skin. She insists on having it rolled down, despite the cold. She likes to hear the world, she’s always said. Her long auburn hair pours down her pale shoulders, falling into her dark eyes as she turns to me.  

She’s in a silky green dress, her favorite one, the one I gave her last Christmas. I offered my wool coat, but she declined. The cold weather doesn’t bother her much.  

She asks if I can change the radio station, not one for love songs. I ask her to change it for me, distracted by the bridge ahead. I don’t want to look away from the street, not with the roads as icy as they are. Never mind, she says. I frown, and ask why not. She looks away, and back out the window. I ask her again, confused. Clem, I try again, glancing away from the road to look at her, but she doesn’t answer. When she turns back, I remember. 

Dark blood poured from the wound in her head, rolling down the side of her face. Her hair was bright against the white snow. Her new dress was stained red, a hole ripped in it at her chest. Her lifeless eyes were open, and I sobbed at the terrible sight. 

 My eyes widen as I remember the events of last year. I remember the loud shooting, and the cold, quiet hospital, and the shocking news the doctors said, and the sad funeral. I remember the lonely days after, and how I couldn’t bear it any longer. I remember the small orange bottle, the soft pop of the lid. I remember my trembling hand nearing my lips, then her face, and her hands, stopping me. She’s stayed by me ever since. 

 She smiles at me sadly as I reach out to touch her. I thought we could stay together forever, she says. I shake my head, but the chilly air hits my fingers instead. She’s gone. 

I jolt forward suddenly, the car spinning on the slick road. The windshield shatters, and I feel glass prick my skin. My head strikes the dashboard, and I feel the car flip, before skidding to a stop. 

I can see my blood on the dashboard, and on my hands when I look down. Everything spins, and my eyes close heavily. 

I’ll see you soon Clementine. 

September 23, 2021 18:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Jasey Lovegood
01:51 Sep 29, 2021

I feel like it's always your mission to lure me in with romance Ari, only for it to be taken away from me every time. How you keep doing that? I don't know, but, as always, this story was amazing. I think having the story so short made it simplistic and easy to read, yet it was still told very clearly. The ending was great, written with such a longingness to it, that I couldn't help but feel glad that the main character was being reunited with Clementine. Wonderful work as always, you're nearly at 90 stories! ~ Jasey

Reply

Ari Berri
18:30 Sep 29, 2021

Thank you! I'm actually going to post an longer version of this soon! Same ending, sadly. Thanks for your comments, they always make me feel good. ;)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:38 Sep 30, 2021

Oooh I look forward to it, sad ending or not! Of course, you and your fabulous work deserve it. :)

Reply

Ari Berri
19:02 Sep 30, 2021

I'll tell you when it's out🙃 Thank you!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
04:00 Oct 01, 2021

Yes, please do! I can't wait 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

N O ;w; I saw love, and I ALMOST THOUGHT IT WAS FINALLY HERE LMFAO And the ending was soo good, full of that DeLiCouS sadness. and to think that they might reunite in the afterlife... :') Amazing job, bestie! 90 stories is right around le cornerrr!

Reply

Ari Berri
18:48 Oct 01, 2021

I'm going to post a longer version today probably. Same ending, sadly. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
16:53 Sep 26, 2021

Oh My Goodness!!! so amazing write-up of yours liked it loved it

Reply

Ari Berri
19:03 Sep 27, 2021

Thanks ;)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
12:38 Sep 28, 2021

Anytime ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:43 Oct 03, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.