Out in the Rain

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Write a story that hinges on the outcome of a coin flip.... view prompt

2 comments

Kids Teens & Young Adult

Out in the Rain

My gaze was fixed so intently on the dice. It felt like this one decision would change my whole way of life, and who knew, maybe it would. The dice tumbled around cupped in my hands. If it landed on six, then yes, my dreams would be accomplished, but if it was anything else… well… then no.

              I looked at my mother’s intense gaze. I remembered how she gives me that loving look, how she encourages me on, wishes for me to grow up being the best I could be. But that look wasn’t on her face now. She doesn’t want it to land on six, otherwise why would she make me roll the dice in the first place?

              I let go. The dice pirouette on the table for a moment, then stopped. I looked at the number that it had landed on.

              Two.

              No! It had failed again. “Bad luck Sweetie,” my mum moved closer to me. “No cat this year.”

              I had wanted a cat ever since I was four, but my mum always told me they were too expensive. We had compromised that we could roll a dice to decide whether we would get a cat or not. If it landed on six, then we would; if it landed on anything else then we wouldn’t. That was the promise. But each year we tried it, it always landed on something other than six, all the way up to my twelfth birthday. And I would be thirteen in a couple of days.

              “It’s okay, Sweetie,” my mum wrapped her arms around me, “We can try again next year.”

              Her embrace that usually seemed so warm and soothing now felt icy cold. I could also see relief beyond the kindness in her eyes.

              “Why don’t I leave you in peace for a while?” And with that, I was alone in my bedroom.

              I stared blankly at the dice on my desk. Two wasn’t good enough. None of the numbers were good enough. Except six. Then suddenly a wave of sadness and loneliness hit me. Tears started trickling down my cheeks. I told myself that it would be okay, that I could try again next year, but I couldn’t stop them from falling.

              I picked up the dice and wearily rolled it again. It landed on a six. If only I had rolled that a moment ago, then I could have got a cat. I rolled it once more. Six.

              Six

              Six

              Six

              How could that be?

              I left and shut the door behind me. Maybe a peaceful walk through the woods would calm me down. I took the path on the opposite side of the road and went over the stile.

The tall trees twisted to form a magnificent canopy. Birdsong sounded from the undergrowth, filling the air with silver music. Sunlight dappled the floor around me, a cool breeze blowing hair across my face.

              Then all of a sudden, a wail of pain split the calmness. I froze. A shiver ran down my spine. Just what could that be?

              It sounded again. The noise seemed to come from the bracken lining the side of the cobbled footpath. I leaned closer and parted the stems. There curled up in a ball was a strange creature of some sort. Its grey fur was ragged and looked like it hadn’t been cleaned for months. And along it were deep scratches, with large amounts of blood oozing out. It wailed again.

              I had to look away. This creature had clearly been attacked, and I couldn’t just leave it here. But what could I do? I knew that I had to comfort it, at least.

              “It’s okay,” I murmured, “I’m here for you now.

              It must have heard me, as it lifted up its head for the first time. I saw that it had pointy ears, and amber eyes full of distress. My heart quickened. It was a cat!

              I very gently picked him up, as if he was a piece of glass. He probably hadn’t eaten for a while since he weighed less than my large tub of pencils. I took him home and luckily managed to sneak him past me mother’s watchful eye, and into my room. I had nowhere to put him, so a cushion would have to do as a bed for now.

              I closely examined him. It wasn’t as bad as I had imagined, for most of the blood was not his own. The scratches down his side were red and swollen, but they weren’t bleeding so much anymore. He looked exhausted; his eyes shut and his breathing shallow. I cleared the blood with a wet tissue, giving the swollen parts an ice pack to cool down.

              Then something came to my mind. Why hadn’t I named him? It should be a calm name, one that captured the serenity of the forest, and not this horrible state. After all, without all the wounds he would have seemed almost elegant. I went through all the possible names in my head… Leaf… Dew… Rain… Rain! It was perfect.

              “Hello Rain,” I whispered. “Welcome to the family.”

              Despite what I just said, I was sure my mother wouldn’t accept Rain. She would think I had found some random stray, but I knew Rain deserved better. He might die out there in the wild, vulnerable to all sorts of predators and dangers. So, I decided it would be best to keep him a secret. Surely a cat couldn’t be that hard to hide?

