0 comments

Holiday

The innkeeper was old.

Everywhere, people were asking when he would retire and give up the inn. Never mind that the inn’s occupants each year kept lowering and lowering. Nobody thought to come to this ancient city. The citizens would say that the inn had no right to be around and should be redeveloped into something better. There was nothing the innkeeper could do but wonder if retirement was the best option. The mere thought of it left him depressed for days.

Then came the boom.

Thousands of people entered the city, needing a place to stay. The sight of it made everyone tremble. It was then that the innkeeper felt the most smug. There was nothing the people needed more than inns.

His inn filled up rather quickly and soon he had three families to a room each. After listening to the occupants, however, he learned this boom would only be for a short while as the people had come so the emperor could complete a census. Oh well, at least the money from this boom will give me enough for retirement.

Soon, more people began to approach the inn, asking for a place to stay. There was nothing the innkeeper could say but no. One of these was a couple with a woman about to give birth. The man had begged for a room, but the innkeeper could only say no. However, the poor woman‘s predicament hit his heart and he offered them his manger, which was warm and dry.

Late that night, a light flashed against the sky. The innkeeper jolted awake. He had a feeling something important was happening. He ran outside and there above his manger was the brightest star he had ever seen. He could barely hear the sound of singing and the crying of, “Nowell! Nowell! Nowell! Jesus Christ is born!” The innkeeper was filled with joy, but had no idea why. He felt content with all the world and knew that everything would turn out to be just as planned. As he entered the building, he whispered very silently, “Thank you Lord for I have the joy and peace to finally retire. Rejoice!”

December 21, 2019 15:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.