5 comments

Contemporary Fiction

It was a crisp autumn day in New York City, and I’d just arrived at Penn Station after a long train ride from upstate Whitehall. I’d been eagerly anticipating this trip to the city for weeks. For I was meeting up with my best friend, Rachel Wallace, who’d left Whitehall some years ago. We hadn't seen each other in a year or so, but we kept in touch by the usual social media sites and text messages. Rachel promised to take me to some of her favorite spots in the city and show me a good time.


As I made my way out of the station, I scanned the bustling crowd for any sign of Rachel. I was beginning to feel a bit anxious when I heard someone call my name.


"Teryl! Over here!" Off to my left, Rachel waved to me, grinning from ear to ear.


Dashing over to her, I grabbed her in a happy hug. In a few minutes, the pair was laughing and chatting as if no time had passed at all.


“You’re going to love it here!” Rachel told her. “Come on, we’ve got to have brunch at this neat little cafe in SoHo.” Over avocado toast and lattes, we swapped stories of life and loves since we’d last seen each other.


“So, you and Todd broke up last year in May?” Rachel scrunched her face in thought. “Huh, that was right around the time I ran from Craig. God, how I thought he was The One, eludes me! I would’ve been better off if I’d stayed with Henry!”


“I hear you. Yeah, Todd . . . he . . . found someone else who apparently suited him better.”


“Ah! The jerk! He couldn’t have found anyone better than you! And I’d tell him so, if ever I were to see him!”


“Well, since you’re here and he’s back in Whitehall, I doubt your paths will cross anytime soon.”


“Good thing for him! What do you want to do next? Museums? A play somewhere? A stroll in Central Park? Or maybe we could see if we could locate the Cash Cab, and have some fun with that!”


I laughed. “That would be fun, but what are the chances we’d be the lucky ones to find it—and win anything if we did?”


“Eh, it’d be fun either way! Come on, let’s just roam the streets for a while. Hey, you want to catch a carriage ride in Central Park? Yeah? I’ll make the appointment!”


She booked us the VIP tour, and we scrambled to find a cab to 7th and 59th Streets. There, we made our way to our carriage. Our horse was a lovely Percheron mare named Stormy, and as she stepped out lively into the Park, we settled in for a relaxing tour that included such sights as the carousel, Plaza Hotel, the Upper East Side, Balto’s statue and a host of other sites of interest.


Passing another carriage going the opposite direction, the male occupant snapped his head around in our direction. I gasped.


“Oh, lord! Really?”


“What? What?” Rachel craned her neck to see what I was seeing.


“I think I just saw Todd in that carriage we just passed. I—he was with someone . . . I don’t think was his wife!”


“Scum! You’re lucky to be rid of him!”


I let go a small sigh. I was lucky for that. But . . . I did miss him . . . it’d been wonderful for as long as it lasted. And it had lasted almost to our wedding date. Yeah, the week before we were to be married, he sent me a text saying it was off. No explanation, no I’m sorry, no nothing. Just, it’s off.


After the carriage ride, we caught a cab to the Smithsonian. And wouldn’t you know it, as we pulled into traffic behind another cab, the zany lights of the Cash Cab lit up in it.


“Awww! That could’ve been us!” We cried together. Our cab driver just shook his head and smiled.


I’m not sure what we looked at the Smithsonian. My thoughts kept wandering back to Todd. Odd he’d chosen today to be in NYC . . . of course he might have been here for days, and why would I know that? Who was the woman he was with? Had he and whatshername split? Or was he enjoying a pleasant interlude while she was at home. Or maybe enjoying a pleasant interlude of her own.


We went shopping after the museum. Found yet another cab to take us to Rachel’s place where we dumped our bags and boxes, and headed out to a rooftop bar overlooking the city. We sipped cocktails, watched the sunset. How thrilling it was to see the skyline illuminated so beautifully! Nothing like this would I see in lowly Whitehall!


But, yet, it did have its good points. The Champlain canal wandered through it. And the park there, though small, was still a pleasant place to stroll and watch the various vessels sail the canal. The Railyard was a decent place to eat as was the Historic Grounds. Not to mention Skene Manor . . . but when they put in the Broadway, which bypassed Main Street, the little town pretty much died . . . Wasn’t a lot to write home about, that was for sure.


Here, there probably were books to be written about what was here. Well, books had been written, but more still could be! I toyed with the idea of staying long enough to se whether I could fit into a big city life. At least for awhile. I worked from home, so money matters weren't an issue.


"Hey, you wanna take in a show? Not a big Broadway thing, not tonight, anyway. I know a little theater that puts on a great show. They're doing Beauty and the Beast right now. What d'ya think?"


