A Flower For Forgiveness

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

38 comments

Drama Fiction Inspirational

It is such a sunny day outside. I feel the warmth of the sun. The sutal, spring breeze uplifts me. Now, my petals can sway back and forth to wave at my friend. My friend just woke up. Her name is Dawn. She looks tired as if she didn't sleep very well last night. I always assume it is because Dawn is an entrepreneur. She is a poet, a youth author, and an aspiring actress. Dawn loves bringing hope to people. She always makes me smile by welcoming me into her day.




Before Dawn would start her day, she used to say, "Good morning, Daisy!" She then went to the window, where I stood in my flower pot, to sniff me for five seconds. This is how she would hug me and I believed she loved me. I love Dawn. She inspires me to be the best flower I can be. I intend to be that every day I am alive. Yes, my name is Daisy. By now, I think you can tell I'm a flower. 




My job is to bring smiles to people, especially when they are sad. It is definitely not an easy job, but I never have to worry about being fired like humans do. See, us flowers, don't worry so much. Even when Dawn gets too busy that she forgets to water me, I remember I am by the kitchen window. I just move and twist my stem until my pot makes its way to the kitchen sink, so I can turn the faucet on and pour water on me.




When Dawn is away at a meeting or an event, I like to watch the Discovery Channel on television. I can see other plants and animals in nature. I also love waving at the other flowers I see in the window. I love making the mail carriers and people in cars passing by the house smile. It really relaxes me. It makes me feel like I am not alone and I have someone I can lean on. Although Dawn tries to remember to water me and keep me near a window for sunshine, we don't talk anymore. This hurts me to my roots. 




Things have felt so weird these days. Lately, I haven't been able to make Dawn smile. She doesn't smile at all, actually. Dawn used to talk to me all the time, especially about her mom. She would talk to me for hours. Dawn's mother taught her how to plant flowers, water them, and talk to them. Dawn never mentions anything about her mother now. It's like Dawn forgot that talking to me keeps me happy and thriving. 




My petals would perk right up when I saw Dawn walk toward me. Now, I feel such a strong sense of uncertainty. If I see Dawn walking towards me these days, it's usually her wanting to water me or make sure I don't have any dead leaves. I mean those things are important to my survival, but they will never compare to Dawn talking to me and sharing her most intimate thoughts. Those moments were priceless. I want those moments back terribly. I want to know Dawn still cares about me. Deep down, I believe she does. I really hope one day I can hear Dawn talk to me again. 




Today is the day my wish came true! Dawn came home early after a meeting. She just sat in a wooden chair at her kitchen table for a couple of minutes. Finally, Dawn spoke to me. She said, "Daisy, I can't believe my mom thinks I'm too busy for her. She just doesn't understand what I do and what I'm trying to do. I love her so much. I want to be a good daughter." Dawn stops talking and stares at me for a second. She smiles at me.




All of a sudden, Dawn picks me up and we get in her car. We drive for about fifteen minutes, until Dawn parks and turns her car off. She opens the car door on her side and picks me up again. I am so confused right now and nervous to see what is going to happen next. Then, Dawn rings a doorbell to a house I've never seen before. An older woman opens up the door with a very shocking look on her face. For a few seconds, no one says anything. 




Dawn decides to speak first. She says, "Hi, mom. I wanted to bring my flower, Daisy to you. I have had this flower for a while now. I remember what you taught me and I wanted to show it to you. I miss you, Mom. I'm sorry for everything. I hope one day you can forgive me." Dawn is about to walk away, but then Dawn's mom takes me out of Dawn's hand. She sits me on the couch on her porch. I start to get really concerned about what Dawn's mother is about to do.




To my amazement, she hugs Dawn. She tells Dawn how much she loves her and that Dawn will always be her baby. The two hug and talk for a while, until Dawn finally picks me up. We head back to Dawn's car and she shares with me the impact I made. She says, "Today, you were more than a flower. You were the bridge that brought me and my mom back together. I will forever be grateful for you, Daisy."




I could not believe Dawn's words to me. I always thought my job description was one basic thing. Today, I discovered that I am more than a flower who puts smiles on people's faces. I help bring people together. Whether you are a flower or a human, do not put limitations on yourself. We all can do more and be so much more. I am Daisy. I am a flower. I can do more than stand and look pretty. I am more than something to sniff. I have a purpose in this world. You have a purpose, too. 


March 24, 2021 12:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Eliza Entwistle
20:54 Aug 01, 2021

Aw. This story was inspirational and sweet, and I liked the perspective of the flower and it finding its purpose :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dina Demetrius
07:39 Apr 02, 2021

Such a lovely, inspiring and heartwarming story. Very much a parable, a reminder to take nothing for granted. And also we don’t need much to be happy...nature, and those we love to be with us. Being in harmony with both brings peace. Bravo, Traci!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darlene Hines
14:55 Apr 01, 2021

Beautiful written story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chestnee M
17:58 Mar 31, 2021

Awesome Story!! We all have a purpose.

Reply

Show 0 replies
ANTOINETTE KING
10:30 Mar 30, 2021

This is beautiful! It shows how we can easily get caught up with “life” that we can unknowingly and not purposely neglect those who enjoy our presence. They’re not pulling us here and there just want to be around us because just our presence, conversation and/or smile makes them happy.

