3 comments

Funny


“Is there anything else I can help you find? Perhaps a matching scarf to go with your new coat?” Michelle asked the finely dressed incognito celebrity. It was obvious to her that the celebrity’s bodyguard, a large man in a black suit, red tie and loaded down with multiple bags from the malls multitude of stores stood only a few feet from her, that this shopper wasn’t her average shopper.

               “ Good idea girl,” The celebrities bleach blond wig was slightly crooked.  A fact Michelle found entertaining. “Show me.”

               Michelle personally walked her to the display of scarfs, hats and gloves. Pop versions of Christmas Carols blasted loudly in the background.

               “Miss Miss…..can you help me please?” Another older more rotund woman grabbed her as she passed. 

This was something Michelle could never get used to.  Flinching she tried to be polite. “One moment please, I’ll be right with you.”

               The celebrity scowled, “To hell you will darling. You need to help me pick out a robe for my mother after this, and I need something for my sister in law from the big girl’s section. I have no idea what size twelve girls wear. If she’d hit the gym more often than the Starbucks perhaps, she wouldn’t retain her baby weight.”

               Michelle winced.

               The celebrity did a false wave with a forced smile at the older women. She proceeded to grab Michelle by the arm and drag her in a new direction. “How old are you girl. My godchild is about your size, and probably around the same age.”

               “I’m twenty two.” Michelle replied. 

               “oh….I think she’s like twelve or fourteen or something. Come show me what girls that age like.” The celebrity continued to pull her around the store until she racked up a bill of over $3000. Bags upon bags where stacked and sent to the wrapping department.

               “Would you like to purchase a Winter hat or glove set to be donated to a woman in need?” Michelle gestured towards the half full box next to the register. This was an undertaking she’d come up with on her own, a way to give back to women in crisis at the local Homeless shelter.  Most folks picked through the stack choosing ‘bargain’ priced items, but a few had been more generous.

               Her father had unexpectantly become terminally ill years before.  When he passed her mother had struggled with the bills and for a short time they’d found themselves homeless. The shelter had taken them in during one of the coldest winters on record. Michelle had come up with this ‘drive’ to pay back the kindness They’d received. The owners of the department store agreed to host the drive because it could generate more revenue during the season of ‘giving.’

               The celebrity looked at her wide eyed as if slapped. “ I gave that guy with the red bell and bucket a few bucks the other day. I’m done my giving.” She handed Michelle her credit card.

               “Thank you for your purchase.” Michelle coldly handed her back her card and the receipt. She’d been run ragged for the last three hours with this single customer and she couldn’t help but take it personally.

               “A few bucks hardly count as giving.” A customer had stood patiently behind her waiting.  He was a small man, probably about four foot nine. He wore relaxed fit jeans, heavy dark boots, red plaid scarf and a wool lined denim coat. Michelle’s manager offered him to pay at another register, but he’d refused, smiling warmly.

“Glad to wait.” He said and preceded to stand patiently well over twenty minutes. 

               “Excuse me little man.” The celebrity looked down her nose at him. Her wig tilted forward a bit. “Maybe you should run back to Santa and mind your own business.”

               “Why don’t you put your money where your mouth is HoHoHo?” The little man lifted three scarves sets off the display and tossed them on the counter. He preceded to reach into his back pocket for his wallet. “I’ll make up for this Grinch.”

               Michelle put her hand over her mouth trying not to laugh at the celebrities astonished reaction. “Sir, those sets are $45 each. Are you sure?” 

               His bright green eyes sparkled in amusement. He winked at her, ran his fingers through his sandy blond hair, “You know your right,” he looked at her name tag. “Michelle let’s add three more. It’s a worthy cause what the hell.”

               People that had been shopping nearby had begun staring at the situation making the celebrity uncomfortable.

               The celebrity fumbled with her credit card dropping it on the floor. As she bent to pick it up her wig slipped from her head like a dead animal. There was no hiding her brilliant red hair. 

