8 comments

Asian American Coming of Age Fiction

October 13

I had just dropped out of Smuthinsion Qwaery Alma Master's School, aka a smart school full of Asians. It's not that I'm not Asian, it's that... I somewhat forged an identification of my gifted teacher back in fifth grade in a message saying that I was gifted. Which was all sorts of wrong! So when I arrived at S.Q.A.M.S and recognized it's crammed with Asian's I was concerned, and awkward when I realized I was the entirely only one who couldn't speak another language except for English. Everyone was talking inΒ Chinese, Hindi,Β Russian, Indonesian, Bengali, and Japanese, with English in the weave. And even MORE uncomfortable knowing that the faculty at my original school put me there because I was Asian. So I had been there for a while, dreading to go back there this August. I dropped out last month, but packed up my suitcases and left today. I only have twenty bucks on me and tired, hollow eyes, trying to close slowly. A waitress with a purple beanie and a brown apron came up to me.

β€œCan I make you anything?” she asked.

β€œWhat’s your special?” I responded a little mean.

She forced on that face that waiters turned on when they tell menus, β€œWe have a beautiful deluxe marshmallow vanilla lavender mocha with pumpkin spice available. We also have typical cocoa with scrabble candy pieces, and if you sum out what the scrabble pieces are trying to express, you get a free autographed scrabble set from Alec Baldwin! Then we have-”

β€œWhy Alec Baldwin?” I cut off.

β€œIn December two thousand eleven, he was excluded from an American Airlines’ departure because he would not quit playing the game! He loves scrabble! And signed a collection!”

β€œI’ll have the scrabble.”

β€œComing right up- what’s your name?”

β€œApple.”

β€œWould you appreciate a frozen apple with that? We have selected them, they're amazing and they're from Talias Garden near-”

β€œI’m good.” She bowed, then drifted off through a pair of white iron doors. I sat there wanting to just storm into the kitchen and eat whatever scones and pies they were cooking up. I slumped in my seat and played with my mood bracelet that didn't work. It was crimson, which meant happy. I was daffodil, which meant sad. I studied the banners pinned up threw out the shop.

'Christmas in July! Bring your friends and family and earn a gigantic turkey!'

β€˜Summer Farsons performing live at 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM!'

'New autumn drinks!'

I waited for about ten minutes before the girl burst through the door. She now had a name tag on. It read: Freddie. She set my mug in front of me.

"Alright, I'm going to set an alarm to see if you can figure out," Freddie declared, "Whenever you're ready."

I drew my lips into a tense knot. I nodded.

BEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Ok

eolot ot g kabc lchs

What the heck does that say? 'Ot' is to. 'kabc' is back. To back? Back to? Back to School?

"Back to School!" Freddie shook her head.

"Fifteen Seconds."

What's 'g' 'et'.

"Get back to school?"

"Seriously." Freddie threw the timer onto the table and leaned in.

"I know you dropped out. My mom is friends with your mom. My step-sister goes to your school. Said she saw you leave." I slumped down.

"How d'you even know it was me?" I grumbled.

She pointed at the suitcases. A paper that said 'Drop Out Form' was peeking out.

"So I don't get the scrabble kit?" She walked towards the counter and reached behind it and handed it to me.

"I keep my promises. Go back to that school. It was doing you good."

"I forged a signature to get there. I barely understand what they teach and when I do I get a C." Freddie shook her head like she would not believe it.

"I don't care, you'll be smarter than most kids."

"Most Asian kids."

"Good lord, January had the same problem."

"January's your sister right?"

She nodded, "Yep, she didn't like that there were so many Asians. She told me her old school staff was racist. But I told her it was probably because they wanted her to be more comfortable. Go back. Just get a tutor from whatsitcalled Poppy Emsworth Tutors? Yeah, there so you'll be fine and hey, tell your mom you met Freddie. She knows I'm a smart girl." I laughed and looked at the scrabble set.

"Before you go back here's my wishlist. Become friends with my step-sister, get a tutor, get at least one. And by December, and tell your mom you were going to drop out."

I looked at her astonished. Tell my mom! Might as well shove me in a dumpster and call me dead! But she nodded seriously. I grabbed my suitcases and the scrabble set.

She handed me my drink. Freddie smiled before turning towards the door.

"Hi welcome to Yasmine's! What can I get you to drink or eat?"




December 18th

January and I were pacing back and forth in the hallway. We were supposed to be at home for X-mas Break but I needed to see my last test.

"C'mon it isn't happening Apple! Let's wait like everyone else until we come back." January said.

I sighed, "Your right we need to get home," My spirits raised when I looked through Dr. Qwing's window but he wasn't getting up or on his computer with his grading face on. I sagged. January and I walked away.

"It's ok," January assured me.

I frowned, but we passed by Yasmine's and Freddie's red hair looked frosted like ice cream. She waved. We ran all the way home and panted when we went inside. Mom was smiling.

"There are my two school superstars!" She smiled.

"Mom, this looks amazing!" I cheered.

The table was full of amazing food, small pink shrimp and rice, steak and teriyaki sauce, sushi with avocado, mushroom soup, and so much more!

"Well, we will not eat it all! I invited Freddie, Your mom and dad, Grandma Shiloh, and Dad's coming back from Maine! It'll be a fiesta!" Mom cheered. She went back to the stove and started simmering something that smelled like heaven.

I rushed January up the stairs. I almost fainted! There was an enormous tent with white cloth lining it. LED lights were strung on the outside. We both went in and pillows everywhere. We grabbed two blankets stacked in the corner.

"What's that?" January pointed. I followed her finger towards a box. My scrabble box. I smiled.

"That's mine. Wanna scrabble?"

Her face lit up.

"'Tis the season." She agreed.

With that, I poured out all the squares that made my life a lot better.

October 16, 2020 20:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Avery G.
00:31 Oct 31, 2020

Great story! It was really good! I loved it! I also really like your writing style. Please keep writing! Amazing job!

Reply

Show 1 reply
22:57 Oct 23, 2020

Great story! I absolutely adored it! Welcome to reedsy collective almond! It is a truly wonderful place for writers to enhance their skills. And I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I also have a story called Scrabble lol. :)

Reply

14:13 Oct 26, 2020

Yeah :D, and in your bio, you mentioned using Canva to create book covers. My friend is writing a book and she is struggling with designing a book cover...so is Canva easy to use for creating a book cover; I can let my friend know if it is. Thank you so much :D (I want to know the backstory of your pen name if you wish to tell it lol)

Reply

Yes, Canva does work. I literally just typed in "create a book cover" and Canva popped up. I believe you have to give credit in the Reedsy editor app but otherwise, it's public domain! And the story behind my pen name is not all that interesting but whatever. Basically, I've been collecting billions of things since I was a kid. Zodiac sign necklaces, stamps, tea bags, rocks, lost keyboard pieces. So I found an almond one day and a saw a billboard that said Collective Enterprise. So I was like, "Collective Almond." So yeahhhhhh. (I'll also p...

Reply

19:56 Oct 30, 2020

Oh yeah, Canva is great! But I prefer PostedMyWall :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I've checked this about six times so if there are any grammar mistakes please know I tr ied you don't have to vote for because of that bye! -Collective Almond

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.