Contest #176 winner 🏆

102 comments

Fantasy

As a child, I would hide in the coat closet, taking advantage of the door that wouldn’t close, as I watched my mother command the items around the house to do her bidding with the smallest gesture. The moment she heard a sound, the items would set themselves down as if they hadn’t been acting of their own accord just moments earlier. My father would come home and rant and rave about more and more witches being discovered in town. My mother would nod her head politely in agreement, but I knew her secret. 

Whenever the ladies in town would enviously gossip about how my mother managed to get so much done in a day, I would smile knowingly to myself. I knew better than to boast that my mother was a witch, for some reason, being a witch was a bad thing. 

When I was twelve, I could make my room clean itself. I was always careful to hide this, of course. The moment I heard the creak of the floor, or the door swing open, everything went to looking perfectly normal, perfectly un-magical. This went on for a few months, and I remained aware of every sound in the house. I even heard the cat padding by outside one day and quickly dropped the broom I had been controlling with my mind. I didn’t hear my mother’s footsteps one day though, and I can still hear the gasp of horror when she swung my bedroom door open. I can remember the look of terror on her face as it dawned on her that even being married to the pastor of the local church didn’t protect her from a cursed daughter. 

The memories blur together after that point. I remember my father didn’t come home after a hunting trip. My mother told me it was a bear, I knew better. We moved shortly afterward, the tone of gossip shifting from envy to suspicion. The new town was smaller, it would mind its own business as long as you mind yours. We settled in a small two-bedroom house for six months before we moved again. The worry lines on my mother’s face seemed to grow deeper with each late-night knock at the door. One rule was made clear to me, I was not to use my magic under any circumstances. 

One house after the other, one town after the other, we never stayed in one place for too long. On my eighteenth birthday, my mother sat me down. She looked older than she was. I couldn’t remember the last time I had seen her face at peace. She explained to me what we were. She viewed it as a curse, I was never sure why. She explained why we couldn’t practice and what the world thought of us. She explained how she’d gotten too comfortable, and how it wouldn’t happen again; how I couldn’t let it happen to me. 

I stayed with my mother for a few years after that. We finally found a small cottage on the edge of a town that didn’t ask too many questions. It welcomed us as a widow and her grown daughter, which, I suppose we were. I got a little too comfortable once we’d been there for a year. I would go down to the creek and make little whirlpools in the deeper areas of water. Sometimes I would pull pretty rocks up from deep below the almost dry creek bed, even though I knew better. Something about that creek made it impossible to stay away.

I was always careful not to be seen, I would go before the roosters would crow in town, far before anyone would be down by the creek. On my regular walk home after a few months of doing this, I heard little footsteps crunching through the leaves. I could tell the little footsteps were running, and I knew then that we were damned. By the time I got back to the edge of the town where our little cottage sat, there was a group of people with torches and pitchforks surrounding the house. I never imagined I would see a mob quite like this one. It felt almost fake, like a scene from a storybook. As the thatch roof of our house went up in flames, I could hear my mother’s voice, telling me that I should’ve known better.

Part of me wanted to turn and run, but I was still unseen behind an old oak tree. I wanted answers, something I knew I was never going to get. I cursed myself as my mother’s words played over and over in my head. We weren’t supposed to be found. Still, it was done. I knew nothing could be done for my mother. Even I, the one who killed us both, would at the very least be damned to a half-life of running. So, thinking quickly, I chose to do the only thing I knew would solve my problem.

The thing about angry mobs is that they’re incredibly unobservant. They have very little forethought. If they had, they wouldn’t have decided to burn a witch in late fall, during the worst drought the town had seen in twenty years. All it took was the snap of a finger to make an ember fall just right on the overgrown, dry grass that we called our yard. The entire perimeter of our property was engulfed, enclosing the angry group of people along with our house. Another snap and embers landed on roofs in town, causing the fire to spread hungrily from rooftop to rooftop. I stayed and watched, ensuring the only living things spared were the innocent animals. Even children were dangerous and I knew better than to leave my work unfinished. 

I don’t know at what point after the fire I decided this, but something in the ashes told me I could never leave.