"Sure. I'm up for that." Why not? I could take in the play with half my attention while I continued my speculations of why Todd was in the city now.


We walked the few blocks from her building to a small hole in the wall theater. A nondescript building with a an ornate green door. A small wood burnt sign that read, "Maggie's Little Theater" nailed to it. Have to say, I felt some skepticism concerning the sort of talent I'd be treated to this night!


So we took our seats in the dimly lit auditorium and waited for the show to start. As the lights came up, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning my head, my lips parted in stunned surprise.


Todd.


"Teryl," he said, his voice low and hesitant. "I've been waiting for you."


I hadn't a clue what to say. For about two seconds. Then, "What do you mean, you've been waiting for me? What crap is this? You walked out on me last May, with nothing said but that terse text! What the hey! But you've been waiting for me?"


"Shhhh!" came from the lips of several of our neighbors. All looking annoyed that they'd have to shush someone in such a place.


"Teryl--"


"Shhhhh!" I hissed and turned away.


The absolute nerve of the guy! He'd been waiting for me!


What crap! How could he have been? Did he have some kind of psychic ability that he'd known I'd be in New York today? Well, now, all I wanted to do was lose myself in this play. Pretend Todd Bradford did not exist. In my time or any other!


Rachel cast a look at me and then a black one over at Todd. She acted like she wanted to say something, but in the end didn't. Just adjusted her position in her seat and faced front.


The talent of the performers of this piece was amazing. Rachel hadn't led me astray on that! It may have been a dinky neighborhood setup, but these people, young and older, could've graced a Broadway stage with the best of the best. And I said so afterwards when we had the chance to meet some of them. Once the curtain came down, the cast fought their way through the folds to come meet their audience.


All too soon, it was over. And there was Todd, waiting for us by that big green door.


"Teryl, please . . . I just want to say I'm sorry."


"You're sorry," I snorted. "Okay, you said it. Bye now!"


"Look, I didn't want to end it. It's just that I lost a lot of money on . . . on a business deal, and they were looking for my life! Jenny's brothers said they'd get me out of trouble if I married her."


I looked at him as if he'd grown ears where his nose was. "Sure. I understand perfectly."


"Yeah, me too," said Rachel with feigned graciousness. Her tone changed and she ordered, "Now move! We're leaving! Go back to your precious Jenny--or whoever that was you were with earlier!"


"Jenny's gone. I'm free now, and that was just someone I met here."


"So, go be with her. Have a great life, now!"


No, wait! I'm going back to Whitehall in the morning. I thought we could meet for coffee . . ."


"No, I don't think so."


He looked disappointed, but he persisted. "Well, maybe we can get together when you get back to Whitehall. I'll be waiting for you, Teryl." And with that, he went out the door.


In that moment, I made up my mind. Turning to fully face Rachel, I asked, "So, how would you like a roommate? Permanently?"






March 25, 2023 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Mary Bendickson
16:50 Mar 31, 2023

Nit-picking. Maybe second paragraph caught switch back and forth from 'me' to 'her'? Otherwise nice story to the prompt and I did get she didn't want to be anywhere near Todd at end. Thank you for commenting on Timmy's piece. It does make me want to cry sometimes, too. Those were rough times coming to the sad realization of his hopeless condition. But he has been a blessing to us. Enjoyed our visit with him yesterday. God works in mysterious ways. P.S. My youngest grandson is also disabled but not nearly to Timmy's extent. He is walking ...

Reply

Anita M Shaw
18:40 Mar 31, 2023

Yes, I changed my mind on the POV about midway, and thought I'd gotten them all changed. But then, I found that one, but edits were closed by that time. :( Thanks for reading my little story! I can't even imagine the things you went through. I have a mildly disabled son who is 36 now. I knew there was something going on when he wasn't walking at two, and then not talking at three. Not much at any rate. I suspected cerebral palsy, but the doctors I took him to all said I was seeing things that weren't there. Finally, one of them referred me...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:17 Mar 31, 2023

So true!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
21:06 Mar 27, 2023

Yup, YA for sure. Well written and held my interest! I love the (for me anyway, by my read) surprise ending; the MC wanting to stay in NY because, I assume, she wants to get back with Todd. So now, Anita, you have put me in the unmerciful position of wondering if the MC gets back with Todd. Thanks a lot!

Reply

Anita M Shaw
15:51 Mar 28, 2023

Well, no, Jack . . . not at this point. She stays in NY with her friend, while Todd goes back upstate. She needs to process the reason he left her to marry the other girl. She ain't happy about that! Thank you so much for your kind words! It made my day for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.