A slightly chewed HB pencil, an exercise book cut into thirds and never-ending boredom does not a journal make.

Submitted into Contest #36 in response to: In the form of diary/ journal entries, write about someone who's just decided to take up journaling. ... view prompt

1 comment

General

April 6rd 2020.

Nothing to write. I am bored, this sucks, there is nothing to do and journals are lame.

 

April 6th 2020.

There is still nothing to write, we haven’t left our cells in three days. My TV is broken and I can’t watch Married at First Sight. Not that I like it, but it is better than nothing.

 

April 10th 2020.

My pencil broke and I had to wait a few days to get another one. We were let out for a few hours into the yard yesterday. I tried to do laps, walking around and around the fenced off area, but that was driving me crazy. Talked to Mum on the phone last night, only had half an hour, but all she did was sigh and complain. No one in my family is sick yet.

Got my TV working, but there just seems to be news on almost every channel. Nothing good to watch. Hope they will let me go to the Library tomorrow, I don’t have anything to read. So bored, I am writing in this stupid little exercise book that the teacher gave me. It was for the literacy class, not that I need it. I am smarter than everyone else in that class.

Might write a letter to my little brother over in Sydney, see how he is doing. I have his address but not his phone number. I should see if I can call my Mum again tonight, see if anything out there has changed.

 

April 13th 2020.

Still no visits. Some of the others in here are getting a bit angry. Phone calls are limited to one each, for only 15 minutes. Not that I have many people to call. There was a riot on the weekend, someone attacked an officer with a metal pole. He bled a lot, I heard he needed 12 stitches. The one who did it got sent down the back. They were dragged away, yelling and kicking in front of all of us on the oval. So rec time got cut again. I have to go back to pacing the fence line. Makes me feel a bit like a caged tiger I saw at the zoo a couple years ago. I couldn’t even go to work. Not that I wanted to. I hate workin in the laundry. Lawyer is coming at the end of the week.

 

April 15th 2020.

Got caught with a fit again. I lost my job in the laundry. The officer said he would be a bit more lenient this time, on account that they haven’t got a lot of space down the back. Lots of people on punishment right now because of the no visits. Not that it really affects me. The people I want to visit never do. I can listen to my Mum whinging on the phone just fine. Almost wish I could go back to work or back into the Education centre though. Give me something to do rather than just writing in this little book and playing cards. My cellie draws at least. They have something to do. I can’t draw for crap.

 

April 17th 2020.

Lawyer said the custody hearing didn’t go well. He came in wearing gloves and a face mask, like I was going to give him something. They almost wouldn’t let me see him, because someone got up on the roof yesterday.

 

April 18th 2020.

My cellie had a runny nose this morning. The SO of the unit, kept freaking out. He was yelling ‘They’ve got the virus, they’ve got the virus!” Wasn’t such great news for me. Obviously I can’t go far, I just sat on my bed and watched old episodes of Judge Judy while the medic came and went. They were wearing all kinds of masks and blue weird dress thingys and were wearing masks. They shoved this long probe thing up my cellie’s nose so far it hurt to watch. Now we are waiting for the test results. The ASOS came down, he’s this funny old guy who we never see unless someone is in trouble. But he was pretty calm. He said if the result was positive then we would both have to be put in a cell on our own somewhere else. But he didn’t think it would be positive. Almost wish I did have it. Maybe then I wouldn’t be so bored.

 

April 19th 2020.

No word on the test yet. The whole unit is locked in. Not even any rec time today. Still haven’t been able to get to the library. Wrote a short letter to my brother. Don’t think I will send it though. It’s pretty crap. Not even able to use the phone from in here. Much as my Mum pisses me off, I need to talk to her.

 

April 20th 2020

Test was negative. Still won’t let us out. Some other idiot got on the roof yesterday. Food is getting worse, pretty sure we have had curry three days in a row now. I hate curry. Started watching ABC kids. Wonder if Amy is watching it. Hope I can call Mum tonight.

 

April 21st 2020.

Realised today that I missed Easter. Not that there would have been much celebration in here. But feels weird that it passed and I didn’t even realise. Called my Mum last night. She saw Amy last weekend. Bought her a little chocolate rabbit and put my name on it. She said I should be grateful that she made the trip to see her. I was grateful. Usually her Dad’s new girlfriend wouldn’t have let her. They weren’t allowed to hug or anything, but they chatted and Amy is doing good. They are home-schooling right now, she is mostly just playing outside and colouring, but that’s OK. It was good to hear. SO said we might get to go out to the oval tomorrow. Maybe I can work on my tan.

April 22nd 2020.

Got a letter from my lawyer today. My Ex got full custody of Amy.

 

April 23rd 2020.

Locked in again. Someone else on the unit is being tested for the virus. Watching reruns of neighbours. One of the other ladies said she would teach me how to knit or crochet or something. Not doing anything else. May as well.

 

April 24th 2020.

It rained today. I stared out the window a lot. Thinking about Amy. There was these three crows who were fighting out there. These two big ones were ganging up on a littler one. My Cellie drew a picture of them. I am feeling pretty awful today. One of the others asked me for something today. Told them I had nothing. Must be getting pretty desperate if they are asking me. I never got many visits. The library sent some books out to us. I wasn’t fast enough, I still have nothing to read. Gave up on the crochet. It was boring.

 

April 25th 2020.

My Cellie is leaving today, she has been well behaved so she is allowed to go closer to home. She thinks she will see her kids when she goes back up north. I hope she does. She was OK I guess.

I will be on my own now, just for a few weeks, till someone new comes in. Heard a rumour that there might be a job going in the gardens. Not really my thing, but better than nothing. I have put in about three white forms already to get that job, but I don’t know if I will be lucky. The officers all have their favourites.

Don’t have any cash left to call my Mum. Need to get a job so I can get a can of coke.

 

April 26th 2020.

Heard a rumour from one of the peer support girls that the Education centre might open back up tomorrow. I can maybe go back and finish my class. Do some real stuff, like get some books to read and write essays.

Not stuff like this diary. I don’t like this diary, it has been a massive waste of time. It isn’t fun to read, it isn’t interesting and my teacher will think it is crap.

Didn’t get the job in the gardens.

 

 

 

April 06, 2020 05:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Brandy Orrell
20:00 Apr 12, 2020

This is an interesting little bit. I think you could definitely expand it and go further: Why is she there? How long is she going to be there? I enjoyed reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.