Don't Settle!

Written in response to: Format your story in the style of diary entries.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction

DON’T SETTLE!

Case Number: 202200019

Client: Acme Insurance International

Day 1, February 26, 2022, 9:23 a.m.

Gerald Springer, 34, claimed multiple injuries after allegedly slipping on the ice in front of 15 Woodsworth Avenue, home of Antoine Bellhouse, 66 and Carol Bellhouse, 66, on February 22, 2022. The Bellhouse home is equipped with a CCTV camera that recorded Springer walking by their property eastbound at 4:34 pm, and returning at 7:10 pm, but did not capture Springer’s alleged slip-and-fall.  

On February 25, 2022, Springer’s lawyer, Adolph Duneden, contacted the Bellhouses at their home, and informed them that Springer had been injured in a fall, and would be seeking compensation for pain and suffering. Dunedin presented the Bellhouses with medical records outlining Springer’s injuries — bruised coccyx resulting in the inability to sit; sprained back resulting in the inability to walk unaided, or to lift anything over one pound; a concussion resulting in extreme vertigo and nausea resulting in a severe limitation of movement, and the need to wear a cervical collar; and a fractured right elbow resulting in a full arm cast, restricting the use of his dominant hand and arm. The homeowners contacted their homeowner’s insurance — Acme Insurance International, who in turn hired me.

Day 2, February 27, 7:26 p.m.

I commenced my search on social media. Springer is an avid and enthusiastic user of social media.

Facebook:

1. Springer has been on Facebook since 2008. And he loves his photos (900+). 

2. Springer loves selfies. Most photos are taken by him of him. Many are of him shirtless.

3. Springer takes many pictures of women’s breasts, cutting the photo off at the neck, so there are no faces. He also takes photos of women from behind, focussing on their bottoms.

4. Springer is a creeper.

5. Springer is also a voyeur. There are a number of photos of women that seem to have been taken surreptitiously — at the beach, at restaurants, in their homes. Their faces have been blurred.

Other Facebook facts:

1. Springer rides a motorcycle (forty-two photos).

2. Springer has 243 friends.

3. Springer has a Siamese cat named Mr. Whiskers.

4. Springer’s current status is “it’s complicated.” Unless he and his cat have broken up, I am confused as to his current relationship status, as there have been few photos of women who seem to be willingly photographed with Mr. Springer, other than an older woman, whom I assume is his mother.

Instagram:

1. Springer has been on Instagram since 2010. 

2. Springer regularly posts the same photos on Instagram as he posts on Facebook, so I have now seen (too) many photos of Springer shirtless.

3. Springer has many videos that show him “exploring” public property. From the videos: “Cool! Look at the heave in that sidewalk. A person could get hurt tripping over that.” And, “Man, that pool deck looks awfully slippery. I hope no one slips and falls on it.” Mr. Springer is heard chortling in the background of both videos. 

4. Springer posts many photos and videos of his cat, Mr. Whiskers.

Twitter:

1. Springer has had a Twitter account since 2009.

2. Springer follows right-leaning politicos, Fox News, Tucker Carlson, the Dalai Lama (?), and seven personal injury lawyers.

3. Springer regularly posts about what a bloodsucker his ex-wife is.  

4. Springer’s ex-wife has blocked him.

Tik Tok

1. Springer has been a member since its inception in 2016.

2. Springer does not seem to understand the concept of Tik Tok.

3. I will never be able to un-see Springer’s videos.

A complete list of all URLs of all of Springer’s social media sites is attached as Appendix A.

Day 3, February 28, 5:30 p,m.

Personal: Springer resides at 131 Wide Oak Way, a middle-class neighbourhood. The house belongs to his mother, Rhonda Springer, 61, who also resides there. I could find no properties in Springer’s name, although Rhonda Springer owns a property in Naples, Florida.

Family Life: Springer and his now ex-wife Marnie Speller lived in the house with Rhonda Springer for the entirety of their one year marriage, ending in June 2021. While married, Speller regularly complained to neighbours about Springer’s love of video games, strip joints, and his mother.  

