3 comments

Fiction Sad Middle School

 Talking to the moon

   The curtains hanging on the window are swaying back and forth because of the cool wind outside. They are having the time of their lives and feeling themselves as the most beautiful things on their planet.

She is watching out of the window on which the curtains are dancing to the beautiful weather outside, like nobody's watching them. How confident of them?! At Least more than her. Alas!! If only she realizes that she is more than just a beautiful and confident soul in an elegant body.

Her eyes glued to the sky. She may or may not be enjoying the view outside, a beautiful scenery . Only God knows. She is Blankly staring at the moon and stars. The night is still young  even in the midnight as it is a blue moon day. The moonlight and the starlight that are falling are giving a gracious glow to her face. But that doesn’t matter much to her. Only thing that is bothering her at the present is some missing company. At least the moon has the stars to give company through the thicks and thins of the moon.(Narrator is talking about the phases of the moon). But for her? Okay ! Let's not portray her as weak.

Her face is blank ,expressionless. Her mind is also blank- empty of thought. Her face is completely pale. Her cheeks and the tip of her have taken the tint of crimson red color along with redness in her eyes because of the amount of tear she has shed down. The traces that the tears made are clearly visible on her feeble face.

No more tears are left in the eyes. Or that is what she thought. But the truth  is that her eyes never stopped glistening with tears that night. Also not to mention those little drops of tears that are trickling down her tears every now and then whenever she blinks her eyes without her knowledge.

The reason for the blankness in her  mind is that she did not want to think about anything because if she tries to think of a single thing then everything would stir her mind. How miserable her life is looking like or may be feeling like. She knows very well about herself that the next moment she starts thinking, she can’t hold back herself from crying and also she can not afford herself being a weak personality .

Well you might be wondering why she is in such a sorrow and what is it and what is stopping herself from crying...!!!

Protagonist’s point of view

Same thing. I repeat - same thing. Same thing, different day and maybe everyday. Once again my stepmom falsely accused me in front of my dad. I even feel disgusted to call her " MY " .My dad who knows me very well ,sorry, who had known me very well doesn't even trust his daughter anymore. Oh God!  How Badly his second wife manipulated him! I  have a family. I have a house. But whenever I am home only one thing is missing- THE FEELING OF HOME.

Well! That feeling vanished from my DNA a longtime ago, when my mom left.  So you don’t need to worry  about that.

There is a saying that goes like “Everyone leaves your life when their time comes.”

Seems like her time has come a little bit sooner to leave me, my life and may be everybody’s life.  Her chapter has ended for everyone except for me. How can I  forget her story when I keep reading and re-reading every chapter of her story everyday, reminiscing the moments we spent together every possible second.

 Her traits and their traces never left me and my memory. Her beautiful eyes staring into my soul in my dreams every night and making sure if I am eating well and sleeping well, her voice that resonates in my ears singing a lullaby that gets me to sleep every night and not to mention her songs that are recorded in my mobile and my mind.  The texture of her skin in my DNA . And how can I forget her smell and warmth when I have her sarees stitched as my bedsheets and pillow covers?!  

Even though life has put me in a place called MIDDLE OF CHAOS, I still need to be thankful for two things.

  1. My family doesn’t really care about me. They can never put themselves in my shoes. But yeah, I still need to be grateful for the room they gave me. 

            I can never forget the comfort this room gave ,especially the window during the nights and on the days when the weather gets chilly. They make the lost hopes in me blossom by giving some positive vibes. 

At night ,when the stars light up my room ,I sit by myself talking to the moon. The moon listens to me without complaining unlike the people around me.

  1. Second is my  best friend, Ryan. Oh yeah, I have not mentioned about him till now. I am literally gifted to have this person on my side till this date. No ,he doesn’t know anything about my personal life. He tried asking me but I do not want him to worry. So I did not tell him about anything yet. Also the Best thing with him is that.. When I am with him ,my sorrows don't matter anymore. It will always be about his presence only. Only his presence beside me gives me butterflies in my stomach and my heart never stops fluttering. Yes , I have a crush on him. But never exposed it in front of anyone. I am not sure about his feelings ,so I kept it low till now. And also I do not want to ruin our friendship and loose him. It is hard for me but I was able to manage those feelings till dat. But I am not sure if I can ,in the future, thinking about how things are becoming worse by each day passing in my life. Okay, let's stop it here. Him and me being together has zero probability.

Back to present-

I literally feel very bad today. Every time whenever there is an argument between me and my father, he would come to me sooner or later that day and settle the things that day itself .But today, the fight has ended last night only and still he has not talked to me yet. 

My mobile phone buzzed with notification breaking the silence in my room. I reached out for the phone and saw that Ryan texted me.

 But I am really not in the mood to talk to anyone at the moment, not even him. I know  that he will get suspicious about me because of me who I am as a person. But I shrugged that thought thinking that I am going to deal with him tomorrow in the school.

He and I are classmates since kindergarten. But we got close from the past three years when we went on a school trip and he and I were teamed up. Things are getting between him and from that day.

I decided not to think about anything anymore and thought of going to sleep. I laid down on the bed and pulled the blanket over my body. Why did I even think that I would get some sleep tonight?

Time skip 

I am still tossing on my bed from the past one hour. Then I heard  some sounds coming from my window. Wait what? 

I immediately rushed to the window with slippers in my hands and positioned myself to fight him with the weapons in my hand.

But what I heard the next moment shocked me a bit. I heard my best friend calling my name. It is common for me to welcome him like this but I am not expecting him at this hour. I soon reached out to help him from the window. I let him sit on my bed and gave him some water. We both still did not exchange any words and I still did not dare to look at him in the eyes. I decided to break the silence and mouthed “why are you here at this time”. 

He took my hand in his before speaking.

“ you know this girl right in  front of me is a person who can't deal with her anxiety, at least not in front of her best friend. She gets very excited just with a single text from me. So you think I won't get suspicious when I do not receive her reply?”

I am just looking at him with my jaw slightly dropped. This man can literally read my mind from any far distance.

Ok so I decided to let it all out tonight in front of him.

After carefully listening to each of my words, he took me into his embrace and lent  his shoulder to cry which is what I have ever wanted throughout my life. At that moment I also felt little drops of tears falling down on my neck.

And at that point I have realized that 

" He is that someone that gets me like no one else

Right when I need it the most

And he'll be the one I rely on, a shoulder to cry on

A friend and a soul through the highs and the lows and he is the moon of my life." 

I guess, I don't need that moon in the sky anymore.

Author’s note: Let’s hope that they have a long way to go and she confesses her love to him.

When you loose one thing, you will get something that is more precious than the lost one.

June 11, 2021 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

11:26 Jun 15, 2021

Too good yaar. Keep going ✌️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Denny B Justin
06:41 Jun 15, 2021

Impressive story. Continue this spirit. Best wishes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Salman Khan
18:00 Oct 03, 2021

Splendid sahithya!!! Awaiting more such great works from you!! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.