I walk the worn path back from the creek to where I rebuilt the cottage my mother died in. The stone remains of the rest of the town are overgrown now with moss and vines. The descendants of the animals I saved in the fire eat happily at their troughs. People don’t bother me here. They hear stories about the witch that razed a town, and they know better.

December 16, 2022 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

102 comments

Vania Mason
01:01 Jan 15, 2023

"People don’t bother me here. They hear stories about the witch that razed a town, and they know better." Loved this part.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Calvin Kirby
17:33 Apr 21, 2023

Kylah, I really enjoyed reading your story. I felt I was hiding in the closet with the little girl, watching magic happen. I belong to a seniors literary shorts group and would like to present this story to them on May 1st. Please contact me so I can get some bio information and thoughts about your process on developing the story. Many of your fellow Reedsy authors have had their stories presented to our group. My email is ckirby59@comcast.net. would really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you, Cal Kirby

Reply

Show 0 replies
Steve Uppendahl
05:14 Jan 13, 2023

Outstanding job! Very creative and well-told story. I love the choice of writing this in first person. The title is excellent. Great job with your final line, as well. For me, I would've liked to have seen some dialogue. Even though the tone of the story works well without dialogue (I've done it myself), I'm just a sucker for dialogue. But, again, excellent job! Congrats on the win. Write on!

Reply

Kylah Adams
01:41 Jan 18, 2023

Keep an eye out! My next submission is pretty dialogue-heavy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
03:20 Dec 28, 2022

Hi Kyla! Welcome to the community! This was a stunning piece full of beautiful word choice. It was a wonderful take on the prompt. It was giving me “Where the Crawdads Sing” vibes. I was sad for this MC who was forced to grow up very quickly. I can’t imagine the burden of beating such a secret for so long. I thought this was my favorite line because of what’s not being said: My mother told me it was a bear, I knew better. Nice job and congrats again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
06:22 Dec 24, 2022

Congrats on the win. Sometimes paring it right back works. The MC's aloofness, coldness, due to the exclusion she's experienced all her life, rips through this story like an ice fire. A strong entrance to Reedsy, well done.

Reply

Kylah Adams
16:10 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you so much, before submitting, I had a writer friend critique her voice, saying it sounded too emotionless. I'm so glad I chose to stick with it, I feel like it made the story more impactful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
16:34 Dec 23, 2022

Clapping. Congratulations

Reply

Kylah Adams
15:47 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Miner
14:19 Apr 28, 2023

beautiful

Reply

Show 0 replies
Calvin Kirby
17:33 Apr 21, 2023

Kylah, I really enjoyed reading your story. I felt I was hiding in the closet with the little girl, watching magic happen. I belong to a seniors literary shorts group and would like to present this story to them on May 1st. Please contact me so I can get some bio information and thoughts about your process on developing the story. Many of your fellow Reedsy authors have had their stories presented to our group. My email is ckirby59@comcast.net. would really appreciate hearing from you. Thank you, Cal Kirby

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Duncan
14:17 Apr 18, 2023

WOW!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Parker
12:46 Mar 29, 2023

This was a great read!! Great job, they picked a good one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lexi Bradshaw
14:10 Mar 15, 2023

veryyy goad

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelly Sibley
07:26 Feb 23, 2023

I really enjoyed reading your piece. It showed the taint of persecution so beautifully. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:05 Feb 20, 2023

Congratulations Kylah Adams. What an interesting story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emily Mora
20:38 Feb 10, 2023

I like the story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Benjamin Carroll
02:22 Feb 07, 2023

Very well done. I really enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Drake
20:46 Feb 03, 2023

This was very interesting to read. Liked how events and the protagonist "unfolded" and discovered things as it went on. Thanks for posting this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roger Scypion
00:58 Feb 03, 2023

Great story. Kudos to it and your win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thoma Herting
06:35 Feb 01, 2023

Your story is beautiful. Yes I love the movie “Where The Crawdads Sing” I also love your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cyndel Russ
13:15 Jan 26, 2023

This book is amazing I wish the young witch wold not of grown cold and found a way to live happily but that’s not how the work works I understand. The story is great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rosemary Kash
17:10 Jan 18, 2023

This story captured my interest from start to finish! I wish there was more.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.