Reply

Traci Neal
01:08 Mar 31, 2021

Beautifully said! Yes, oftentimes the people we love and who love us just want our presence around them. I believe it brings so much happiness to both parties.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KD D
02:19 Mar 30, 2021

I took away from this story that sometimes we just get so consume with everyday life that we forget the little things and it's the little things that matter and make the most difference to others. Great story Traci! Thank you- Kenya

Reply

Traci Neal
10:13 Mar 30, 2021

Wow! You're so welcome. Thank you so much for reading the story. It is the little things that can really help shape the big things in our lives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Curtis Neal
00:07 Mar 30, 2021

Great story, l just read this and I can relate to this story at a young age.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jessie Gadson
23:10 Mar 29, 2021

Beautifully written!

Reply

Traci Neal
23:17 Mar 29, 2021

Thank you so much. It amazing how beauty can come out of some emotional places.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Traci Neal
20:54 Mar 29, 2021

Quick Update: This story is very personal to me. I'm Dawn and Daisy in so many ways. Today, I'm so happy. I was able to talk things over with my real mom. I read her this story. I cried a lot towards the end of reading it. I gave her a pretty card with flowers on it & hugged her. This story brought me and my mom together. I'm so grateful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Erika Williams
19:40 Mar 29, 2021

Wow-- This was such a great reminder that we have multi-purposes and can lift and inspire even during times when we don't feel as if we are at our best. Well written.

Reply

Traci Neal
20:56 Mar 29, 2021

Thank you so much, Erika. We do all have multipurposes in this world. Sometimes it may take awhile to find it, but once a person, it is such an exciting journey ahead.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rohit Mahajan
11:31 Mar 29, 2021

Traci - V Inspiring and amazing story.

Reply

Traci Neal
20:57 Mar 29, 2021

I am so glad you were inspired. That really is so good to hear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tornetta Jeter
03:18 Mar 29, 2021

Traci, This story is absolutely amazing. I appreciate you for sharing this story with me. It definitely inspired me.

Reply

Traci Neal
20:57 Mar 29, 2021

You are so welcome. I'm so glad you took the time to read the story & were inspired by it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sue Thoens
01:28 Mar 29, 2021

This is a beautiful story capturing the essence of the human connection to our environment, nature, and each other. It brings awareness to how important it is to be still and stay connected to our world and those who love us. We all have a purpose and never know the impact of a simple act of kindness or just being there for someone can be. Well done and inspirational!

Reply

Traci Neal
20:59 Mar 29, 2021

I love the part where you talk about being still. Sometimes we get so busy with life that we don't take the time to stop and smell the roses. Still, it is in those moments where we can find our peace in the midst of problems or pain.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:59 Mar 29, 2021

This is a beautiful, inspirational story. It is heart-warming and mind opening. This story inspires others to find their purpose. I love it! 💕 Please continue sharing your amazing, inspirational stories.

Reply

Traci Neal
21:02 Mar 29, 2021

Thank you so much. I will continue sharing stories of inspiration. We all need more warmth. That's for sure. Everyone really does have a purpose. We just need to embrace our purpose and move forward with it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emmie Harvin
23:44 Mar 28, 2021

A beautiful story, Traci! An uplifting message for us all!

Reply

Traci Neal
21:03 Mar 29, 2021

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Stories that are uplifting are always encouraging in the midst of the negative things that try to bring us down.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cam Mayes
22:46 Mar 28, 2021

This was an amazing story. I was inspired by it. I read until I got to the end. Very interesting.

Reply

Traci Neal
21:05 Mar 29, 2021

I am so glad you were inspired by the story. I love stories that I just can't put down. I hope you felt like you could visually see the story in your mind. Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tisha Carr
17:50 Mar 28, 2021

It's a lovely story, made me tear up inside. I love the message within the story. ❤️❤️❤️

Reply

Traci Neal
21:06 Mar 29, 2021

Wow! I am so happy that this story sparked an emotional response in you. That is wonderful news. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
La Cole
17:39 Mar 28, 2021

Inspirational story. This particular piece was a reminder why we( individuals,) must not leave ANYONE behind in our lives. You don't know who, or whom you've impacted ALONG this journey called life. Be careful , be open and be willing to SURRENDER love one to another.

Reply

Traci Neal
21:08 Mar 29, 2021

Thank you. I loved your last sentence about being careful, open, and willing. Being vulnerable takes courage, but in the end, it builds stronger connections that would have never been possible otherwise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lillian McBride
17:06 Mar 28, 2021

This story was beautiful written with a lot of thoughts put into it. We must always take the time and smell the daisy.💕💕

Reply

Traci Neal
21:13 Mar 29, 2021

Thank you. I did have a lot of thoughts and emotions when I first wrote it. Words tend to flow freely for me, when I'm having to deal with a strong emotion. I totally agree with you about stopping and smelling the daisies.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Monica Epps
16:52 Mar 28, 2021

Beautiful story with a message. Loved it. 💜💜💜

Reply

Traci Neal
21:13 Mar 29, 2021

Thank you. I appreciate you reading it. I'm very glad you loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.