0 comments

American Happy

(Another collaboration story, just one friend this time. Hope you all really like this one, I think this one sounds pretty good. Thank you to my friend for inspiration!)

I do not like to plant things. I have even from a young age. Gardening is wrong. It's too much work. I don't like to water things or weeding. Nope, it's not very good at all. Yet here I am, sowing seeds for my job. I am twenty-one right now, in college. I have no other choice but to work here because it is the closest job to college. Because of my job, I'm given a ton of plants. My roommate says I'm a plant dad. He takes care of them for me anyway. Yet I'm the plant dad. I'm not even good at planting things. I just keep jamming seeds into the soil and covering them up, one at a time, painfully. Day in and day out. God I hate gardening.

If I was to be the "dad" of anything, it would probably be for another cat. I had three total when I was younger. One had a problem with their stomach. The other two cats died of old age. Both were nineteen years old, so it was expected. Cats are very cute. They do not require me to sow seeds. I love cats. Actually, my dad did like plants. My mom kept some around the house. But it was really my dad who was the plant person. I am really connected to my dad. I do love him. I love my mom too. But them liking plants, I will never understand. The other good thing about cats, is they knock things over. Like plants.

That's the main reason for me not getting one. It would be too much to clean up. Way too much to clean up. I would have problems with the cat. My roommate would have to take care of it. He is not willing to take care of more things I own. He doesn't go to class or work as much as I do. He takes one class. That's all he needs. His parents are rich and he does not need to work like I do. Lucky him. But who else would take care of my stupid plants? He likes gardening, and that's about the only thing he's actually good for. Next month we'll both be out of college.

I will not have a job next month. I won't have to own all of these plants. I can get a cat and have no more plants. This was the only thing that I really have to look forward to as I am sowing all these seeds. There are a lot of seeds left, but I have all week to get done three large bags of seeds. I've already done two bags. Of course, they were the smaller bags. But I got both of them done yesterday. I work night shifts. I work for an hour each night for a gardening company. I have to work very quickly because I can either get two small bags or one big bag done in order to leave. There is security on every door, and cameras watching us. They make sure everything gets done. You might think this is not a good place, but the pay is fantastic. Sowing seeds becomes good when you get paid as much as I do.

I find friends very easily. I'm not the most popular, and I'm really more of a jokester than anything. I like to tell my friends jokes and make them laugh. Some of them think that's fine, and others find me annoying. Some find me annoying but are friends with me anyway. I have one who's very into practicality. We do not share many of the same beliefs, but we have a lot of fun together. We did theater together when she was younger. She's getting a degree in writing. She dreams of being a writer when she is older. She's had a blog forever. I've read some of it. I wouldn't but I guess it makes her happy.

I personally like video games and sports. I'm studying to be a teacher, but my undergrad is in sports management. I coach some of the games my school has sometimes. It's very fun to coach. When I was younger I would play sports, specifically soccer. My roommate and I like playing online video games. He's cool and has a lot of games. He's just a really bad player. Like, really super bad at playing. I usually don't tell him when I do play, or I just sneak it on my lower bunk. Unfortunately, our dorms are very small. We have a bunk bed, a t.v., and a kitchenette. When you walk in on one side there's a closet. There is enough room for a mouse left to live in this room with us.

And not one that lives in a cage. If we were to keep any animal in here, it would be a spider in a jar. Between all our junk and how tiny the room is, there is not much space to live in, even for a mouse. But it's fine. I know some rooms can be dingier. I've seen some that are terrible. Those were from colleges I did not go to. I am living in the dorm for free right now, thanks to my rich roommate. Otherwise, it's so much money. Even for a small room. Sometimes, this is just the way it is. College is already costing me so much money. Being a leach to this guy is fine by me. But he is an athlete and leaves his stuff everywhere. That's a nuisance to me, and my only complaint about living with him.

Overall, sowing seeds in this big room isn't bad. Sometimes it feels terrible. I might never like to plant things or sow seeds. But one day, I won't have to ever again. One day very soon, I will get my degree, graduate, and be able to never sow seeds again. I can't wait for that to happen. Until then, here I am, stuck sowing until I am done with this big old bag of seeds.

March 30, 2022 16:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.