Employment: Springer is currently on disability from his job at Box Warehouse, where he was employed to load and unload tractor trailers. Apparently, two years prior, an empty pallet fell off of a truck, and hit Springer on the head. Although it occurred during the regular shift, and there were people all around, no one saw the pallet fall and strike Springer. Inexplicably, the CCTV camera closest to the loading dock was repositioned, focussed on the ceiling instead of the loading area. Earlier in the day, Springer is seen on video carrying an empty pallet, but because the repositioning of the camera there is no way to determine where he and the pallet ended up.

Springer’s injury claim maintains that he still suffers from extreme concussion symptoms and is unable to work.

Public Record: Springer’s divorce from Marnie Springer, nee Speller, was finalized in June 2021. The decree cites irreconcilable differences as per Ms. Speller. Court documents stated that Springer filed to sue Marnie Speller for spousal support, but the claim was withdrawn before being heard by the court.

I searched the archives for cases in which Springer was listed as either the complainant or defendant. Springer is listed a total of eleven times as the complainant, and seven times as the defendant, dating from 2007, when he was injured in a rear-end collision where his mother was driving.

As the complainant, Springer has sued for injuries suffered in seven slip-and-fall cases, three car accidents, and one vicious dog complaint. As a defendant, he has been counter-sued in four slip-and-fall accidents, and one viscous dog claim.

Co-complainant in all of the automobile accidents was Rhonda Springer. Also of note, Springer’s lawyer in all cases has been Adolph Duneden. Further investigation uncovered the fact that Duneden is Springer’s cousin on his mother’s side.

Interviews: I interviewed three of Springer’s immediate neighbours. I have transcribed the relevant parts of the interviews below.  

Alfred Douglas (AD), 54, neighbour:  

AD: There’s something the matter with that guy. He’s what, in his thirties, and he still lives with his mommy? That ain’t right. When he got married, he brought his wife, Marnie, to live here. Poor Marnie.

The Springers have lived there for about twenty years. The old couple who used to live there, Larry and Wanda Deacon, hired Rhonda — the mother — to be Wanda’s caregiver. Alzheimer’s you know. Then, not five months later, old Larry Deacon up and dies. Apparently he had some kinda freak accident — his car ran him over in his own driveway. After that, Rhonda stayed on as Wanda’s caregiver. Their two kids, Emmy and Jacques, thought maybe their mom should go into assisted living, but Rhonda convinced them that she could do a better job — Wanda knew her, and was used to their routine. The kids agreed. Worst decision of their lives.

So she moved in with her son, Gerald. About six months later, Wanda dies. Turns out that Wanda had visited a lawyer, and left everything to Rhonda — the house, the car, the bank accounts. Emmy and Jacques were furious! They hired a lawyer and challenged the will. But, the lawyer who made the new will … What was his name … same as some place in Florida … Duneden! That’s right — Duneden! Anyway, their shyster lawyer swore out an affidavit in court that Wanda was compos mentis — you know, in her right mind. Never mind that Wanda had Alzheimer’s and I’d taken her back home three times when she was wandering around in her nightgown in the middle of the day. But because Rhonda never took her to doctor’s appointments, there was no medical documentation about how far the disease had progressed. Gerald was disposed, and he backed up everything his mother said. So the poor Deacon kids got nothing.

Gerald’s a scammer — but he learned it from his mom. She stole that house from those kids. Gerald’s always been a mommy’s boy. That guy doesn’t take a sh—… doesn’t do anything without running it by Rhonda first. Mommy issues!

Maggie Forster (MF), 37, neighbour:

MF: Gerald is such a dick. He’s always taking my picture. I told him to stop, or I would destroy his stupid phone. He told me that I better not, or he’d sue me. This a-hole’s taking pictures of my boobs and my ass, and he’s going to sue me? The balls!

One night I caught him taking pics outside my bedroom window. I marched out, and confronted him, and he just laughed, and pointed to the sidewalk. He said that he was on public property, and maybe I should consider closing my drapes. What a d-bag. I can’t believe he was ever married.

