The Neighbor

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

We all have neighbors. Sometimes they can be a bit weird or creepy, but I assure you that they will never be like this one. Everyone calls her “The Neighbor” or “Risky”, her real name is Risk Raven. Most won’t take her seriously, but anyone who is like me would know. They think she’s a legend, but I know she is real, and this is my story...


“Foo” I blew. But something didn’t seem quite right this year. The wind howled, the snow was dropping colder than usual, then it got really foggy. The night was very queer. “What piece do you want?” Mom asked. “You guys eat the cake, I’m not hungry.” I sighed. Walking upstairs, I felt a cold breeze. I shivered.

I layed down in my bed, ignoring the breeze completely. My vision was unclear, for I was falling asleep. But while I was falling asleep, I saw a blurr. What I could make out of it looked like a person, but I could almost see right through it. I fell asleep almost instantly after noticing it.

Then I woke up. I wasn’t in my bed, I was on the ground in the forest. There was what looked like the same figure standing in front of me when I got up, it was a girl. I wasn’t really scared, so I tried to say something to her, but I couldn’t. She bent down and grabbed a rock, then, she hit me in the head.

I woke up, for real this time, but I had a huge headache. “Luca,” my mom called, “time to get up for school!” I walked to the bathroom and saw that my head was bruised, then I remembered the dream. That day at school, we got to choose a research topic. I unknowingly chose paranormal research.

“Ugh! I can’t find anything!” I shouted. The teacher looked upset from me yelling, “Keep looking, just focus on your work instead of bothering others!” Then I saw it, I came across a website that talked about a girl named Risk Raven, or The Neighbor. “What is this?” I thought. I just read and wrote through the entire passage.

At the end of the passage, there was part of it talking about when she was born, and about how sometimes she visits those who are exactly her age in many different ways, including their dreams. I came home that day and did even more research. Girls and boys my age have been caught apparently talking to themselves, but they deny it, they say they were talking to a girl named Risky, they would say she’s very cruel, some supposedly got killed. I started to wonder, “Is Risk Raven the same girl who was in my dream? Is she actually The Neighbor? What does she want?”

Day after day, week after week, for months I waited for her to return, but nothing happened. Then one night, I just, well, gave up. “SURPRISE!!!” everyone screamed. “What’s going on?” I yawned. “It’s your birthday!” my mom laughed.

I can’t believe they threw me a surprise party for my birthday, I mean, I hate surprises! Not only do I hate surprises, but I hate being woken up by a mob of surprising people even more! What, did they sneak in at four’o’clock in the morning, cause it’s five! So as the day went on, cake time was coming closer. Dinner was about to start, but the day seemed to be going so slow, it seemed to be another very queer birthday for me.

“I’m about ready for this day to be over, I’m ready for cake!” I strangely laughed. Everyone sang, “Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Luca! Happy birthday to you! Make a wish.” So I made a wish, I was about to blow out the candles. Before I got the chance, the rest of the lights went out, and everyone disappeared. Then “she” appeared, risk Raven was right in front of me.

She blew out the candles, then, everything went back to normal, well, mostly  everything. Later that night, I was sitting on my window sill doing more research about her. I found that she is out seeking revenge, and the one thing that makes a ghost crazy is when they choose to stay. I got a strange feeling that I should look out the window, so I did. There she stared right back  at me. “Luca,” she whispered. “Risky?” I answered.

Then she disappeared. “Please come back tomorrow Risk.” I whispered. Then I layed down and fell asleep. “I’m back.” I thought. Then I saw her. “Hi.” I said.

Her reply was a smile. I just smiled back. “You know, any mother like yours is bound to at least beating her children.” she said quietly. Confused, I said, “how would you know that?” She laughed, “Because I’ve seen your mom, she’s just like mine. The anger is building up inside of her, who’s she gonna take it out on? Mine beat me to death” She punched me, I woke up.

“Hey mom, can I stay home today? I’m not feeling all that good.” I asked. “Sure honey, be good. Don’t leave the house!” she replied. After last night, I knew my wish would come true. “Risk!” I whispered, “are you there?” I turned around and there she was there. We stayed silent until my mom left.

“What do you want from me?” she said. “You know, I was wondering the same thing!” I said confused. “I just want friends, friends that can relate to me exactly.” she sighed, “You’ll never understand.” “I know.” I said. “Whatever! I’m leaving.” she said. Risk never shouts, that’s one thing I have learned.

“Luca? I’m home...Hello?” shouted my mom. She walked up to my room to see me playing video games. “Luca! You’re supposed to be in bed!” She screamed. “Wait, uh mo-” I couldn’t finish. She dragged me to her room and hit me till I bled. Risk was right, my mom is just like hers.

“So I was right huh?!” Risk whispered. “EEK!” I shouted startled that she appeared right in front of me, “First of all, don’t do that to me! Second of all, I guess so.” “I’m not leaving by the way, your mom can’t see me. I came to visit you, not her, so she can’t see me.” she said. I just sighed, “Please leave me alone, can’t you see? I want to be left alone right now, I’m obviously beaten and bruised.”

“I told you, you don’t understand. Not only was I beaten and bruised, but now I’m dead! I can’t believe you.” She left me alone. The day passed fast, I ate dinner silently and went to bed.

I was in the same place, and having the same dream. “Risk? Risk?” I yelled, no answer. I just turned around and there she was. Again, she knocked me out with a rock. I’m not sure what happened next, I couldn’t breathe very well.

I woke up the next afternoon coughing up water. “She tried to kill me!” I thought. I started to get ready for school, but my mom wasn’t home, there was no breakfast made. Then I realised that I wasn't even in my house. ”Risk, what did you do, where am I?” I shouted.

“I didn’t do anything, it was your mom.” she whispered. “Well, then wha-'' I couldn’t finish. Risk laughed, “You see up here, you have to be quiet, when you’re around people like me anyway.” I sighed. “Then explain every time you visit me you punch me, or knock me out!” “I have a reason,” she started, “ it’s because that’s the only possible way for you to leave.”

“Well, then explain the water that I coughed up this morning!” I whispered. “Hu, I wish that you didn’t have to go through this but, that’s what happens when someone dies.” Risk said. So then are those legends about you true, the ones where you terrorize kids?” I asked. She just sighed, then there was a moment of silence. “Yes. And, I’m sorry, but I lied. I hit you because I don’t even know why. I have no excuse. I’m really really sorry. I’ll make it up to you, whatever you want me to do. Just please f-” I kissed her.

I chose to stay with her. We both stayed till there was no one left. We had lots of fun while it lasted. One day, everything just stopped. There was no one left, not even us.

February 05, 2020 07:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.