1 comment

Fantasy

It was one in the morning and a big noise woke me up, with fear, I got up from my bed and with fear, I walked slowly to my door,  a huge crashing sound downstairs kept me wondering if I really wanted to check "if I had a cat this would not be a problem" I thought. I step out of my room cautiously, looking everywhere and turning every single light I could find.  I tiptoe downstairs, watching my steps. The kitchen was in total darkness, a dish crashed in front of me, almost hitting me. I squeaked. The hazy pale thing did not bother looking at me.

I was scared and confused, watching the entity dancing around, opening and closing cabinets like a mad man, throwing things to the floor. My soul was frozen when I heard him say, "where the hell is the tea in his house". He was really upset, as he was looking at all the places. "Jimmy, come here and help to look for it" then I was confused, I hated when people called me Jimmy and only one person was allowed to call me by that name. But that was impossible, he was dead. A tear ran on my cheek but before I could say anything else he exclaimed “I really need my tea, I’m dying for one” I did not know if this was a joke, but then my tongue reacted.

“Sorry Lester, I don’t drink tea, only coffee” my voice cracked, weak. 

“Coffee? What am I, a white-collar worker?” his voice sounded disappointed.

“I didn’t mean to offend you” I was still impressed by the fact that he was still there, floating on my kitchen. “Lester, do you know that you are…”

“Dead?” he smiled “of course I know, I haven’t felt this alive since I was born” he laughed “not true, but to be honest, it is better than being connected to an artificial machine” he approached me slowly.

“So” I backed up a little “you came here just for a cup of tea?” I mumbled.

His clothes were flying with the invisible ghostly air, he went to the table and kind of sat down.  “Well, that is a good question, yes I want a cup of tea, I haven’t had one in eons, and also I kind off lonely out there, so why not to spook my best friend” he laughed, his particular laugh that was contagious in some way, went thru me and I laughed too. Tears of joy sliding over my face turned into one of sadness. 

“I really missed you Lester” I tried to say, but my voice was hurt by the crying.

“I miss you too Jimmy, but let’s not be sentimental right now, and how about you go and get me some tea some we can catch up” without any further words I went for my coat, my wallet and walked the fast I could to the superstore. My mind was still wrapping the idea of Lester being there, probably I was dreaming, so I punched my arm to verify if this was real. The pain numbed my left arm “well this is pretty much real” I said in a quite painful voice while I rubbed my arm. 

Lester was my best friend since high school, he was the extrovert guy, always socializing, making jokes, me on the other hand, I was reserved to myself, he used to drag me to all the parties and events, so I could make more friends. We went together to the same University, I dedicated my life to cinematography, playing with colors, angles. He was more into programming, he loved computers, once in a while in our breaks we saw each other to catch up, I was always drinking a latte and he would always get a different tea. After university, we went on different paths, I barely saw him until that day.

It was the start of autumn, and I hadn't seen Lester in a while, a phone call froze me,   he was struck by a car. I went immediately to the hospital to see him, and he was there connected to an artificial machine keeping him alive. I couldn’t help it, I was devastated. After three months of talking with his family and friends, we all decided that disconnecting him would be the best option. He was not living the life he dreamt of.

And then I was in a superstore getting some tea for my deceased friend. I wasn’t sure how it was possible. “Black magic? Voodoo?”  my mind was spinning like a spin top. I walked through the aisles of the store looking, searching for tea. There it was, earl gray with chamomile; pretty weird blend if you asked me. 

On my way home I was wondering what should I say “sorry for unplugging you?” no he already said it was better being death than artificially alive. I was already at the front door of my house. I unlocked the door, walked into my living room “Lester are you here?” to be honest I was expecting no answer.

“Up here, I was looking around your house while you were gone, if you don’t mind” he slid on the stair to reach me.

“Not at all old friend, tea?” I smiled.

“Finally! Of course, which one you get me” he sounded very excited for a dead man.

“You know, the earl grey with chamomile”

“They still sell that weird one. Oh, gods, this is heaven” Did he just say, gods? Well, that's a great topic to start with. I went to the kitchen, boiled some water, grabbed some mugs and put the tea in them. Once the tea was ready I served it in both containers. I went to the living room and sat down with my friend and gave him his tea.

“One tea for you and one for me”

“You? Drinking tea?” he sounded surprised

“You know, there is always a first time for everything. Cheers for friendships that transcend lifetimes” I said with joy

“Cheers for that Jimmy” somehow he managed to grab the mug and drank the tea. It was awesome.

“Wow, this tea is actually pretty tasty. Why didn't I try it before?”

“Because you were blinded by the flavor of coffee, but now you are surrendering yourself to the pleasures of tea” We laughed hard. It was just like the old days. But I was sad to know that eventually, he will have to leave forever.

“So are you leaving after that or you have some dues so you can rest in peace?” he put down his beverage and looked at me like looking into my soul.

“I just wanted to visit you. The afterlife is different from what people tell you, there are multiple gods from all religions, it is like an amusement park. You choose your ride depending on how you lived” he took another sip of his tea. “And we are allowed to visit friends if something is pending in our lives.”

“Wow, that is amazing! But what do you have pending with me besides having a proper goodbye” tears were starting to fall. 

“A lot of things my friend, it is not only goodbye, but I also need to catch up on what have you been into, Wife? Husband? Starting a family?” I laughed 

“You know I’m really bad talking with people. So I barely met someone”

“Well I’m glad I’m here so I can help you, but my time for today is finished, that doesn’t mean I will not come back, on the other hand, I will visit more often, but will need to get more tea for our future talks” and before I could answer back he smiled and fade away.

So every Friday night I will wait with two cups of tea, and he will come, we will talk about my life and his afterlife, he will meet my partner, my kids, and when I’m old, he will wait for me in the amusement park of the afterlife.



March 12, 2020 20:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

R Dimacali
00:28 Mar 16, 2020

I enjoyed this story, a few grammar errors here and there but it’s heartwarming if you asked me!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.