0 comments

Asian American LGBTQ+ Romance

Luna's eyes were as wide as saucers as they stared at the scene right in front of her; Denise on all fours on the living room of her parents' house as two girls were riding her back and making lion noises. The two girls; Dana and Jade, an eight and six year old respectively, were having the best day of their lives as they commanded their Aunt Denise to take them to the kitchen where the "Wicked Witch" was keeping the "Damsel in distress" hostage.

"Are you sure the witch has Princess Bubblegum?" Denise asked the two girls

"Yes! Now onwards, our trusty lioness!" Dana exclaimed as she pointed her finger towards the kitchen

"Hold on then, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!' Denise roared as she crawled her way towards the kitchen door where her mother was already waiting for them, laughing hard at the three's antics.

"Oh dear, oh dear. Look who we have here? Speak your name and purpose" Diana, Denise's mother, said in a posh accent

"It is us, the Heroes of the Song Kingdom, and this is our lion, Denise the IV, mighty as her father, she is. We come here to rescue the Princess that you have held captive" Dana announced in her best British accent

"What evidence do you have on that accusation?!" Diana asked in a horrified voice, clutching her chest for more dramatic effect.

"Princess!" Jade called.

A bark erupted from the kitchen and out came a very happy golden retriever that was wearing a pink tutu dress around her hips, her tail wagged happily as she licked Denise on the face. Luna gasped at the sight, and she was soon enough ready to throw herself off a cliff when she saw Denise laugh hysterically at the action done to her by the dog. The two girls then scrambled off Denise and started petting the retriever who happily accepted the affection she was receiving.

"You doing okay there, lioness?" Diana smirked as she helped her daughter up.

"All good" Denise grinned

Luna was losing all sense of her sanity as she looked at the very different side of her girlfriend. Luna was used to Denise of course, they've been dating for almost two years now and they just moved in together last month after they decided a small apartment would be better than a small dorm at campus. Luna's known Denise for almost 6 years, all of high school and two years into college. Denise had always been cold and quite intimidating, she excelled in academics and extra curricular activities as she was a champion swimmer back in high school, so everyone was either idolizing her or ignoring her for being too good at everything. She had a reputation of snapping at people and putting them in their place, she could shrink people into tiny marbles whenever they'd look at her badly or bad mouthed her. She had a few friends to begin with, and she trusted only a few to hang out with. Luna didn't dare to look at Denise all throughout high school, only because she thought the girl would probably fry her alive if she ever laid eyes on her--heck, Luna found herself feeling guilty every time she thought of the girl; long story short, Luna Ohm made it her life mission to stay away from Denise Song.

God probably snorted when Luna planned that out, because fast forward to college, Luna ended up being roomed together with Denise. Fast forward a few more months when Luna realized she started falling for the girl who never once glanced at her in a nice way. But by sheer dumb luck, when Luna got a tipsy after a bottle of soju at some stupid room party next door, Denise had taken the responsibility of taking care of her and when morning came, Luna woke up to a peacefully sleeping Denise snuggled up against her, and so she deemed it necessary to kiss the girl awake; the moment Denise kissed back was the entrance of the sheer dumb luck. Alas, despite the clear indication of them officially being a couple; Denise was still cold and distant, and slightly mean. 

So Luna hoped Diana could forgive the constipated look that Luna was giving right now. Not her best moment, and being constipated wasn't exactly what Luna was going for for her first meeting with Denise's family.

"And you are?" Diana looked at Luna

Luna snapped out of her thoughts and smiled at the older woman who was definitely a copy of Denise.

"Luna Ohm. It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Song" 

Diana laughed and waved her off.

"No, silly. Are you a magical creature or a messenger of sorts?" Diana asked, her eyes sparkling with joy.

Luna frowned, confused at the question. Clearly she was human and a Performing Arts major.

"She's the goddess of Hongik University. She came together with our lioness" Dana said with great enthusiasm

"She is stunning as a goddess." Diana nodded

"But why am I not a goddess then?" Denise pouted

Luna had to hold back a whimper when she saw her girlfriend pout, because never in her life did she think she'd ever see her girlfriend be this childish and adorable.

"But you are! You're an a-animagus?" Dana said, she frowned at the last part, not entirely sure if she pronounced the word right

"Well that's better! Thank you, my little Heroes" Denise grinned as she gave each girl a kiss on the forehead, and the dog a soft pat on the head and little scratch behind the ear.

