4 comments

Fiction Romance

Tom and Gloria stood outside a magnificent brick building as they waited for the broker to arrive. Tom observed his surroundings with his keen gray eyes. He took note of the make and models of all the cars parked along the tree-lined street, guessing at the year of each. He made sure to say, “how do you do?” along with a courteous nod to the people walking their dogs, keeping an eye on them long after they had passed. ‘Did they pick up after their pets?’ he wondered. Of the five or so pet owners who had passed, the answer was always ‘yes’. 

“Hello,” called a gentleman in slacks and a polo who looked more like he belonged on a golf course. 

“Honey,” Tom said, tapping his wife on the shoulder. 

“Huh?” Gloria said as if she were waking from a dream. 

“The broker is here,” Tom added. 

Tom greeted the broker, Edward Long, with a firm handshake while looking him directly in the eye. 

“It’s good to finally meet you both,” the broker said. “Shall we step inside?”

The couple nodded. Edward led the way, opening the door to allow Gloria and then Tom inside. Gloria kept to the fringe of the small lobby while Edward explained how mail and packages were handled. They moved to the elevator, though the beautifully carved staircase did not go unnoticed by Tom. 

“After you, Sweetie,” Tom told his wife as he ushered her inside the elevator. 

They rode to the fourth floor and exited to a white dimly lit hallway. The flooring was a dark brown or maybe black carpeting. The unit they were viewing was three units ways from the elevator. For a moment, the broker fumbled with the lock before opening the main entrance to the apartment. 

“Here it is.” Edward said for added effect.

Tom led the way inside. The apartment was surprisingly spacious for a one bedroom unit. 

“The washer and dryer are here…” Edward said as he began to rattle off the features of the apartment. Tom was well versed in everything about the apartment. He was aware that the fridge was slightly smaller than standard. He knew there was a gas stove; a major selling point he believed for Gloria. The bedroom had two closets, though neither were walk-ins. The bathroom was cramped, but they could make do with it. Though the tub did look smaller than standard, but this made sense to Tom who found the square footage on the listing quite curious for the bathroom and its amenities. 

“What do you think?” asked Edward.

“Gloria?” Tom asked. When she did not respond, Tom looked around him. He did not see his wife in the room. “Gloria,” he called again, this time exiting the bedroom with Edward in tow. “There you are,” he said when he found Gloria standing in the kitchen/living room space, staring out the window which had a view of a brick wall. She stood frozen as if she had seen a ghost. 

“Excuse me, if you will for just a moment,” Tom said. 

Edward nodded and receded into the background, preoccupying himself with his mobile phone as Tom moved forward. 

“Honey? Sweetie,” he said, walking up behind Gloria. He gently massaged her shoulders which were tense and in a raised position. After getting no response from her, he stepped closer and wrapped his arms around her waist and embraced her close to him. She had become a different person ever since she received the new that her company was downsizing and eliminating her position. Then she seemed to have vacated her body upon the news that he had lost his job. 

Tom turned his wife around so that she was facing him now. He noticed she was biting her bottom lip and clearly fighting back tears in her shiny dark brown eyes. 

“It’s okay, sweetie. I know the situation is not ideal. I know the apartment is much smaller than our house, but the place is quite nice.”

He began to recount to Gloria everything that he had observed about the apartment and its surroundings. The quietness of the street on which it was located. The assumed affluence of the neighbors based on the number of luxury cars that dotted the side of the street. He recalled to her the carpeting of the hallway and the apartment’s distance from the neighbors. “We won’t have to worry about being disturbed by the neighbors,” he explained. 

As he said all these things, he massaged the sides of Gloria’s arms. He could feel slowly as the tension faded away. Finally, without saying a word, Gloria nodded at least in acknowledgement to what he was saying. 

“And don’t forget, the apartment has a gas stove. You’ve always wanted a gas stove.” Tom caught himself before he said that she would have more time to try new recipes. He looked carefully at Gloria and she smiled at him, or really for him was his interpretation. The way she exposed her teeth was bordering on a grimace. He could see as her eyes squinted wet with tears, but refusing to let a single drop stain her beautiful cheek. 

“There, there,” Tom said, embracing her once more. “While I do think this apartment is suitable. I do want you to be happy here too. Moving here will help us whether the financial turmoil that is the economy right now. But,” he paused. “If you don’t like it here, we can continue looking.”

Gloria squeezed his hand, but then turned around as Edward approached them, broaching their privacy. 

“If you need more time,” he began, “you can give me a call. I’m happy to answer any other questions that you may have that are affecting your decision. However, I do have eight other people interested in the property. 

Tom turned around to his wife. “What do you say, Gloria,” he asked in a gentle whisper. He said nothing more but observed her; frozen and silent. Finally he witnessed a gentle nod. He squeezed her hand and then turned away to give her her privacy as she collected herself. 

“We’ll take it,” Tom said, pulling Edward away to the other side of the apartment so that they could discuss the next steps.

May 28, 2022 14:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

19:34 Jun 09, 2022

Hi Allya, I liked the slice of life story you present to us here. I would recommend digging up a bit more into the characters' emotions and thoughts since there seems to be a theme of disconnection, particularly with Gloria's character. Overall it was a nice read! :)

Reply

Allya Nosmada
10:56 Jun 11, 2022

Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Piper Ollie
04:18 Jun 05, 2022

Such a fun submission! I love stories that are just like a slice of life!

Reply

Allya Nosmada
10:56 Jun 11, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.