0 comments

General

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beeeeeeeeeeeep!

“What!” exclaimed Nicky Troy as she slammed her hand down on top of her alarm clock. It was chore day and on chore day everyone wakes up at 7:00 sharp. Today was no different, Nicky hobbled out of bed, put some clothes on and headed to the kitchen to see the chore chart. The chore chart is the chart on the wall that gives everyone their chores, it rotated weekly and this week Nicky had the worst of them all. She had to go shopping with her mom. Her mom could spend all day shopping if she wanted to and with the monster of a shopping list they had, she knew that they wouldn't be back until the sun was down. When she had home chores like clean the living room or wash the car she could do the chore then have the rest of the day to herself but not today.

She got her shoes and headed to the car with her mom. She had to do something to make this better.

"Mom?" she asked "can, er, we go to the coffee shop and get a treat"

Her mom answered without hesitation. "No"

Nicky's jaw dropped in the back seat. What happened to mom! Nicky wondered She always says yes! then her eyes widened. What if this an alien that took over mom! She sank back into her seat. She wanted to stay as far away from this imposter as possible. When they finally arrived at the store she got out of the car and stared at her mom, trying to find something out of place with her mom to prove her theory. She took a step closer as her mom shut the car door. She was squinting now but still couldn't find anything but that didn't mean she was dropping her theory.

"What are you doing?" Her mom walked around her and started towards the store.

Nicky followed close behind, but now too close(she made sure of it, she didn't want to be taken over by an alien too) They walked into the store and grabbed a cart. As Nicky walked around the store she saw more people that looked suspicious. There was a woman in the cereal aisle that was looking through the shelf into the other aisle. Nicky peeked around the corner to see if there was someone there but she saw no one. She peeked around the corner to see if the woman was still there. She was, just sitting there looking through the shelf.

"Mommy!" Nicky said tugging on her sleeve and pointing at the lady at the end of the aisle but before she could say anything her mom pulled her hand down and said "It's rude to point Nicky!" and walked out of the aisle.

Nicky glared at her mom but then remembered oh yeah, the alien is controlling her and walked up to her mom and said "Don't worry mom, I know it's not you" her mom just looked at her weird and kept grabbing mac and cheese off the shelf. Little did Nicky know that after she walked away the lady got up and walked to the other aisle to grab the bag of chips she was looking at. Nicky still thought that she was taken over by the aliens. They walked around the store looking for whatever was next on the list while her mom mumbles the items on the list checking off whatever she had in her cart.

They were in the bakery section getting donuts for breakfast the next morning when Nicky saw two little girls that looked exactly alike standing next to each other wearing the same clothes. Now I know what you are thinking "Oh my gosh, they're just twins" and your right but Nicky went to bed at midnight last night and woke up at seven so her mind was not working right and her first thought was that little girl has a clone! What? Now the aliens are making clones! She walked around picking out doughnuts with her mom but every once in a while she would glance over at the girls and they were there every time in the same spot.

Nicky had no explanation but she couldn't tell her mom because as far as she knew she was one of them. Nicky needed to find a cure to all of these people in the store. After seeing the two suspects she know the whole store was infected. She just needed to find the aliens in the store spreading the disease. She looked around and didn't stop until her eyes fell on one guy in the fruit section. Look at that guy! She thought He's got a big long trench coat covering his body and a hat and scarf coving his head. He is certainly hiding something. She wasn't thinking about the fact that is was the middle of winter and most people were wearing coats and scarfs. She was walking around the veggie aisle with her mom when it hit her. Aliens probably don't eat human food so human food is probably poisonous to them! Nicky had the best plan ever and she just had to wait for the right time to do it.

She was walking around the candy aisle when she saw her opportunity. She grabbed the cabbage out of the cart and chucked it across the aisle and it hit the trench coat guy square in the face. She continued to grab food out of the cart and throw it at the man. After that, there was a huge crowd around them and security came to check out what was going on. It was chaotic, everyone was shouting, Nicky's mom was trying to stop her but she kept getting pelted with carrots and eggs. Nicky couldn't be stopped until security came and dragged her out. Nicky's mom was quick behind her and they walked her out and banned her from the store forever. Once they got to the car and started driving Nicky's mom started shouting and complaining but Nicky couldn't hear her because there was a loud beeping noise.

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beeeeeeeeeeeep!

“What!” exclaimed Nicky Troy as she slammed her hand down on top of her alarm clock. Oh, it was all a dream she thought but it was still really chore day and her alarm was going off at 7:00 sharp. Today was no different, Nicky hobbled out of bed, put some clothes on and headed to the kitchen to see the chore chart. When she looked at the chart she was startled. She had to go shopping with her mom.


August 20, 2019 17:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.