Genevieve Defour, (GD), 42, neighbour:  

GD: I’m not sure that I can talk about anything with you. He and I are currently in litigation. He’s suing me for injuries and loss of wages. He says my dog bit himI’m counter-suing.

(Note: Ms. Defour is holding the dog in question, a miniature poodle name Tank.)

Tank didn’t bite anyone. For one thing, he literally has no teeth. Last April he had over half of his teeth removed due to decay. He has eighteen teeth left, and those are all in the back. Anyway, Tank got away, and ran across their lawn. Gerald said Tank ran up to him, and bit him on the leg. Impossible, because (a) Tank’s mouth isn’t large enough to wrap around Gerald’s extra-meaty leg; (b) Tank would have had to either sprout wings, or use a ladder because he’s twelve inches tall and the bite was on Gerald’s thigh, and (c) Tank doesn’t have any teeth! [Audible sigh.] His stupid lawyer showed me pictures of the bite wound on Gerald’s leg, and said that it was infected, and Gerald wasn’t able to work because of it. Like he was working before. I got my own lawyer, and I’m countersuing that deadbeat for libel and slander. I’m pretty sure we have a case.

A complete transcript of all interviews is attached as Appendix B.

Day 4: March 1, 2022, 4:34 p.m.

Today was spent interviewing Marnie Speller (MS), 28, formerly Marnie Springer, ex-wife of Gerald Springer:

MS: Biggest mistake of my life. What a complete and total asshole. And his mother! Don’t even get me started on that witch! They’re scammers, grifters, con artists. I don’t know how I didn’t see it. God! Do you know they wanted me to stage a car accident? Something about disconnecting the brake lights, and letting some poor schmuck run into the back of the car. Said I could sue and get a bunch of money. Then they wanted me to do a “slip-and-fall” at work. They said that I would get a huge settlement, and I wouldn’t have to work. God! I am so stupid!

Gerald is a lazy piece of shit. He’d get a job, get "hurt," get money, not work until all the money was gone. Repeat. Jerk! At one point, he had three companies making disability payments at the same time. Do these companies not talk to each other? And before you, no one ever came around asking any questions. I could have saved them a shitload of money, if they’d only asked. Do you know that he has a motorcycle? He rides it all the time. Yeah! And he’s supposed to be so sick and injured. Bullshit!

And that house they live in? Gerald was so proud of the fact that they didn’t even pay for it, that they swindled some family out it. Some scam involving Rhonda as a caregiver. A caregiver, my ass! She doesn’t give a shit about anything other than herself, money, and Gerald — in that order. 

Did you know he tried to sue me for spousal support? Asshole. I told that stupid lawyer of his that if he tried to get one cent out of me, I’d rat him out to all the companies he’d scammed, and they’d both go to jail. That stopped him PDQ. I have a ton of pics of showing Gerald not injured. And I’ve got copies of all the paperwork for all the scams Gerald and Rhonda pulled. That’s my leave-me-the-hell-alone insurance policy. You can have a copy, if you want.

A complete transcript of this interview is attached as Appendix C.

Day 5: March 2, 2022, 11:35 p.m.

Today was spent surveilling Gerald Springer.

6:46 a.m.: As I was unsure of Springer’s daily schedule, I arrived early, parking in the driveway of neighbour Maggie Forster’s home, observed from her home. During our interview she said that if I needed to watch Gerald and Rhonda I could use her home. She said she’d love to see how Gerald likes someone taking pictures of him without his permission. Her direct quote was: “Karma’s a bitch.”

11:51 a.m.: After five hours, Springer was (finally) seen walking in the house. Ms. Forster informed me that she rarely sees any movement across the street before noon. 

12:26 p.m.: Springer, still in his housecoat, walked to the end of the driveway and retrieved a newspaper from his neighbour, Mr. Douglas’s mailbox. Note: there is no full arm cast, nor cervical collar, nor cane visible (photo 001). Springer was walking with no obvious signs of pain (video 001, video 002).

