Loner Group

Written in response to: Write about somebody who likes to work in silence.... view prompt

2 comments

Coming of Age High School Teens & Young Adult

I was always know as the quiet girl, I sat alone near a tree in the corner of the school field reading about fairies with magical powers and giants as tall as mountains, those books always took me to another world- a world away from the one I'm in now, but of course being the quiet girl attracted bullies, kids would often call me names because of how nappy my hair would look, and how skinny I was, I even had my own nickname "scrawny queen"- I hated that name, it followed me all the way to highschool, which lead to more bullies, until fall came and my parents decided to leave california and move to ohio to be closer to family.

When I moved to my new school, nobody knew me but I could tell they already decided not to like me but I was okay with that I'd prefer to be alone anyway, as long as I didn't have to deal with the curel name calling and the constant bullying that would tournament me everyday. I usually spent all my time in the library, it was quiet and nobody really spent time in there, I practically lived in the library, reading books about haunted towns and creepy urban legends, these stories always a shiver down my spine and made me question if the paranormal really exists. If I wasn't reading I spent my time doing homework and studying for upcoming test, what I don't like are the group projects, nobody likes working with me, I'm always left standing in the middle of the room not bothering to partner with someone, usually I convince the teachers to allow me to complete the project on my own no matter how big it is. I've always prefer being alone- not having to worry about how many friends I have or how many people like me, It allows me to be with my own thoughts, I personally feel like i'm happier when I'm alone and I know many people will find it strange but I enjoy it, being alone gives me a chance to be a with myself without the influence of others trying to change who I am.


Even though I didn't have many friends, it never stopped me from going out, Sometimes when I was free from the stress of homework and studying, I'd rest my mind and go to a little cafe that wasn't far from my house, each time I walked inside the air was full sweet treats fresh from the oven and brewing coffee, I always sat near a window in the corner where the sun view always took my breath away as I sipped on my hazelnut roasted coffee and warm cinnamon bun that melted in my mouth with each bite.


Once I finished high school I was offered a scholarship to a great college that was located in Kentucky, I gladly took it and in a month I was officially a college student, Since I was on a scholarship I had to maintain my grades which wasn't a problem for me, though the work got harder I still managed to stay on track and get all my work done on time. I never took interest in the parties that happened every friday night, instead I stay up trying to build my own business that I know would be a success one day, I worked alone on it, I didn't ask for help or advice, I allowed my mind to come up with all the ideas and I would just write it out on paper. I managed to get a part-time job at a local restaurant that paid me $15/hr and since I didn't need to worry about my dorm rent all my money went towards my growing business.


When I graduated with a degree in business I decided to move back to ohio to put my plan into action, with the money I had earned I began to look for vacant shops nearby that I could buy and after two weeks of stressful looking I had finally found one, its was a recently closed down boutique shop that they were selling for a reasonable, I quickly called the number and offered to buy it , and after weeks I officially owned the place.


"Water Hero" was a business that focused on the water situations that were happening around the world and for the first few months I worked on my own even though my parents offered to help I was determined to build this on my own, I wanted to show the world that it was possible to build a business without help from anyone and that It was possible to do great things while working in silence. As I continued to grow promote water hero, more and more people started to become interested and at some point I realized that I needed help, so I started to recruit a handful of people to lighten up my load and though the lighten load helped me to not stress as much I still prefer to work alone, I spoke to my colleagues when needed and then drifted off to my own space of work.


3 years passed and water hero grew to become a huge success, I had multiple business opening all around the world to spread the awareness of droughts that are caused by the water we waste everyday, and as I sit at this table with you all I hoped that telling my story showed you that sometimes it's okay to be part of the loner group because you'll be surprised of how much you can accomplish when your not always overwhelmed with other trying to change your idea and i'm not saying the teamwork is a lost cause and that it isn't needed because even I, the girl who grew up alone couldn't make it to where I am without help but don't get the wrong idea, I don't want your partnering deals because I still prefer to work on my own.

April 21, 2022 01:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

05:48 Apr 21, 2022

Hello Sumii, I think the admirable character in your story shows that still waters run true and deep. I like how you walk the reader through the journey and then bring the reader right into the story space by sitting them at the table with the character.

Reply

Sumii Spooky
15:34 Apr 21, 2022

Hello L<3 Thank You! I honestly felt like I wasn't making sense, but this comment really makes me feel better<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.