0 comments

Contemporary Fantasy Fiction

Egyptian Goddess Isis watched the sun rise and set off on her way. It was the hottest part of the day when she was near Glen’s farm. She thought “Why not I slake my thirst and rest here a while?” She softly descended and went into the barn of Glen’s house. A dog – I should say a female dog started sniffing and Isis patted her on the neck. She read the name ‘Melba’ on the collar on the neck and said “Melba, don’t make any noise. I’m goddess Isis come to take rest.” She drank water from a brook and sat on a stuffed wooden bedstead in the barn. She told herself “Very hot outside but cool within.”

Melba was nearby and Isis thought “Why not make Melba recount some story to pass time as I rest? The doings of humans would be entertaining. Of course Melba’s human voice will fail when I leave here.”

Melba suddenly got the voice of a human female. Isis said “Will you tell me a story?”

Melba said “I don’t know any stories but I can tell you of my experiences and from whatever I’ve overheard.”

Isis said “I’m all ears.”

MELBA SPEAK:

My master, or I should say my mistress is Roxie, a very attractive young woman. She was from a poor family and was married to Glen who owns this farm. It is now empty due to covid fears. Only Glen and Roxie now live here and of course myself. Glen is a little dim-witted and isn’t well educated. Roxie is only a little better. Both are typical rustics. Recently Glen had been advised to improve yield of his crops and an adviser named Jovan had been sent here for the purpose. Jovan was a handsome young man who had degrees in vet science besides agriculture. Jovan looked at Roxie and surely would have asked himself “What’s an old farmer doing with an attractive young wife?”

Jovan was given this barn to stay in while Glen and Roxie stayed in the adjoining main house.

That morning after arrival Jovan opened his bag took out an instrument and switching it on said “Mr.Glen this barn is contaminated. It has to be fumigated for which special masks would be needed. You could come with me using my second mask.”

Glen said “No, no. They say that the slightly older people are vulnerable to catch covid. There’s nobody here to help you. The migrant hands have all gone to their villages.”

Roxie said “I can help.”

Glen said “It isn’t safe. And you could infect me.”

Jovan said “There’ll be no problem if she helped. This suit I’ve brought will protect fully.”

Glen asked “How long will it take?”

“Till this meter stops reading. Could be an hour.”

“Alright. You do it. Our cook is away and I’ll cook.”

Roxie said “Glen is a very good cook. Wait till you have lunch.”

After Glen had left the spot, Jovan led Roxie in and said “You’ve great courage to volunteer on this dangerous mission. I greatly appreciate it. You must wear this outfit after removing all your clothing.”

“This suit is all transparent.”

“It can’t be helped as the covid virus can stick to clothes. I’ll help you take off your dress. Then you must anoint yourself with this disinfectant liquid and then draw on the suit before start of fumigation.”

As she started anointing herself he said offering  her a tube of medicine “You’ve blemishes which could be removed with this ointment. Apply it there for instance” he said pointing.

“But that place is always hidden by clothing.”

“It’s up to you. If you have a problem in applying this medication, I’ll do it.”

She didn’t respond and he squeezed the tube to his fingers and applied it at various places on her body as she said “It tickles.”

“You’ll have a perfect body once I’ve applied this medication all over.”

“All over?”

“Undoubtedly. Everywhere.”

That done she was indeed melting with his expert touch in the garden of bushes.

She said “Now can I wear the protective suit?”

“Not before I.......” He didn’t complete what he had to say when she succumbed to his inclination on the stuffed bedstead.. Afterwards she said “I didn’t know it could be so exciting.”

He said “I can assure you that after fumigation it would be even better.”

“Again?”

“Sure.”

Jovan now used live coal he had stored and threw certain powders into it. Smoke filled the barn which had a very pleasant smell. She now got Glen’s call “I hope the smoke won’t choke you. I want Roxie to be safe.”

 Roxie answered saying “It’s almost done. Once more, and we’ll be out of this place.”

When they came out Glen was horrified to see Roxie totally nude in a transparent outfit and said “Jovan I hope she won’t catch covid as she’s you know, you know unclothed.”

“She’s clean. Two more sessions and this barn will be covid free. Then we start on the main house. After that we can attend to improving agricultural yield. Of course before that the fumigation has to be repeated at least thrice on 3 consecutive days.”

“It seems to require a lot of doing.”

“It requires even more doing at least once in 2 months at the outset.”

He said “By that time some of my migrant labour would’ve returned.”

Jovan said “I can’t use illiterate migrant labour as this is a very special job. Roxie is well versed and can continue to assist me.”

Roxie said “He has trained me well. I can assist him.”

Jovan said “Mr.Glen next time I come I’ll bring one more special suit so that you could also participate in fumigation.”

Glen said “No no. They say old people could catch covid faster. And from what I’ve heard, they suffer a great deal before dying. And there’re so many uncertainties like covid care availability, supply of oxygen etc. I’ve to be very careful.”

Jovan said “The firm I work for has said that you’re a very special customer and have to be serviced regularly. I’ll be here periodically to check if the covid levels are within limits as seen on the meter. If not I’ll do the necessary fumigation.”

Glen was very happy but he said “I’ve already paid your firm a big sum for the service.”

Jovan said “I’ll convey to my firm your view and suggest they should reconsider charges. For my part I will come on my way while I’m passing through to other customers and help. I know our firm is committed to service large customers like yourselves.”

Glen said “I’m very happy.”

Roxie joined in and said “I also thank you for your service.”

Isis had enjoyed Melba’s story.

Melba attempted to say something but her voice failed. She gave a small bark to express her dissatisfaction at being deprived of human speech! Isis had disappeared from the area!

END

June 19, 2021 08:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.