2 comments

African American Fiction Gay

Cameron Canada walked briskly toward her office. Deep in thought about her business’ imminent collapse, she ignored the gentle ocean breeze and the seagulls screeching their morning greeting. She’d been accused of mismanagement. As she left the boardwalk and turned to the building which housed her small company, she saw an old woman begging for money. I can’t help myself why should I give to a vagrant.

    Clear gray eyes looked up at her. “Ma’am can you spare some change? I haven’t eaten in four days.”

    “Sorry, I’m tapped out,” she said in passing.

    “Please, I’m so hungry.”

***

Canada shook her head and entered the building. She ignored her admin and slammed the door to her office. Her phone rang.

     “You have until Friday to come up with the rent. You owe ten thousand dollars.”

    “Can’t you give me more time.”

    The gruff voice said, “Pay by Friday or you’ll be evicted.”

The phone went dead, and she laid her head on her desk. Whom can I call? She flipped through her phone mentally checking off people who might help. She made calls to no avail. The first wanted fifty percent of her company. She knew that wouldn’t work because the woman had gobbled up smaller entities before. Another wanted sexual favors and twenty-five percent. She wasn’t a whore. At last, she called her mother who had conditions also. Hire your brother and uncle. No way would she hire them. Both were womanizers and alcoholics. Besides, she’d never hear the end of it and lose her ten female employees. A tear slid down her face. Got to get out of here. Need to think.

    “I’ll be back in an hour or so,” she said to her admin.

***

    The swirling fog had come up from the ocean. Like her mind there was clarity and confusion. On the boardwalk she now found the old woman huddled under a blanket. The still clear gray eyes looked up imploringly.

    “Can you please help this old woman get some food. Please?”

Canada wanted to say no. She wanted to tell her she had her own problems. But didn’t. Something about the woman struck a chord. She held out her hand to help her up.

    “Come, let’s go to the diner.”

They entered and the old woman pulled out a pair of aviators.

    “The light bothers my eyes,” she said softly.

   “Hi, I’m Carter, waitress, and owner. I’ll be your server,” she said placing hot coffee with her signature vanilla, nutmeg and brown sugar syrup and half and half on the table along with menus. Carter looked at the old woman and was sure she saw her shake her head as she turned to serve another customer. Was she dreaming?”

     “Ms. Carter, I’ll have the lumberjack with soft scrambled eggs. And give my friend whatever she wants.”

     “Fish and grits, rye toast with butter,” the woman said.

    Carter knew something was up but said, “Right away.”

    The old woman half-turned in the booth said, “Why do you look so sad?”

    “Oh, it’s nothing. Why are you begging? Don’t you have any family?”

    The woman gave a sour laugh, “When one gets old family and friends ignore you. I lost my job, lover, and then apartment. But things will look up. I have an appointment in a newly built complex for seniors but must wait until Monday.”

    “That’s great. Winter will be here soon and being outdoors won’t be good for you.”

    “So, tell me what’s got you looking like your last friend has died.”

 Canada hesitated then all just came out.

    The old woman hugged her and said, “One never knows what the universe has in store. Believe it will happen and it will.”

    “There’s no way for me to get ten thousand dollars by Friday. I’ll have to close my doors and fire the employees. The women who work for me all have families to support.”

    “Will you have enough for severance?”

    “Not as much as I’d like. I can’t even take out a loan with the allegations of mismanagement hanging over my head.”

The old woman probed and found out the allegations had come from a competitor who brought the news to her client had gotten the contract to finish the project. And being men, they colluded to force her out.

    Canada sipped her coffee. “Wow, this is good. Love the syrup. It gives a kick.”

   “Come back after working hours and I’ll add two shots of brandy.”

   “I have enough room in my apartment, thank the stars I own it, come spend the days with me.”

    The old woman declined not wanting to be a bother. She uncoiled from the seat and limped out into the deepening fog. Canada paid and rushed out to find the woman, but she’d disappeared. She returned to her office and made more calls but came up empty. The days dragged. Even with her impending doom, Canada worried about the old woman. She looked around the haunts of the homeless, but no one knew her. She’d vanished.

***

    Friday came and Canada gathered her staff and construction workers. She told them this was their last check. Some mumbled, but they all held each other and cried. She promised to write performance letters of each and was sorry she couldn’t keep the operation going. Before she could finish, the landlord appeared.

    “Do you have my money?”

    “No.”

    “Then I guess we’ll just have to padlock this place.”

The workers pleaded but he said, “I don’t work on charity.” He started to check off the furniture listing how much he could get at auction for it.

    Two women entered. One said, “Mr. Malloy, here’s a cashier’s check for ten grand. Now get out.”

    “Who are you?”

    “Lauren McCutcheon, Ms. Canada’s attorney. Sign this receipt, stating you have been paid in full]. You don’t want to fight me. I’ll bury you and take everything. By the way, this office is closed.” After he signed, she turned to stunned Canada and said, “I’ve gotten you a better office in the Reynolds, Mott, and Baker building.”

    “I can’t afford that. It’s at least five times what I pay here.”

    “No worries. Rent has been paid for a year.”

    “Who? What? How?”

    Lauren laughed, “Your benefactor was the old woman you helped. She’s not old nor a beggar. Come on in Ri.”

    Riana Marie Moore strode into the room. “You helped me when you were going under. I couldn’t let that go unrewarded. Now, I have movers downstairs. They will pack your stuff and you’ll be in a new office Monday. By the way, meet my construction partner, Karen Colt. She’ll give you more business than you can handle. Dinner’s on me at the Oak Room. Who’s ready?”

They cheered and got into the waiting limo.

August 15, 2022 14:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Rob Lees
03:34 Jan 05, 2023

A story with hope at its core is always a winner! This story could have been spread like jam it’s filled with possibilities so the format kept it brief but be encouraged you could write more into them if you wanted too ! Well done There is always gold to be found in simple beginnings !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bobby Whitman
06:01 Aug 25, 2022

One of those good human interest stories with a happy ending. I loved it. Keep up the good work, Lujira, and good luck in the contest.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.