Denise then stood up next to Luna and intertwined their hands together.

"This is Luna, my girlfriend that I told you about" Denise told her mother happily

"This is my mom, Diana. The mother that I've told you about" Denise smirked at Luna

Luna chuckled and nodded.

"Very nice to meet you, Mrs. Song" Luna said

"You too, dear. Oh and Denny, sweetie, your Dad's on his way back here with those turtle onesies you asked to buy"

"Onesies?" Luna muttered

The word onesies and the surprising nickname of her girlfriend in one sentence didn't seem right at all. Denise liked wearing black, she had nothing but dull colors in her closet, she probably hated the sun if Luna asked her. Point is, Denise didn't like a lot of things that involved happy feelings or bubbly appearances. And she's pretty sure Denise would smack her if she ever called her "Denny."

"Yep, onesies for us to wear tonight" Denise informed her casually, an unusual smile plastered on her face

"You're going to wear one?!" Luna could not the excitement bubbling inside her.

Denise raised her eyebrows at Luna who almost crouched before the scary gaze.

"We're all wearing one. Tonight we race like turtles as per Jade's request" Denise said as she then gave Luna a peck on the lips.

"Well why we wait for the King to come home, why not show Luna around? Your tree house can probably still hold two people up" Diana gave them a big smile 

-

Luna's not so sure if the treehouse could hold them both up but Denise practically tugged Luna down to sit on her lap in case the treehouse gave way. It was a small space, obviously belonged to a much younger Denise. There were posters of girl groups, boy bands and old movie posters plastered all over, and a few drawings and notes by grade school Denise had its place beside the only window. The walls were painted a bright yellow that had little daisies all over the place, the ceiling was painted the night sky with plastic glow in the dark stars glued on it. Luna almost squealed when she saw two lava lamps on the makeshift desk that Denise had, and the small collection of medals from her elementary and high school swim meets.

Luna almost wanted to slap herself. She was sure this was some kind of simulation or maybe Denise decided to become a YouTuber who pranks her girlfriend, or maybe she's about to get punked, or worse...Alien abduction. Yep, that sounds just about right. The aliens saw her, abducted her then placed her in a different universe to act as their test rat. She can already see a huge green headed dude peering down at her and scribbling down on their clipboard, questioning her life decisions.

"My favorite color is yellow" Denise spoke

Luna almost choked on her own spit.

"Mom always loved daisies so she whined and whined until Dad gave in and painted them all over the walls" Denise ran her fingers against the chipping paint

"We'd spend our Friday nights here just eating junk food and watching reruns on Mom's laptop. Then we'd draw the stars and try to figure out the constellations. Drew hated it because he can't seem to find his inner artist" Denise spoke with such happiness in her voice, and she made sure to squeeze Luna's hand from time to time

"Of course I grew out of this treehouse but then those two kids came" Denise chuckled "Drew told them to go crazy over this old thing and next thing I knew I'm writing wonderful fairy tales and reenacting it with them."

Luna caressed the smaller girl's cheek.

"You were acting like a squirrel"

Luna blinked rapidly.

"Huh?"

Denise giggled. 

She freaking giggled!

"Squirrels are either hyperactive or statuesque. There's no in between. You've been acting like that since we arrived." Denise said

Luna laughed and wrapped her arm around her girlfriend's shoulders, she slid down a bit to be able to snuggle against the smaller girl.

"I just never thought you could be so carefree when you're with your family" Luna sighed when she felt Denise drop a firm kiss on her forehead

"Well, I wanted to find a girl who's willing to deal with my Lord Voldemort mask before I finally let my inner Princess Anna loose" Denise chuckled

"And you chose me?" Luna asked, looking straight into bright brown orbs

"Depends"

"On what?"

"If you win the turtle race tonight"

Luna laughed out loud at that. Okay, maybe Luna was far off with her impression of this adorable baby holding her tightly with this lovestruck look on her face.

"I love you like this" Luna whispered

"Just like this?" Denise questioned 

"Especially like this. It's...new and refreshing"

"It doesn't turn you off that your girlfriend still plays house with her two nieces and wears adorable onesies?" Denise grinned

Luna sat up, the floorboards squeaked. She cupped Denise's face and gently kissed her.

"Depends"

"Depends on what?"

"If you agree on wearing onesies every Friday night with me while me drown ourselves in ice cream and Disney movies." 

Denise smiled widely, her face so young and beautiful and pure and just...happy.

"Okay"

November 25, 2020 12:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.