1:43 p.m.: Springer exited his home, and entered the garage, bending and opening the roller door without any signs of discomfort (photo 002). At this point I returned to my car, in anticipation of Springer driving away. Springer entered, rolled out his motorcycle onto the driveway. DMV records indicate that it is a 2021 Harley Davidson Low Rider S, gross weight 650 pounds (photo 003, video 003). Springer mounted the motorcycle, and rode away (video 004, video 005, photo 004, photo 005). The temperature at this time is sixteen degrees celcius, sixty-one degrees fahrenheit, suitable motorcycle weather.  

1:58 p.m.: I followed Springer to his lawyer, Adolph Duneden’s office, located in a strip mall at 5324 Industrial Drive. Before entering the office, Springer removed a cervical collar, full arm cast, and retractable cane from his saddle bags, and put them on (photo 006 through 010, video 006). Shortly after Springer entered the building, Antoine and Carol Bellhouse arrived and entered Duneden’s office.

2:36 p.m.: Following Antoine and Carol Bellhouse’s exit, Springer exited Duneden’s office, carrying said collar, cast, and cane, stowed them in the saddlebag, hopped on his motorcycle and headed east.

2:43 p.m.: Springer arrived at Bump ’N Grind Gentlemen’s Club at 833 Fawn Road (photo 011). I followed him in. The bouncer inquired whether I was looking for a job. I explained that wished to speak with the manager and was directed to the office. 

After explaining I was investigating Springer, the manager, Glory Days, (GD), agreed to speak with me.  

GD: Yeah, we know Springer here. He is not a favourite. He’s all handsy, always pawing the girls. And no lap dances for him, because he becomes … over-enthusiastic, and sometimes demands his money back when he doesn’t get his happy ending. He’s been removed from the premises numerous times for inappropriate behaviour. He has, on more than one occasion, tired to shake me down. You know — there was glass in my beer, I’m going to sue. I slipped in the bathroom, I’m going to sue. I got beaten up in the parking lot, I’m going to sue. All frivolous, except for the last one. Candi Kane, a dancer, did beat him up after he tried to steal her tips. The shakedowns eventually stopped after Derk Strongman, our bouncer, had a conversation with Springer. Now if we can only persuade him to keep his hands to himself … 

No photos or videos available inside the club, as Ms. Days informed me that recording devices are not permitted on the floor. A complete transcript of this interview is attached as Appendix D.

7:45 p.m.: Springer returned home, were he was met in the driveway by his mother. Springer got into a 1995 Volvo 240 station wagon driver’s side door, drove south. I followed.

7:54 p.m.: Without warning, on a lightly trafficked street, Springer slammed on the brakes, coming to a sudden stop in the middle of the road. There were no brake lights. I was able to avoid the collision. When I left my car to confront Springer, he sped away. The entire incident was recorded on my dash cam (video dc001).

8:10 p.m.: Having lost track of Springer’s vehicle, I returned to 131 Wide Oak Way to await the return of the Springers.

10:07 pm: The Volvo carrying the Springers returned, followed closely by Adolph Duneden in another vehicle, who was carrying a bottle of sparkling wine. The trio entered the residence.  

10:53 p.m.: Duneden left the residence, and drove away. I continued to watch the house until the lights went out at 11:00. The only light visible was the blue screen light of a computer screen in one of the back bedrooms.

Day 6: March 3, 2022, 8:53 am

Final report:

Do not settle with Gerald Springer.  

1. Having reviewed the Bellhouse’s doorbell camera video, and those of the surrounding neighbours, they showed the entirety of the Bellhouse’s sidewalk, at the alleged times. There was no record of Springer having slipped and fallen.  

2. Springer shows no sign of any type of physical impairment (see videos 001 through 006, photos 001 through 011).

3. Springer is a grifter. I have compiled enough evidence of prior bad deeds for criminal charges to be laid.  

April 01, 2022 22:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Annette Lovewind
23:38 Apr 02, 2022

You know this was highly entertaining to read. Nice work!

Reply

Tricia Shulist
03:17 Apr 03, 2022

Thanks! It was fun to write — I liked the change in format. Thank you for your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.