               “That’s Hannah Merc…” One of the onlookers gasped.

               “She’s even more beautiful in real life.” Another loudly whispered.

               “Seems the rug doesn’t match the drapes.” The little man laughed aloud. He’d leapt back a bit when the wig hit the floor.

               Her body guard clumsily tried to help her.

               Hannah looked around, at least a dozen people had recognized her. “Look what you’ve done Michelle.” She hissed at the cashier.

               “Me?” Michelle was genuinely surprised.

               “Don’t blame this nice young lady for your inconsiderate behavior. You play that humanitarian on a daytime soap opera. Your fans just eat that up. If they only knew how far from the truth that character really was. You’re more the Krampus than a Clause.” The little man crossed his arms and stared challengingly at her.

               “Fine, I’ll match Santa’s little elf’s donation and add one.” Hannah threw her card on the counter. “Just hurry up.”

               “In that case….” The little man whistled. Two other smaller men showed up with carts of collected hat’s, scarves and gloves from not only the women’s department but also the children’s and men’s department.

               The men disappeared and reappeared again with two more full carts. “Match that.” The man put down his credit card.   The name read J. Sami. 

               “Mike, Go…..you know what to do.” She yelled at her bodyguard frustrated.

               He shrugged helplessly, sitting down her bags he hurried off to attend to her shopping.

               A cheer of adoration went up from the crowd of people.  People had pulled out their cell phones to record the event live.

               “An amazing donation from the actress Hannah Marc and …..” The manager gestured to the small man who waved off acknowledgement.  Very shortly after the small man disappeared.

               Michelle quickly worked, scanning the upcs and filling the box. Her heart soared as before the first transaction was completed the box was overfull and the warehouse had to bring out another. 

                              The crowd cheered and applauded the little man as Michelle announced his total. Although they cheered even louder when Hannah completed her transaction topping his by $20.  They called her generosity inspiring, ignoring that it was her attempt to save face.

               “Be sure. I will never shop here again.” She hissed at Michelle under her breath before leaving.

               By this time reporters had arrived, and the store was over run. There were no questions for her so quietly Michelle requested a break from her manager and slipped unnoticed out of the store.  Michelle was exhausted and hungry but felt herself glowing. 

               “It’s a shame, they still don’t get what it’s really about.” The little man seemed to appear out of nowhere holding a tray with two take out containers and two Starbucks cocoas with extra whip cream and sprinkles.

               “It doesn’t matter.” Michelle smiled. “In the end it all works out, regardless of her true intentions.  Thank you, Mr. Sami. Your gesture meant so much to me personally.”

               “Jago to my friends. Join me Michelle?” Jago smiled warmly. His dimples added a completeness to his charm.

               “Answer me one question first?” Michelle requested. 

               Jago nodded.

               “Why did you do it?” Michelle asked.

               “If I told you the simple and short version you wouldn’t believe me.” Jago explained.

“Try me.” Michelle replied.

“You’re on Santa’s good list.” Jago sat the tray down on a nearby table and motioned for her to join him.

“Your right. That explains nothing.” She laughed her stomach growling a bit as she noticed the takeout was vegie fried rice with Spicy tuna sushi on the side.

 “I can tell you the longer version. It might just take more than one date.” Jago pulled out her chair for her.

               Michelle blushed. 

               “That is of course if you agree to seeing me again.” Jago’s confidence failed only momentarily. They were from different worlds, and he was crossing some professional boundaries. Elves were not encouraged to pursue romantic relationships with the humans they were assigned to help, but there was something about Michelle. 

               “I’d like nothing more.” Michelle replied sitting to lunch.

December 11, 2019 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Juliet Tullett
08:40 Jul 02, 2021

This is funny.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ahmed Draz
20:45 Dec 16, 2019

very amusing story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dorann Weber
16:40 Dec 12, 2019

Wonderful read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.