1 comment

Fiction Inspirational

Daniel yawned as he entered the Café Bean for his shift. Sleep had been elusive to him the night before but he still had a job to do. Yawning again, he weaved through the few customers to the back room, hung up his coat, tied his apron then punched in.

“Morning, Daniel.” Margot’s voice startled him. “Apologies, but you know you’re almost an hour early.” Brown eyes blinked. “You don’t start ‘til seven.” She pointed to the posted schedule, and the corresponding date showed that he was early.

“Well, I’ll be.”

“Tell you what: go ahead and start, and I’ll let you go an hour early.”

“Cheers, boss.” He tied his long brown hair into a ponytail then stepped to the front.

“Morning, Daniel.” Benny called. “You’re a bit ahead today.”

He shrugged. “Couldn’t sleep. Mind making me some shots?”

“How many?”

“Four, with some of that new salted caramel syrup.

“Coming up.”

“Morning, Adam.” Daniel greeted the tall barista, who was coming up from the basement.

“Morning. Care to take some of this off my hands before I drop it?”

“You bet.” He took some of the syrup bottles and put them in their places as Benny was finishing his pick-me-up.

“Here ya are, mate.”

Daniel threw the espresso back in one swig. “That’ll keep me going. So, where am I at today?”

“You’ve got food.” Adam said. “Jewel, Ange, and Terry should be here soon, so they’ll assist with the morning rush.”

“Right on. Still can’t believe Terry’s dating Roger Waters’ grandson.”

“Seems to be a trend ‘round here as of late.” Benny said, serving up a four-drink order. “Only hope Selene doesn’t come down with a case of Celebrity Fever.”

“Same for Lily.”

“And Anne.”

“Time to get to work, boys.” Jewel, Terry, and Ange entered the shop and a line of customers were behind them.

“Get on the floor, ladies. We’re gonna need ya.” Adam looked at the rapidly filling interior. “Showtime.”

Three hours later, Tiffany, Jamie and Tom had shown up so breaks could start. Daniel, along with everyone else, were exhausted but started cleaning and stocking everything in sight to prepare for the lunchtime crowd. When all was said and down, he clocked out for his lunch. Instead of sitting in the café, he opted for the back. ‘Might take a snooze while I’m back here.’ He thought as he sat down with a chicken-bacon sandwich and a green tea latte. He bit into the sandwich. ‘Hmm… maybe I won’t need to. Think the food’ll revive me.’

Picking up his mobile, he opened up his music and hit shuffle. The playlist cycled through everything from Black Sabbath to Wagner, and when he was about to clock back in, one of his favourites came on. “Damn. Haven’t heard this in a while.” He hummed along to Pink Floyd’s Echoes, Part I as he went back onto the floor, and continued to do so even after he shut it off.

“… so, that’s a smoked salmon bagel and a black tea latte.” Angelina was ringing someone up, and Daniel started preparing the food without even looking at who was ordering. “That’ll be £12.45.” Keeping in time with the music in his head, the long-haired barista finished his task then walked the food over to the pick-up area then, as if it was nothing at all, he started singing:

“Overhead, the albatross hangs motionless upon the air. And deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves. The echo of a distant time, comes willowing across the sand. And everything is green and submarine. And no one showed us to the land, and no one knows the wheres or whys. But something stirs and something tries, and starts to climb towards the night.”

“Wow.” He paused and looked up. On the other side of the counter was Roger, and he was looking at the barista in awe. “You sound just like…”

“David Gilmour, I know. I get that every time I sing. I guess the talent skips a generation as my Dad can’t hold a note to save his life.” Roger blinked. “Terry never told you?”

“I never knew you could sing until now.” The redhead said behind him. “But I wish I’d known earlier as you’ve got a fantastic voice.”

He coloured up. “Cheers. Never really thought I had that great of one myself but you’re your own worst critic.”

“She’s right though. You’ve got talent.” The bassist picked up his order. “When do you get done?”

“In an hour. Why?”

“I have the day off from practice, so I’ll be around until Terry gets off. Come speak to me when you’re done though.” Without any further elaboration, Roger took a seat at one of the out-of-the-way tables.

“What’s that about?” Benny asked, getting ready to leave.

“No idea, mate.”

“You think he’s gonna ask you to audition?” Jewel piped in, pulling shots.

Daniel shrugged. “Not in my lifetime. I can’t sing that well.”

“We think you can.” Terry said, practicing on the third bar.

“Glad you guys think so, but let’s face it: I’m no David Gilmour.”

“You’d be astonished. Afternoon, everyone.”

“Afternoon, Benny.” Adam closed his cash drawer. “All yours, Tiff.” The blond took his place. “See you all later.”

“’Til tomorrow then.” Daniel said. He checked the time, noting he had thirty minutes left. “Hey, Ange. You need anything else before I’m done?”

The brunette looked around. “Think you can stock up the spirits before you go?”

“On it.” He headed towards the basement, grabbing the liquor cage keys and a dry box on the way down. As he was selecting, he thought about what Roger could’ve wanted. The idea that kept coming to mind was he was gonna ask Daniel to sing in the band but the Silver Coffin Sound already had a front man. Seth had one of those unique voices that couldn’t be taught and his guitar work had surpassed guys like Clapton and Hendrix. So, what could the bassist possibly want with Daniel?

