Rei Akemi: Vices and Virtues

Written in response to: Start your story with the narrator or a character saying “I remember…”... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Fiction

'I remember when things were simpler. But it has to happen' Rei thought to himself, looking at an older picture.


"Happy birthday, Gemini. It was fun while it lasted. But you, Dravi, Saegusa, and Esperanza are going to meet someone better than me." Rei whispered to himself at his desk, looking at a picture of Gemini. 'Hopefully when Esperanza kills me, she'll convince the others that it was suicide or something. That would be best for everyone.'


He closed his eyes tightly, and a single drop landed on the photo.

Esperanza creeped in the room silently, with the psio-gun he had given her. He felt her presence, but said nothing.

She had set it to kill, charged with an Inthraci curse. 'He doesn't sense me, he would've said something by now, so this is my only chance. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it if I don't do it now.' She thought to herself, aiming the gun. She pulled the trigger, the curse hitting him in the back, causing him to slump over on his desk, and fall to the ground.


Esperanza rushed over, dropping the gun by her side, to cradle his body as he died. She looked in his eyes. There were roman numerals around the edges, like a clock. It was counting down. "I'm sorry, Rei. I didn't-" She was interrupted by him shushing her. "It's ok...Thank you. Promise me something." He said. She nodded, "Anything," She said. "Always choose what is right over what is easy. And tell Dravi and Gemini that...I...love...them..." He said, the clock striking twelve. She could tell his heart stopped. The light left his eyes, and she buried her head on his chest, and started sobbing. She didn't know for how long, but it felt like an eternity. When she finally pulled her head up, she saw that he was holding a photo. It was a group picture of her, Rei, and his two roommates, Dravi and Saegusa.


She hugged his body as though she was just a little kid. Then, the door to the basement opened and the others walked in.


"Hey, where's Rei? He said he'd be here today-" Gemini froze. She dropped the cake she was holding, sensing that something was wrong. Then Saegusa and Dravi rushed in as well.


"What happened?" Gemini asked as Esperanza stepped back.

"I don't know, I only just got here myself. My theory is that he killed himself." She suggested, lying.


"What makes you say that?" Asked Saegusa. Esperanza picked up the gun and the picture in his hand. "The gun was in here, and he was holding a photo of everyone. I don't know about all of you, but that screams 'Suicide' to me." She explained. Everyone nodded, and they gave him a proper burial in what would one day become Monochrus, near where he one day would have to bury his fallen friends.


Three Years Back, Seventeen Years Forward


Sirius woke up. He remembered the explosion that happened the night before, the one that knocked him out. He looked around. He remembered Celeste, and that she was probably affected by the explosion as well. He looked around, sure that if she had gotten knocked out, she would be close. And she was.


"Celeste...Celeste?" He said, stepping closer. That's when he realized. She was dead. Her eyes frozen open, seemingly staring at nothing. The light gone from her eyes. He took a step back in disbelief, when he slipped on something. It was a wand. It was the one Moira had made for him. He picked it up, feeling its power thrumming through him.


"Daomi. What do I do? All my friends are gone. I have nothing left." He said, dropping down in front of Celeste's body.

"Well, Young Master, there is an option. Although it is dangerous." Said the wand. Sirius nodded.

"I'll do it. What is it we're doing?" He asked. "Travelling through time. When do you wish to go?" Asked Daomi. Sirius thought for a few moments. "2050. But how are we going to travel in time? That's impossible." He said, confused. "If you use the power of Zero within me, you'll be able to. After you activate it, I can handle the rest. Do you trust me?" He asked. Sirius nodded.


"I do." He replied. "Daomi: Activation sequence number Zero. Execute command!" He said, and he could feel something change. Suddenly, everything became a blur, merging into one white light, all around him. Then, black.


When he woke up, he was in a bed. He got up, and reached for Daomi, though he was not there. In his place were his other wands, Walpurga, Nemesis, and Chara. He picked up Walpurga. He slowly and carefully explored each room in the location where he was at. None of the doors were locked, so that rules out kidnapping.


'Unless maybe I really am in 2050. But that doesn't explain how I came to be in another place. Unless this is where I left from. But no matter. I'll figure everything out in due time.' He thought to himself, walking out the front door.


He walked around this new environment, and pulled out his phone.

'Oh, right. I don't have anyone to call. I'm not sure trans-temporal calling is available in the phone plan I have.' He joked to himself. He bumped into someone. It was a woman, and her coffee spilled all over the ground.


"Oh, I'm terribly sorry! My apologies. I can pay for another one, if you want. I'm kind of new here, so I don't know where any coffee shops are. Do you mind leading me to one?" He asked. She smiled. "Yeah, sure. I don't mind. C'mon, it's this way. Oh, can't forget the mess." She said, flicking her wand, and the mess disappeared in an instant. 'Wait a moment, I don't even know what currency they use, if they use any. But hopefully they do.' He wished, following the woman.


"Oh, by the way, what is your name, ma'am?" Sirius asked.

She turned her head to face him. "Esperanza Esperanto. And your name?" She asked in return. "Er...Rei. Rei Akemi." He lied, using his pseudonym instead. She nodded. "Well, Mr. Akemi, we are here. I'm holding you to your word of free coffee." She said, taking a seat.


Sirius looked around, and he realized where he was. He wouldn't have ever thought that in 2050, these would still exist. "This is..." He said, trailing off, in shock of his surroundings.

"An anime café, yes." She finished his sentence, as a waiter in a butler outfit walked up to their table. "How may I take your order?" He asked. Esperanza thought for a moment. "I'll take my regular order. What about you, Rei?" She asked.


"I'll take what she's having." He said, not sure of their menu. The waiter nodded, and left to get them their drinks. Esperanza pulled out her phone. "You don't happen to know today's Sweardle, do you? I can't seem to figure it out." She said, handing him her phone. He looked at the letters. "Hell. It's hell." He said, typing it in. He got it right, and handed her her phone. She was shocked. "How'd you figure that out?" She asked. He shrugged.


"There was an H, and the only vowels left were I and E. L was also an option, and no other consonants can follow H, so the conclusion was hell. Oh, the waiters' coming." He said, and Esperanza chuckled, and in unison, they both said: "That's what she said!" Her eyes lit up.


"Hello, here are your drinks. Enjoy." He said, leaving them once more. "Well, let's go. Where do you live, by the way? I would like to walk you home, seeing as you're new here, and it can be dangerous sometimes." She offered, getting up. He nodded, saying, "Sure, why not?" Getting up as well.


He led her to where he woke up. He walked in, throwing his wands on the nearby table. "Woah, nice house. Do you mind showing me around? I'd love to get to see more of it." She said, in awe of the room they were in. He nodded. "I'm still learning my way around here too. Er, just moved in. But I wonder if this place has a basement."



To Be Continued.....




April 08, 2022 11:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.