2 comments

Contemporary Thriller

Hi, this is my first time writing for Reedsy. I hope you enjoy my short story!


I turned the coffee machine on as I shut my computer closed and stacked it on top of my suitcase. I surveyed the room looking to see if I had missed anything so I wouldn't forget it. I was going to be gone for a week, after all. I took my cup of coffee and poured in the milk slowly as the creamy, white texture mixed slowly with the dark, black coffee. I took two packets of sugar from the counter and rapidly emptied them inside the cup. No, I needed three. As I was stirring the coffee, a piercing shiver ran down my spine. It was cold in Madison, Wisconsin. I looked around until I found my grey hoodie. I hastily put it on and my hair got all staticky. I took a hair tie off my wrist and tied a mid-loose bun as the sides of my hair fell loose on the side. I poured the coffee into a thermos as I slid my phone into the pocket of my sweatpants. I took my suitcase, my thermos, and my computer as I rushed quickly to get to the car. On the way out, I snatched my keys and unlocked my car. I sighed. Another bill in an envelope on my doorstep. Every month, I get notices that I’m not paying my mortgage every month. It was the third month that I received the notice. I nudged the letter under the doormat and locked the door. I needed to find another place and quickly. I was going to a new city to check the place out. My friend, Ella recommended the place to me as a joke, but I took it seriously. I'm in desperate need of a place where the prices are low. I started the car as the engine groaned slowly to start. I backed out of the parking lot of the apartment complex and got onto the freeway. This was it. New town, new house, new me. 

I was about to fall asleep. Two hours on the road and all I see is dried-out land on both sides of me. No other cars on the road and no cities or houses for miles. I texted Ella when I was leaving. There wasn’t any immediate response, and there wouldn’t even be any service if I were to check my cellphone. As I drove for another 30 minutes, a city started to appear. Or actually, more like a small town. I kept driving until I came upon a long street. As I was driving alongside it, I noticed shops and stores scattered across the street. I then pulled up to the homes as I noticed that one had my name in huge letters on a conspicuous banner. It read “WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME, BROOKLYN!” What? How could they have known my name and the fact that I was moving here? I only told Ella about the fact that I was moving here. And she’s my best friend. I don’t talk to many people, very unlike my best friend who on the other hand is a social butterfly. She loves communicating with people and getting to know their opinions on clothes, food, and just even simple things. She must have told the neighbors. Just as I was contemplating what might have happened, a lady, who looked like she was in her 20s, in a tan creme-colored blazer and white top and jeans walked over to my car. Her hair spilled loosely over her shoulders in brown, silky waves. She smiled as her lip gloss coated lips said,

“You’re Brooklyn, right? I’m Alexandria, but you can call me Alex. Her big, brown eyes and tan skin shimmered in the afternoon sun. It was a lot warmer here than my home, well, my old home now. 

“Yeah, that’s me,” I spoke. “How did you know? And who put up the banner on the house?

“I did,” Alex said, her eyes gleaming at the house like it was gold. “Do you like it?” I

heard whispers here and there but I didn’t know where they were coming from. Alex didn’t seem to hear them, so I didn’t say anything. I was probably hallucinating. 

“Yes.” Her eyes remained on the house. “Do you know Ella?

“Mhm.” At the name of Ella, the whispers started again and this time constantly whispering the name Ella. I caught a few people around the corner pointing and whispering to each other. 

“How did you know I was coming? I repeated. 

“I put the banner up. Do you like it?” Her eyes didn’t move an inch. I started to feel a little cautious and realized I should probably head inside the house. 

“Well, I gotta go check out the house. See you around, Alex.” I parked my car and grabbed my bags and suitcase. I dug around for the key until I found it. I jiggled it inside the lock and the door creaked open. It seemed like a normal house, a little small, but I could put it to good use. I set my bags down and took off my shoes. I peeked outside to see if anyone was there. But no, not even Alex. She was just gone. 

My alarm awoke me from a deep slumber. I don’t think that I could have ever slept that well in a long time. I slammed my fist on the alarm multiple times while I was waiting for it to stop the horrible, repetitive beeping sound. I got up and stared at the room. It was painted a fading baby blue color, the crown molding peeling off. There was a white dresser that had unintentional yellow undertones and I knew I was not ready to open that up right now. I get off my bed and step on the hardwood floor as it creaked underneath my toes. The floor continued to creak as I walked to the bathroom. The doorbell rang with an ominous-sounding ring and I stumbled in surprise. I open the front door as I am awaited with Alex clutching a basket with freshly baked blueberry muffins. She wore a blue blazer and white shirt with watercolored flowers. 

“Hey, Alex. Do you need anything?” I inquired.

“No, I baked these blueberry muffins for you, though!” I smelt the warm air like the scent of freshly baked muffins wafted into my nose. I heard them again. The whispers. Are they always watching me? And what do they want from me anyway?

“Oh, thank you!” My mouth was already watering and I didn’t eat anything today. That’s when I realized I hadn’t even brushed my teeth. I just opened the door straight from the bed. 

“Bye!” I said hurriedly, to avoid further humiliation and a potential case of serious bedhead. 

I took the muffins and shut the door. I sat down at the table and stared at the muffins. I took a small bite and the taste of blueberry and warm vanilla flooded my mouth. But there was something else. An unknown flavor danced on my tastebuds. I continued chewing on it and took an even larger bite. Suddenly I didn’t feel so good. I was sweating and I couldn’t think. I fell to the floor as my head thumped against the wood. I couldn’t hear much and my eyesight became blurry. I heard people come inside. Two voices were talking. 

“Did you do it?”

“Yes, it's done.”

“Good.” I was trying to see who it was. I saw someone in a blue top. Alex. There was someone else’s voice as well. It was so familiar, it shouldn’t have taken me this long to recognize it. I was just stunned to know that it was someone so close to me. Ella. 



February 04, 2022 05:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

03:03 Feb 11, 2022

Hey Thea! This plot was good definitely made me want to keep reading. I would say just work on the amount of details you include in your sentences, some stuff you can leave out and let the reader infer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
B.T Beauregard
02:06 Feb 10, 2022

Hey Thea, this is T.C from the critique circle! Dang! I Definitely wasn't expecting that. I love how you built up the tension of the story, for that final moment there at the end. I wanna know what happens next! My only idea is that sometimes you added a few details that could be removed to make your sentences flow a little bit better. For example: "I took a hair tie off my wrist and tied a mid-loose bun as the sides of my hair fell loose on the side. I poured the coffee into a thermos as I slid my phone into the pocket of my sweatpants. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.