Field of Sunflowers

Submitted into Contest #31 in response to: Write a short story about someone heading home from work.... view prompt

0 comments

Thriller Mystery

Finally, Friday had come and gone. The weekend was here. Even though Jonathan had to stay in the office till 9:30 at night, he was thrilled to go home. The moon was gleaming in the jet black sky. As Jonathan was walking around the quiet block to get to his house, he saw a trail of something brown or maybe even red on the floor. Upon further inspection due to his inquiring nature, Jon determined that the trail was a path of blood. 


He followed the dark red path that ran across the grey concrete sidewalk, allowing it to lead him into a dark, shady-looking alley, miles away from his house. He knew that this city was the least violent place on Earth and that whatever was at the end of this alley could not have been good. Still, Jonathan walked forward. He slowly reached into his pocket to have 911 on the dial and cautiously looked around him. His surroundings had been quiet, quiet enough that you could hear a pin drop. He knew that it would be no good to find the source of the red liquid, and yet he continued. 


He had been released from an 8-year jail sentence only a few years ago. He shouldn't have been in jail at all though, falsely sentenced for the manslaughter of a teenage girl, Genevieve Rogowski. She had olive skin, long red hair, hazelnut eyes with a thin face and body. Jonathan just turned 18 when he became the main suspect. At first, he was nothing but a witness. After all, he had seen who killed Ms. Rogowski. It was a slightly older man, possibly her father, her brother or her sister's boyfriend. But, after that man was found dead with a gunshot wound to the back of the head, Jonathan was the only other person at the scene, becoming the one and only suspect. And now he had a permanent criminal record for the manslaughter of a woman who he never even met. 


As Jonathan walked down the creepy alley, he felt as though it was never going to end. He couldn't even see where the pathway might end. And still, he kept on walking. Finally, after what seemed like an hour, Jonathan reached the end of the alleyway. The only thing is the end wasn't the end. He walked straight into a sunflower field. The trial of blood was directly in front of him. The blood ran across the ground, accompanied by sunflowers seemingly pushed out of the way. Jonathan knew that someone had been here, pretty recently as well. 


Against the better part of his judgement, Jonathan let his curiosity get the best of him, and he slowly made his way through the pathway of fallen sunflowers. This trek also seemed to take forever, but he eventually made it to a clearing in the infinite sunflower field. But what was in the center of this enormous field was what shocked Jonathan. A body. The body of someone who looked an awful lot like Genevieve Rogowski. 


As he was about to go towards the body, someone walked out of the sunflowers across from him. The person's long red hair was covering their eyes, but Jonathan saw a thin face and body clear as day. Slowly, the woman raised her head to look at him with her shining hazelnut eyes. Her lips twisted into a wicked grin. Somehow, Genevieve was still alive. Genevieve Rogowski, who caused Jonathan to go to jail for manslaughter, was alive. And it looked like she had been doing just fine. 


Genevieve walked to the body on the ground while her smile grew to three times as big as it was. She hoisted the body over her shoulder and motioned for Jonathan to follow. She appeared to be walking towards the enormous red barn on the horizon, and he knew better than to follow a homicide victim. However, when she whirled around and stared deep into his eyes, Jonathan instantly understood that walking with Genevieve would be much safer than attempting to run away from her. And so he did just that. 


While walking the long way to the barn, Jonathan watched the sky begin to brighten as the sun rose. As time went on, he became increasingly more and more concerned about what Genevieve was going to do with the mysterious body and with him. Finally, when the sky was bright, they reached the barn. Genevieve walked around to the other side of the barn, and Jonathan followed. When she stopped walking, she gently set the woman's body down and moved a large wooden board. That board was covering a hole that looked to be about the perfect size for a buried body. 

 

Genevieve moved towards the woman's decaying corpse and proceeded to push her into the hole in the ground. She then stood up, brushed off her hands and glanced at Jonathan. Slowly, excruciatingly slowly, she walked towards him. He was terrified. Was she going to push him into the hole? Was she going to bury him alive? It was thoughts like these that caused Jonathan to turn and run. As he ran, the sound of Genevieve's footsteps following in suite behind him made him run faster. But she ran quicker. 


Jonathan ran so far that he reached the large clearing in the middle of the sunflower field, in a fraction of the time it took him to get there. Genevieve was too quick though. He had to continue to sprint otherwise, she would catch him, and he had no idea what in the world she would do to him. 


He was quickly losing his energy. There was no way he could sprint all the way home or even back to his office, and yet he tried. Too bad he wasn't faster than Genevieve. Before he was even able to make it out of the sunflower field and into the alleyway, she caught up to him. She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and yanked him backwards. There was no way for Jonathan to regain his balance; she was too strong for him. In seconds, he was on the floor with a gash in his head. She had hit him with a metal pipe. 


Minutes later, Genevieve moved the wooden plank and pushed another corpse in. At this point, there were three bodies in that hole. A man with a wedding ring, a woman with a wedding ring and Jonathan. 

March 07, 2020 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.