4 comments

Thriller Science Fiction

The weather forecast is calling for another strange day, in the weather world who would complain, it is a warm spring-like day, in the middle of winter. Sandra George is a little down about the warm forecast, she was planning on going skiing later in the day. She cannot believe the difference from the morning to the afternoon. One minute it is bone-chilling cold and snowing and the next the sun is shining and the snow disappears just as fast as it fell!

Sandra’s husband arrives home, entering the house, carrying his winter coat, “It is sweltering out there Sandra, this weather is getting stranger by the minute!” She puts down her cup of tea and points to the TV the weather is the news headline these days. The news channel is giving another weather advisory with precautions but no curfew imposed this time. “Thank god, there is no curfew this time it was so terrifying last time since we don’t have the recommended, I-ONE-20 yet!!” Sandra says with a great sense of relief but also a cautiousness. “Don’t worry honey I checked the website and the tracking number we are next in the Que, so it should be activated any day now,” Frank tells his wife this with as much belief as he can muster…but he knows the reality of the situation and it is not good.

“Yes, yes, of course, we did put our ticket in the system, as soon as it was announced so we should be alright.” as the words come out of her mouth, she knows it makes things better sometimes; to lie to yourself.  They hug each other for a minute then go into the kitchen to start to make supper. “Derick wash up for supper it won’t be long, we are having pizza!” Sandra yells up to her 15-year-old son, who is forbidden from going out anywhere, prior to checking the weather updates and warnings first. “Ok, Mom I will be down in a few minutes,” he finishes sending a text message to his best friend Hank, puts his phone away and comes downstairs. There are no phones at the dinner table even in this hectic time to try and keep some sense of normalcy. 

They all sit down to dinner, pizza and a green salad with apple pie for dessert. The TV is left on with the sound turned down in the background. They need to stick close to any kind of Radio or TV due to the internet not being reliable anymore since the latest solar storm. “I was talking with Hank and we were planning on hanging out, for about an hour or two, can I go?” Sandra looks nervously at Frank for the appropriate response and hoping he says “No.” “You know how your mother and I feel about you going out now…I think you should wait to see Hank until we get the new system here and set up to properly, to manage the Climate Change Storms!” as Frank says this he turns up the television for the latest update and it is a Red Alert the first one, all of the other alerts have been Yellow or Orange. “But Dad I have my suit they say that is adequate protection even for a Red Alert!” Derick eagerly says this to his father hoping it will change his mind.

“No son I don’t feel good about this Alert it has never gone to Red before, so no” Derick is not happy about his father’s decision and charges up to his bedroom and slams the door. “It is for his own good, I wish he could see that we don’t what could happen; even if he went out even with a suit!?!” Frank puts his hand shakily through his short wavy hair anticipating the worst. Sandra takes his hand and leads him to the living room and they both sit down on the couch turning on the television to keep updated and wait it out. The phone rings it is the company they have just initiated the I-ONE-20 system. Their neighbourhood was next on the list, so their home and property are now protected, from whatever Climate Change Storm, that may come up. Before the representative hangs up the call he tells them not to venture outside until clearance is given, the suits may not hold up under this latest storm. 

Frank and Sandra thank the representative. As they hang up a warning comes across the screen that the suits are not to be worn outside they will not protect you from the heat. “I am so relieved that you told Derick he could not go out he needs to take this situation seriously!” as she says this she goes upstairs to tell Derick about the latest update but she thinks he probably knows already especially since he talks nonstop to Hank. “Derick can I come in?” she knocks on his door and waits for a response, there is no answer, so she opens the door and goes into the room. She looks around and sees that his bedroom window is open and there is a note left on his pillow. Sandra opens the note and starts to read it:

“Mom and Dad I decided to go out for about half an hour to hang out with hank. I know the Red Alert is still on but I am wearing the suit and so is Hank. See you in a little while, Love you, Derick.”

As Sandra realizes her son and his best friend are out there in this Climate Change Storm under a Red Alert she falls to her knees and screams. “Frank drops his cup of tea hearing his wife’s screams and hearing the latest weather alert update:

“It has come to our attention that many residents of Paris Town decided to venture out today either prior to the Red Alert or after…and did not survive the devastating heat surges and fire rain…the suits were of no protection to those who chose to wear them!” 

Frank starts to tell himself that Derick is safe and sound, at his friend’s house and even though he went out he wouldn’t be that careless to not go directly to Hank’s house…would he?? As Frank continues to play this scenario over and over in his head, he also says it to his wife to calm her down. Suddenly a new update flashes across the television screen:

“We have a follow up to our previous story the first casualties of the fire rainstorm appears to be two young adults we will now give out the names of the dead. As you know we give out this information in this manner whenever the phone lines land or cell are not working…Our heartfelt condolences go out to the families affected:

“The first is Derick George and the second is Hank Rose. They were both identified by the codes located on their fire protection suits.”

September 20, 2020 17:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

C Britt
01:05 Oct 01, 2020

Very creative concept for a story! I have a couple suggestions: 1 - When multiple people are talking, start a new paragraph whenever the speaker changes. It can be more difficult for the reader to follow who is speaking if it's all bunched up together in a single paragraph. 2 - Sometimes, you have a some unnecessary words. For example, "Derick is not happy about his father’s decision and charges up to his bedroom and slams the door." It isn't really necessary to say "Derick is not happy." That part is obvious from the charging away an...

Reply

01:46 Oct 01, 2020

Thank you, for the feedback C Britt! I appreciate your observations they make perfect sense. I see what you mean, now that it is pointed out. Thank you. : )

Reply

C Britt
01:51 Oct 01, 2020

No problem. Good luck on your future stories!

Reply

13:36 Oct 01, 2020

You as well! : )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.