0 comments

Horror Suspense Thriller

“Hey, you wanna do something fun?” My best friend Ivan asked with a gleeful smile. “I have a great idea.”  The blue moonlight shone down on the empty street.  Stars twinkled above us, as I nervously played with my long wavy brown hair that hung around my waist.  My black cotton sundress floated away from my hourglass figure.  His green eyes twinkled in anticipation, patiently waiting for an answer.  Nervously he ran his pale hand through his dark wavy hair.  My heart beat faster at the very sight of him.  Unfortunately, he had a girlfriend named Sally Fitchfield.  Her fake red hair always hung just so around her perfect little shoulders.  That and she always had pink on her petite body at all times.

“I suppose, but it is midnight.” I replied, looking at my cell phone. “What did you have in mind?”  His fingers tugged at his black band shirt, pulling it over his black ripped jeans.  Clearing his throat, he pulled out an old camera from the seventies.  Curiosity curled a crooked grin on my red painted lips. 

“Let’s go to the cemetery.” He hinted seriously. “I heard that these are the perfect cameras to catch a ghost.  I tried asking Sally, but she said no.”  Depression darkened my face at the realization that I was his second choice.  I always was, especially with my parents.  Tears welled in my copper eyes, as I tried to summon up the most authentic smile one could do.  

“Sure.” I mumbled, scrolling down my phone. “I just don’t want to get you in trouble with Sally.”  My phone dinged, waking me up out of my funk.  Any distraction to make this a little better.  Shit it was a message from my parents.  It read Come home right now or get kicked out forever. They will just let me come home tomorrow.  His green eyes bore into mine, noticing the fresh set of disappointment.  Silently, he pulled me to the cemetery, knowing not to even speak a word about my parents.  Hell they were probably drunker than a skunk by now.  Fury twisted a snarl on the corner of my lips at the sight of a shivering pink redhead by the only oak in the sea of gray stones.  

“She told me that she wasn’t coming.” He protested, waving his arms around. “I am sorry.  If you want to go home, you can.  I know how much you hate her.”  Great, now I was stuck with Princess Peach with no place to go.  Biting my tongue, a sick weak smile dimmed my face.  A childish grin brightened his face, lightening my mood ever so lightly.  Gulping, we pressed forward.  No money could have paid enough for the pissed smirk she shot my gothic way.  

“Why the hell is she here?” She complained audibly, glowering in my direction. “I thought it was going to be us.”  Ivan rolled his eyes, and crossed his arms.  His foot tapped angrily against the slick green grass.  

“She is my freaking friend with shitty parents.” He blurted out. “They got way too drunk for her to be safe tonight.  Also we have been neighbors and friends since we were babies.  Shut up.”  Her eyebrows raised as a deep frown formed on her thin pink lips.  Something in her hand glinted in her manicured hands.  Red liquid dripped down on the grass.  

“Wrong answer.” She groaned with gritted teeth. “I told you not to see her ever again.  My parents didn’t get the message either.”  Her blue eyes glittered excitedly, making me look for escape routes.  Desperate time calls for desperate measures.  My shaking fingers speed dialed my parents.  A ring erupted from her pocket into the still air.  He stirred anxiously beside me as he dialed his parents' numbers.  Another ring echoed from her other pocket.  Shock and fright widened his eyes.  Without a moment to think she lunged at Ivan.  Leaping in front of him, the knife made a sickening noise sliding into my stomach.  Pain shot through my body as she twisted the knife ninety degrees.  Hot warm blood soaked my black dress.  A dull throb ached in my thundering head.  Tears welled up in Ivan’s eyes as a snarl curled on the corner of his lips.  

“Who else did you kill?” He yelled, edging towards me slowly. “Tell me now.”  A childish giggle poured from her lips.  Shrugging, she twisted the knife another ninety degrees.  A scream exploded from my bloody lips.  Salty tears fell to the ground below me.  Twenty feet away from me sat a rock, calling out to my trembling hands.

“I have killed the entire town, and I don’t care.” She admitted icily. “No one was perfect, and just annoyed me.  I even killed the cops.  It was easier than you think.”  A chill ran down my spine, as my arms struggled to pull me over to the rock.  Hopefully she didn’t kill the nurses, and doctors in the hospital in the next town over.  That would certainly sign my death certificate.  Grasping for the rock, relief washed over me the moment it was firmly in my fingers.  Her pink boots dug into my side, her face getting closer to mine.  Swinging with all of my might, a cracking sound echoed in the air the moment the rock slammed into her skull.  Stumbling back, she lay on the ground.

“Let’s get you some help.” He quavered, carrying me bridal style. “I will walk us into town, and get a ride when I can.  I just don’t understand why you would sacrifice yourself.”  Owls hooted as fog crept up the sidewalk in our little typical town.  White houses dotted the small lots.  Boots clicked behind us, causing us to look over his shoulder.  Sally stood pissed and bleeding from the hairline of her forehead.  I forgot to hit her twice.  

“I am not done playing.   I am the wolf that always gets the pig.” She teased, swinging a metal bat onto her palm. “ I knew you loved her more than me.  I am here to get rid of my competition.  Let’s call it cleaning up a bit.  Hopefully, I will knock it out of the park.”  A red door was open, begging us to enter.  Ducking in, he slammed the door shut and locked it.  Horror filled my eyes at the sight of bloody mangled body of Mr. Etlan.  Misty, his little westie ran over towards us.  Blood dyed her fur red, nauseating my stomach even more.  A purple leash followed behind her.  

“Just let me die.” I pleaded, picking her up.  Sweet licks soaked my face as he shook his head.  Car keys sat in an acorn bowl by the door.  A plan was forming in his head, only for him not to tell me.  My eyebrows furrowed, reaching for a sharp piece of broken wood.  A flash of pink darted in my side vision. 

“I will not let the one I love die.” He conceded, holding my hand. “I never liked her, in fact I almost broke up with her today.”  My heart nearly pounded out of my chest, making my face flush red.  A silver flash of metal whizzed by my head, the metal twanging against the umbrella holder.  Breathing deeply, the wood slid through her heart poisoning my ears with a sloshing noise.  Red blood dripped down the wood onto my hand.  With a thump, her body collapsed to the floor.  Ivan grabbed the keys and ran into the garage.  A black sedan sat on the right side, waiting to be used.  Groaning, he set me down on the passenger side, climbing into the driver’s side.  Misty laid down on my lap.  The engine roared to life as the door squealed open.  The tires squealed while he peeled onto the street.  Tiredness weighed down on my eyelids.  Darkness swallowed me whole.  

“Where am I?” I shouted, jerking awake.  Bright lights blinded my eyes.  It took a moment to realize that I was in a white hospital room.  Agony shot through me, grasping at the bloody bandages around my small waist.  A familiar touch relaxed my muscles. Wet kisses soaked my cheeks while Misty licked me to death.

“I am so glad you are awake.” He blubbered, tears pouring from the corner of his eyes. “Please don’t do that again.” A wide smile lit up my face, laughter tumbling out of my lips.  Confusion contorted his face.

“I am just glad to be alive.” I admitted sheepishly. “I did it because I love you.” His face flushed scarlet, making me flush bright red.  His lips pressed against mine gently.  A soft pop rang in my ears as he pulled away.  Time melted away to just us.  Sighing, I went to the window only to see her sister glaring back at me, holding a gun.  The glass shattered around me as a bullet whizzed by my head.  Lights flashed as cops dragged her into a cruiser.  He wrapped his arm around my waist. Misty wiggling happily in his arm.  Birds chirped as hope rose up in my mind for the first time in my life.

October 08, 2021 20:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.