3 comments

American Christian Contemporary

Sam and Tom are in love. Always they shared what the other had. Maybe a joke, a bar of chocolate, or a memory.

One Sunday, Sam who is a girl of 23, baked a cake for a friend Sandy’s birthday party that was to be celebrated at home. Tom was invited. After Sandy cut the birthday cake, she let out a piece into Tom’s mouth. Tom and Sandy grew up together in California. Five of the friends celebrated the party together. Sam, Sandy, Tom, Amy, and Eliot.

Usually, any time cake is put in Tom’s mouth by Sam. This time she had no choice but see herself with an empty hand. She had to eat the cake alone. Next came the turn of bubble tea that they ordered from Star Bucks and Eliot handed over the drink to Sam which usually Tom does. So, Tom started to feel uneasy at the sight of her girlfriend being separated from her. 

In reality, Sam did it on a purpose after the cake episode. They had a party with loud music and drink and favourite burgers from Mc D.

It was a day of charm for the entire band of three friends but for the distancing of Sam and tom.

This is the second time they got offended at a birthday party. Just a week ago, when the couple was invited for lunch by the Taylors, they didn’t have a good time either.

Tom was served chocolate pudding and he devoured it. But one day when Sam prepared the same dessert, he tasted a bit and left the rest unattended.

Sam immediately started to take a deep breath for she could not control her fury upon him.

Similarly, one day when Tom selected a Tee for Sam, she chose what was next to it.

This made him feel bad and he requested her to take what he chose for her but she did not budge.

Although they love each other very much they have never even exchanged a smile more than once a day. They are having a tough time understanding each other which they are not aware of.

It’s Tom’s birthday and Oreo ice cream cake was ordered from Cream Stone. The five friends again gathered. Tom had one other cake and it was a chocolate truffle cake brought by his friends from Baker's Inn. Since the ice cream cake was ordered by Sam and chocolate was of the guests, he gave importance to it and cut it. Just then Sam blurted out “What in the world made you forget me?”

The ice cream cake was full of hearts and Sam had great expectations of it. The cake was a way to express her love for Tom. Immediately, Eliot just bombarded the cake on Tom’s face.

For Sam, Tom was a birthday boy and he had to be treated well. That was inhuman. She let this be known to all and was furious over it.

Eliot promised not to venture again.

Although both Sam and Tom loved each other, they have not expressed any love. They are an infant couple to love.

Sam prepared three dishes herself for the five of them for Tom's birthday. They were pasta, roasted chicken, and Mexican kidney bean salad. She started to learn Mexican cuisine and also was focusing on healthy eating habits and tried to incorporate them into her diet. She was a fitness freak. Tom was a fitness freak too.

They incidentally met in a gym just three months ago. That day was when Sam was new to California by just a week and Tom was already a citizen. She migrated from Germany to work there as a lawyer. They brought post-workout meals and shared them. Sam brought a glass of fresh orange juice and Tom brought protein bars.

After that, they exchanged their phone numbers. Sam visited Tom at home and she was introduced to his mother, Mrs Parley. Since then, they met a couple of times after which their relationship became stronger. 

Tom introduced Eliot to Sam. Eliot works at Tom’s office in the sales department. Tom is the assistant manager in the same department. Sandy and Tom have already been friends for twenty years now. They first met at Fountainhead public school. Amy and Eliot are brother and sister.

Sam has already known the four for a year now. They have been attending parties together. In three days it is Sam’s birthday and the four had planned a surprise for Sam.

They bought movie tickets for all four. Sam didn’t like the idea of a birthday celebration since she wanted to spend the day with Tom alone and didn’t know what to do.

The birthday falls on Valentine’s Day. She had a surprise gift for Tom, an electronic exercise gadget to check parameters. This was to make a remembrance of the day they met in the gym. She didn’t stop there. She spent her savings on a few other gifts-a wristwatch with a diamond-studded dial, two sweatshirts, a platinum finger ring, and a handcrafted coffee mug.

Finally, the birthday of Sam came. Tom forgot about it and was late in the office until midnight. It was time for the cake cutting. The three Sandy, Eliot, and Amy waited for Tom to attend to the preparations.

But surprisingly, Sam called Tom to know what he was doing then. 

To Tom’s surprise, Sam wished him, “A happy valentine’s day, Tom.” Immediately it crossed his mind that it was Sam’s birthday. She was super happy about it. She had no words to say.

For anyone, it’s a birthday but for Sam, she found her Valentine.

The five Sam, Tom, Eliot, Sandy, and Amy had a party. She forgot all the ill days and moments they had had and believed Tom was her valentine. After the cake cutting, Sam put the cake in Tom’s mouth and so did Tom. Sam and Tom ate the cake together. They exchanged a warm hug for which the rest clapped hands.

Hereafter, no fights, no buzz over others’ individual decisions. Only affection and love are all that matter!

August 02, 2022 07:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Michał Przywara
21:07 Aug 03, 2022

There's an important lesson in this story, about love and jealousy. A lot of Sam and Tom's issues seem to come from a lack of communication, where one is hurt but they don't say so, and instead they lash out and hurt the other in turn. And so it goes, back and forth. Finally they do get to talking though, on Valentine's, and things smooth out. There's a focus in this piece on parties and food, particularly cake. We eat with others as a way of bonding, but the story shows us that even here conflicts can arise. This is particularly so if w...

Reply

00:18 Aug 04, 2022

Most of things unmentioned are understood. Just by the context one has to understand. What Sam and Tom had to realise at the end was a true Valentine in the other. But surely I will work out on giving more detail. Thank you for staying on the page.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:49 Aug 02, 2022

Love is a weapon that heals the wounds of a struggling and poor relationship.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.