Shaking his head, he hoisted the liquor bottles upstairs and set them up so Jewel could easily reach whatever she needed.

“Appreciated, Daniel.” The black-haired barista called as she was in the middle of a line of drinks.

“I’m out then. Back tomorrow.” He waved to his co-workers, put his apron up, punched out, and grabbed his coat.

“Something for the walk home?” Tiffany asked him.

He stopped and looked at the menu boards. “You know what, Tiff? Think I’ll take you up on that offer. Medium salted caramel latte, with some mint chocolate mixed in.”

“Coming right up.” Daniel patiently waited at the end of the counter and looked around to see Roger still sitting at his table, his nose buried in a book. ‘Do I slip out while he’s occupied or should I see what he wants? Curious about it myself.’

“Order up, Daniel.” Jewel slid him his beverage.

He took a sip. “Wow, that’s bloody good!”

“Like I’d ever serve you a bad drink.”

“I’d question if you did. Laters.” He looked at the door then at the bassist’s table again, took a deep breath, and walked over to the musician. “Afternoon,” Roger looked up from his reading. “So, what was it you wanted to speak to me about?”

“Have a seat and I’ll tell ya.” He obliged. “I suppose you already guessed, so I’ll skip to the point: would you want to audition for the band?”

Daniel blinked. ‘Did he really just ask me that?’

“You don’t have to answer me now but I would need one a week from now.”

“Can I ask why?”

“You can sing, for one, and for two, Seth isn’t doing so well. We don’t know what’s wrong with him but he’s not himself anymore.” Roger’s voice started to thicken but he cleared his throat. “Before he’s too far gone, he wants someone to take his place who he knows will do him proud.”

“That’s… quite the offer. I honestly don’t know what to say. Believe I’ll consider it.”

“That’s all I ask. No sense jumping into this half-assed.” Roger wrote on a piece of paper. “Here’s my mobile. Give me a ring on what you decide and we’ll go from there.”

“I will.” Daniel gave no indication one way or the other. “Speak to you soon.” With a handshake, Daniel left the coffeeshop to head home. When he got to his flat, he immediately called Anne.

“What’s up, babe?”

“Well, you’re not gonna believe this…”

“That’s… unbelievable! Are you gonna take him up on it?”

“Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t think I’d be up to snuff. I mean, we’re talking about replacing Seth Barrett here.”

“True but Roger must think you’ve got talent if he’s asking you to take the job.”

“I’m not so sure, Anne. I can’t sing like that.”

“Come on, Danny. I’ve heard you and you’re brilliant.”

“You’re my girlfriend. You’re gonna say stuff like that.”

“Daniel Gilmour: how long have you known me?”

“Five years.”

“And how long have we been going together?”

“Three.”

“Then you should know by now that I don’t just say anything to placate you. Think about the offer. You might never get another one.”

He thought about what she said before answering. “Alright, love. I’ll give it some thought. Think I’ll practice tonight too in case I decide to audition.”

“If you want a sounding board, I can be over after I’m finished with my essay.”

“Think that’s a great idea. Phone me when you’re on your way.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too.” Closing his mobile, Daniel looked around at the state of his living space. If Anne was dropping by later, he’d better have the place cleaned up.

“Damn, babe. I knew you were brilliant but you’ve hit another level.” Anne sat in the armchair, listening as Daniel finished another song. “I seriously think you should phone Roger now and tell him you accept.”

He looked sheepish and scratched his head. “You think so?” She nodded vigorously. “I’m still not sure yet.” Her jaw dropped. “Here’s why: I need to build my confidence first, otherwise, I’ll get stage fright at the audition. It’s why I never even considered trying for a band before.”

His brunette girlfriend sat back. “You definitely don’t wanna have a freak-out mid-note. By the way, did Roger say you’d be completely replacing Seth?”

“He said Seth wants someone to take his place whom he knows will do him proud.”

“You know what that means, right?” He shook his head. “You’ll have to play guitar.” His eyes went round. “Don’t know how, do you?” He shook his head again, panicked. “Okay. We’ve got some work to do then. Lucky for you, my brother plays about as good as Tony Iommi. What’s your shift tomorrow?”

“7-3.”

“I’ll message him and tell him what’s up. I’m sure he’ll be glad to help.”

“How come he doesn’t play professionally?”

She shrugged. “Alaine has him on a leash. Says she doesn’t want him to be ‘tempted’ on tour or whatever. Think the girl’s got a screw loose or something. Either way, I’ll tell Monty to call around four.”

“I don’t know how to thank you, Anne.”

She stood up and put her arms around him. “Just promise me one thing: if this works out for you, don’t get a big head. Wouldn’t wanna have to pop it for you.”

He kissed her. “As long as I have you to ground me.” He sighed. “You think I should at least let Roger know what my line of thinking is?”

“Absolutely.”

“Alright.” He pulled the number from his pocket and dialed.

“Hello?”

“Roger? This is Daniel. I have something to tell you.”

December 18, 2020 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

22:23 Dec 23, 2020

Good Evening . your writing is smooth and good too, but it seems to me that the title has nothing to do with it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.