0 comments

Coming of Age Drama Fiction

October 8th 2011.

I skip down the stairs, two at a time, tapping my fingers on the railing. "Carson, come into the Living room..." my mom says her face has a note of anxiety to it "Ok Mommy I'll be down in a sec," Mom hasn't had enough time for me lately and I was just happy she wanted to spend time with me. I run down the stairs and jump onto the couch giddy with excitement "What do you wanna talk to me about?" I say using my best cute voice, the look in my parent's eyes was not happy though, they were sad, somber eyes. "Honey... I... uh... We have been talking." "Fighting" my father coughs, my mom glares at him and grimaces "Talking and we have decided to get a divorce." Those words, though I didn't understand them yet would change my life, but for the better. But at the time I didn't understand "I will visit you on your fifth birthday and all the birthdays I can make it to." I start to choke up, as the words leave my mouth before I can think "I HATE YOU ANDREW!!" I stomp up to my room and throw myself onto the pillow.

Present Day.

"Carson! Get up its time for school!" My mom yells from downstairs, probably trying to get my younger siblings ready for school. I roll over and groan, "I don't wanna go back to school, or Math or Teresa Matthews bullying me." I slam the button on my alarm so hard I had to double-check that I didn't break it.

I throw on an old hoodie, and a ripped up pair of jeans that despite popular belief, I did not buy that way. I trudge downstairs yawning throwing on my headphones and grabbing a piece of toast before I head for the car.

*ding* A notification on my phone disrupts my favourite song, 'Andrew Maxwell Perry had friended you on Facebook' I click on the notification and I have a message "Wanna meet at Starbucks? I think we need to talk." which I responded with "I'm not allowed to talk to strangers." and just left it at that. "Whatcha lookin' at kiddo?" Mom asks, indicating my phone, "Oh, Nothing" I say unsure on whether I was lying or not. "Have a good day sweetpea," Mom says blowing me a kiss and driving off in her bus-sized minivan. I sigh and wave back, making sure nobody saw me. "CARSON!" a familiar voice yells, running toward me, "Hey Andrea," I respond pulling my phone out and sighing softly. "Who's Andrew?" my best friend, who I didn't realize was looking over my shoulder the entire time says, startling me, "My uhh... Well, he's not my Dad, I have a dad, the man who raised me he's my... well... sperm donor I guess."

"You gonna text him back, or meet up with him, or even acknowledge his existence?" she asks, sealing my phone from me, I grimace and shudder "I am NOT ready for that," I say stealing my phone back kinda meanly. "Well you gotta do something." "How about if you go I'll go with you?" she asks. I think about it for a bit "Sure, just give me a sec." I text my mom "Me and Andrea, were gonna go to Starbucks, is that okay?" I wait for an answer but one doesn't come till Lunch "Sure if it's ok with her mom." I take a deep breath and clutch Andrea's hand and say "We are going to meet Andrew, Maxwell, Perry today."

Later that day.

"Are you sure that's him?" she asks as we approach the Coffe Shop. I nod and squeeze her hand as we enter the store "Ok, I'm ready." I walk up to him and tap his Shoulder "Hi, I'm your..." he cuts me off "Your my son. Carson, by the way, I need something." my stomach does flips, what could he want from me? "W-what is it" he takes a deep breath "I need to borrow 50$" I look confused and my stomach flips more violently "Y-you need Money?" he nods "From Me?" he nods again and I would have punched him right then if he didn't look so desperate. "I don't have it on me, I'd have to go to the Bank." his head bobs violently "I know but uh... you could get me the money and then I would never ask again." my face twists "No." the corners of his mouth turn down and his forehead wrinkles "But Carson... your my Son you have to take care of your dad." right then... I LOST IT. "EVEN IF YOU WEREN'T GONNA USE THIS MONEY TO BUY CRACK OR SOME OTHER DRUG, WHICH I KNOW YOU ARE!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST WANTED TO SEE ME TO ASK FOR MONEY!! ALSO, I MAY BE YOUR SON... BUT YOU. WILL. NEVER. BE. MY. DAD!!!!!" Andrea tries to drag me out, but I yell one final thing "MY DAD IS THE MAN WHO WAS THERE FOR ME, AND HE ALWAYS WILL BE!" he stands in the store flabbergasted and everyone in the store stares on as we leave.

"I can't believe that just happened." I say falling into Andrea's arms "Why? Why am I so gullible?" I say snot dripping from my nose and tears staining my shirt and eyes "Why? why can't I just be normal." I say falling into her arms again not really being able to stand straight "The first time I saw him, and he just wants money." I say more disappointed in myself than him. He walks past us and Andrea glares at him while I just sit back, he tries to explain but Andrea sends him off before he can speak. "I would try to comfort you but you might wanna talk to your mom." Andrea says, I sniff and wipe my nose on my sleeve, Still shaking, I text my mom, "I need a ride."

THE END.

February 06, 2021 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.