              The question was; how could I feed him? Rain would obviously need food, as all animals do, though it would be tough sneaking meat into my bedroom.

              Rain suddenly lifted his head. He let out a low and rasping meow. Maybe he was thirsty? I wouldn’t be able to give him any food, but water would be easy. I took a small bowl from the kitchen and filled it with water. I placed it in front of him and he lapped at it eagerly, and kept on going until the bowl was empty.

              For the food I realised he would have to catch something himself. I accompanied him outside while he scanned the bushes for possible prey. A small sparrow hopped along the pavement. Surely Rain wouldn’t eat that? I was being foolish. Of course he was going to eat it! He wouldn’t risk his survival for a tiny bird.

              He crouched down ready to pounce. I was amazed at how well he could blend into the shadows of the bush. Just as the bird was about to take off again, he leaped, pinning it to the ground. It writhed around in Rain’s grip until he devoured it in less than ten seconds.

              “You must have been hungry,” I commented, petting him. It surprised me how he could hunt when he clearly hadn’t fully healed yet. I picked him up and took him back inside.

--------------------------------------------

              I woke up earlier than usual. It would be my birthday tomorrow, though that was not the reason. I was worried about Rain. It was his first night here, and I had no idea if he was okay.

              Blinking sleep from my eyes, I got out of bed. I glanced across to the cushion that he had slept on. My breath caught in my throat. He wasn’t there!

I swallowed back my fear, obviously he couldn’t have gone anywhere. I scanned the room, and seeing nothing, began looking under piles of drawings and into small spaces. But after a few minutes I realised he wasn’t in here. I began to panic. I searched the whole house, peeking into every corner and space.

“What are you searching for, Charlotte?” My mother questioned me.

“Err… homework,” I replied from the top of my mind. I couldn’t possibly tell her the truth.

I decided to go back up to my room, and that’s when my blood turned to ice- the window was open. He wasn’t anywhere in the house, which meant there was just one place where he could be: outside. I tried to tell myself that he was a stray and can survive out there, but he had already been attacked once and I couldn’t allow him to be injured again.

I went outside to go and find him. I reckoned that he’d be in the woods since that was where I had found him yesterday. I followed the same cobbled path and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw him in the undergrowth, searching for something.

“Raaaiiiin?” I called. He turned to look at me. His amber eyes stared at me with a sad expression. It was almost as if they were speaking to me.

Thank you for taking care of me. But I prefer it in the wild.

A stone weighed down my heart. Even though it had only been a day since I first saw him, it felt like he was part of my family. My mother was kind, but was always too busy, and I never really had anything to do. The same loneliness I had felt before now surrounded me.

But I at least had to say goodbye. I picked him up and squeezed him tight.

“You be a good cat, okay?” I murmured. And with that, he was gone.

---------------------------------------------

              It was my birthday today, but I didn’t feel like it. If only Rain had stayed for my birthday. If only Rain could have stayed with us forever and became our pet.

              “What’s wrong?” my mother asked. “Don’t you want to open your presents?”

              I shook my head.

              “Come on, it’s your birthday! At least open this one,” she persuaded, pushing a large box in front of me.

              I felt some movement coming from inside it. That instantly made me curious. I noticed three holes at the top of it. The tag on it read:

              Happy birthday! I got you this from the pet adoption centre. I hope you enjoy!

              I knew what it was. I peeled open the wrapping, that had rainbow pictures of cats on it, and opened the lid of the box. Something furry leaped onto me. Could it be…

              A cat! I very gently unhooked the cat’s claws from where it was clinging from my shoulders and examined it. She had a soft grey pelt that reminded me of Rain’s, although it was a bit of a lighter shade. Her eyes were pure green and shone with a mixture of curiosity and anxiety.

              “Thank you so much!” I exclaimed to my mother. Turning back to the cat, I added “Welcome to the family! I will call you Socks! Mum, are we really going to keep her as our pet?”

              She turned and smiled at me. “Well, what do you think?”

January 12, 2023 20:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

U Jain
16:13 Feb 03, 2023

A cute story. A well deserved birthday gift for Charlotte.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
02:00 Jan 15, 2023

Such a heart-warming story! Through your writing, I could really sympathize with your main character's desire to have a cat and sadness when Rain left again, as cats sometimes do. The ending made it all better, though. Great writing, Thomas, and thanks for the interesting story! Good luck this week (and welcome to Reedsy!). :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.