0 comments

Sad Happy Fiction

Empty, I felt empty. The pale moonlight bathed the green lush grass of the cemetery. My black skirt rustled as a soft breeze blew around me. Sniffling, my fingers shook while playing my red bow on my black lace blouse. My brown hair was twisted into bun. Today was his funeral. A car accident tore my true love away from me. My heart beat faster as a twig snapped behind me. A touch on my shoulder made me jump out of my skin.

"Let's go home." My friend Amy pleaded gently. "Rosie, come on." My fist clenched tightly, causing a stream of blood to drip from my hands. My eyebrows furrowed while a frown darkened my face. Large salty tears dripped onto the ground.

"Sure." I uttered, playing with my textured bangs. "Just leave me alone when we get home." Amy's curly hair bounced up and down as she nodded. Her blue eyes were bloodshot with the pain of grief. Tiredness washed over me as dark trees flitted by my window until we pulled up to our brick apartment building. Numbly my feet dragged up the stairs, and into our small apartment. Four white walls felt like a prison, causing me to just sit on my black bedding. My alarm clock blinked at me, teasing my inability to sleep. A sense of relief washed over me when my alarm screamed at me. Time for work. Nothing is what I felt as my morning routine passed by quickly. My red lace dress hugged my hourglass figure. My black boots clicked against the black marble floor. A gust of wind blew my hair all around me as I ran out to my black. Empty, I felt empty. The engine roared to life when my seat belt clicked. The morning sun rose just as I pulled into my private office's parking lot. Work would distract me from my pain. An heavy oak door creaked open to dimly lit room. Two wooden desks sat next to each other. It felt like a ghost was just sitting there reminding me of him. As a private detective, work was needed to clear my mind. Sighing, my black office chair creaked beneath me as I sat down. A yellow folder stared up at me, taunting my curiosity. Shaking my hands opened it to reveal pictures of the very accident that took him away. Burning hot rage torched through my veins. A scream exploded from my mouth, flinging the papers onto the dusty floor.

"Excuse me." A small voice asked, coming into my office. A small brown haired child flicked on the lights. His copper eyes bore into mine, nearly seeing into my soul. My heart beat slowed down, causing me to take a deep breath. Tears started to pour from his big round eyes.

"What's wrong?" I inquired, offering him my arms. "I can help you." His little body slammed into my arms. Sobs shook his body as his little arms held me tighter. His clothes looked filthy upon closer inspection.

"My daddy died in a car accident, but no one came to get me." He sobbed uncontrollably. "I saw your ad on TV. My mommy left me when I was a baby." His expression looked familiar, almost like him.

My voice shook violently.

"Who was your dad?" I asked as my eyes welled up. A nervous gulp escaped him as he looked up at me.

"His name was Daniel Smit." He squeaked out. "I miss him so much! He had a girlfriend. Are you her?" My heart froze with shock. A long pause hung heavily in the air as I worked up to a warm smile. For the first time his eyes glittered excitedly, fresh with hope.

"O-okay. Do you want to get some food?" I offered with a small grin. "Also you can clean up at my place." He nodded happily as we walked out to my car. His seat belt clicked as my engine roared to life. He just stared into my eyes until we pulled into a drive-thru at Burger House.

"Can I have some chicken nuggets?" He begged with puppy dog eyes. "Daddy always got them for me." Within moments we were sitting in park looking out at a large green pond. Crunching filled the air as the nuggets disappeared in a flash.

"What is your name?" I probed calmly. "You can tell me." A sad look darkened his eyes, as he looked away.

"James Smit." He stated with a sigh. "My mommy's name was Sandy Thomas. Sadness drowned my mind, flooding me with depression. She was the driver that killed him. Even worse, she was pronounced dead upon arrival. A little boy was never found.

"We need to go." I mumbled as a lump formed in my throat. His little fingers gripped mine as we walked over to my car. Like a good kid, he clicked his seat belt. Breathing deeply, the trees flashed by my car window until we pulled into the police station. Tears formed in my eyes, causing my vision to blur. An officer approached my window and knocked.

"I have James Smit. He came to my office." I cried out. "I don't think he has family." James sat in the backseat, looking around.

The black haired officer guided us into the sheriff's office. A tall white haired man tipped his cowboy hat at me. The outdated walls frightened me. A woman in a white suit clicked in behind me. The blue folder in her hands told me she was a social worker.

"Do you still want to be a foster parent?" The dark haired woman asked with a rehearsed smile. "It says here that you completed the program just last month." James looked over at me with puppy dog eyes. My heart melted into a puddle.

"I sure do. It was our dream to adopt since I can't have children." I blubbered. She set the paperwork down. Eagerly, the pen slid over all of the lines. Joy filled my dead heart for the first time in a while.

"Congratulations." She stated, leaving the room. James wrapped his arms around me.

"Thank you, mommy!" He yelled with tears in his eyes. Sobs shook our bodies as we embraced each other even tighter.

A few months passed. I owned the local book store. We lived just above the bookstore in the apartment. Honestly, the other job was just too sad for me. Today was special. Today was adoption day. A strict looking man in a courtroom made it official. James was my son. Who knew a few months ago that my heart would feel full again? The green pond shimmered ahead of us. Crunching filled the air as we ate our chicken nuggets. Thank you Dannie.

August 24, 2021 17:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.