Death of a Cup

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Kids Mystery

It’s dark in here. Very dark. I can see a brightness around the edges of the door but it doesn’t provide much light. I can see enough to see there are others in here with me. No one says anything though. Maybe they’re as scared as I am. Should I break the silence and say something? I guess not. I’ll just wait and see what happens.

I'm a prisoner. They can’t keep me in here forever.

Can they?

I have no idea.

I just sit here. What else can I do? It’s not like I can get up and move around. If I could where would I go? Out the door? Who knows what’s out there? It could be worse than it is in here. At least in here it’s warm and dry. Before I came here I was covered with scalding hot water and put up on a rack. I didn’t even know they did that anymore. Seems like an archaic form of torture. It hurt so bad.

I can’t even move.

How long have I been in this room? Why doesn’t anyone say anything? I don’t want to draw attention to myself so I stay quiet. I just wish I knew what was going on. This suspense is killing me. Is anybody going to check on us?

I quietly sigh.

Suddenly the light around the edge of the door goes out. We’re completely in the dark now. Damn.

I sit here for what seems hours but I really don’t know how much time has passed.

I hear voices. Seems like they are far away though. I can’t understand them anyway. I wonder who they are? Are they my jailers? I’m scared.

A machine comes on somewhere outside. Well, outside of this room anyway. I don’t know what it is. It starts strong and then settles into a steady rhythm. After a few minutes, it stops. It’s quiet again.

I can’t take this silence!

“Hello?” I whisper.

Nothing.

“Hello?” I say again a little louder this time.

Someone behind me whispers, “Shh. Go to sleep.”

“But…”

“Quiet! You’re going to get us all in trouble.” Someone else says.

Nothing else. Dead silence.

Oh man, I wish I hadn’t said dead.

I guess I did fall asleep. Suddenly there was light around the door. Really bright this time. It’s still pretty dark in here but I can make out the others around me. I count eight of us.

No wait, there’s more over to the left.

They look different though. They’re not like us at all. Almost like they are inferior copies. Maybe they are from a different generation. They look old and worn out. I kind of feel sorry for them.

I feel sorry for myself.

Where I came from was completely different from here. It was bright and open and airy. It was big and happy. There were a lot of people. There was music too. Now it’s just dark and silent.

I hate it here.

I spoke too soon. I hear voices. Several voices. I don’t know how many are out there but it sounds like quite a few. It seems like they are all talking at once.

I hear the sound of metal against metal.

That’s scary!

I hear more sounds. Is that water? Are they going to scald me again? God, I hope not! I don’t think I could take the pain.

I hear something, um, what is that sound? It’s a hissing, no that’s not right. Crackling? I don’t know. I’ve never heard that sound before. It goes on for a few minutes and then it stops.

There’s that sound of metal against metal again. That’s a scary sound. And then it happens again.

What is going on?

I hear a soft, breaking sound and then… um, sizzling? I don’t know how else to describe it. Something's burning! It smells like, it smells like... burning flesh! Oh, God, no! Not that! I don't want to burn alive!

I try to scream but the sound gets caught in my throat.

This is horrifying! I cringe every time I hear a noise.

The people aren’t talking as much now. I still can’t make out what they are saying eve when they do talk.

I hear metal again. But not metal on metal. Several pieces of metal hit a hard object.

Are they laying out torture devices?

I feel so empty inside.

Unidentifiable noises grow louder and more frequent.

I don’t know how much more of this I can take!

I can’t see anything except what is in this room.

“What’s going on?” I cry out.

Someone replies, “You’ll see for yourself soon enough I guess.”

And then he laughs. A cruel laugh.

I’ve never been this scared in my whole life.

I didn’t have a good childhood. I was alone and got handled roughly. Pushed around. I was defiant but I finally shaped up with the help of a nice guy. I grew strong and confident.

All that confidence is gone now. I feel like I did when I was young. Just a blob of nothingness awaiting whatever fate will deal to me.

Suddenly the doors opens. The light is so bright it hurts my eyes. Before they have a chance to adjust to the light someone grabs me and pulls me forward.

Suddenly I am falling. It’s like being in slow motion and I try to look around but I am spinning as I fall. What is happening?

Someone screams, “Oh no!”

I try to scream but I can’t. I am frozen with fear.

I hit something hard. Really hard. I feel everything in me break.

God, it hurts so bad! I’m dizzy and in so much pain. The world is spinning and I know I am dying.

Then I hear a voice. Is it an angel coming for me?

“Masie! You broke your father’s new coffee cup. You need to be more careful. Get the broom and dust pan and sweep that mess up.!"

September 04, 2020 16:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Princemark Okibe
07:14 Sep 17, 2020

For the critique mail. Your work is well written and well edited and it was surely gripping even though the title gave it away. The title may have given it away but I was still curious to see how the cup died. You used stream of consciousness to great effect. Also I like the fact that you wrote for kids and still made it very engaging without the need for complex words and complex sentences. I do have some suggestions for you. 1. "I'm a prisoner. They can’t keep me in here forever." In this piece, you can change the first phrase...

Reply

Bill Willoughby
18:09 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you for the comments and helpful suggestions. Yes, I revealed the ending in the title. But, you are the ONLY person who has realized that! Not one person has ever made the comment to me before.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.