0 comments

Fiction

Are you there, God It's me Allie. I need your help. I know I have no right to ask for your help, but I'm desperate. I don't know who else to turn to.

My life hasn't been going the way I want it to go, and it seems no one understands or cares. This all started when the love of my life Ryan left.

Ryan, the only man I ever loved didn't leave me, he's in the military. Ryan left on deployment for six months to a year with the Army. I miss him so much.

This isn't the first time Ryan left on deployment with the Army and every time he came home to me.

I don't why. I can't explain it, but I feel something is terribly wrong. I feel it deep in my heart that Ryan isn't going to make it home to me.

I have to believe he's going to make it home. I have to believe Ryan is good at his job, lately I've been hearing from my family and friends that I should let Ryan go.

You see I can't let him go. Ryan sacrifice so much for this country and he deserves a place to call home and to have someone waiting for him.

I believe in you and your power of love and hope, that's why I came to you for your help and guidance.

Please help me, guide me through this difficult journey, send me a sign that my love is alive.

Are you there, God? It's me Allie. Yesterday I came to you and asked you for your help and guidance and for a sign to let me know my love Ryan is alive.

Today I got a sign. I received a letter from Ryan. He's doing good. He misses me and he loves me.

But there is still that nagging feeling something is going to go horribly wrong.

I do know now you are watching Ryan and keeping him safe.

I need you to keep me safe too because I will need all the strength possible if I'm going to survive the next six months to a year.

Please send me another sign that my love is alive.

Are you there, God? It's me Allie. It's been weeks since we last talked and through the last few weeks, I've been keeping myself busy.

I've been volunteering my time with this organization that assist military families and sends care packages overseas to our guys and girls in uniform.

Being with other military families is helping me get through the pain of missing Ryan. I've seen other families just lie me and it's been eye opening listening to their stories.

Thank you for listening to me. Thank you for sending me to a group of women that are going through the same thing as I am and for sending me a great group of friends.

One more piece of good news. Ryan sent me another letter. He tells me, he's doing good, the weather is hot, he misses me so much, he loves me and this will be his letter to me for a while.

I'm not scared and I'm not going to panic because I know you will be watching over Ryan and protecting him.

Please continue to send me more signs that Ryan is alive even if it takes weeks even months.

Are there, God? It's me Allie. I have so many things to tell you. First, my days are spent with the women from the center, it's the organization that assists military families.

The center has been my refuge from my life, my family and friends. These ladies are the only people who understand me and what I'm going through.

I love going there. I love helping other families and I love talking to the women. They make me laugh with the crazy stories they tell.

We share stories about how we met the men we love and support. I told them the story of how I met Ryan.

I met Ryan when I was seven. Ryan and his family moved in to the house next door, at first, I didn't want anything to do with him. At seven I didn't like boys, but gradually Ryan wove his way into my life and he stayed there.

Ryan became my best friend, the one person in my life I turn to for anything, then Ryan became the love of my life, my heart, my soul mate.

I'm glad I can share this part of my life with women who have become good friends.

Second, I received another sign , Ryan's best friend Jacob called me. He told me Ryan is still alive and the reason why Ryan only sent letters and couldn't call me is because he's preparing for a very important mission.

Jacob also told me Ryan has a surprise for me for when he comes home. I try to get Jacob to tell me what the surprise is, he wouldn't budge.

I trust Jacob with everything and I trust Jacob to tell me the truth about Ryan.

Please continue to send me more signs that Ryan is alive and continue to protect him.

Are you there, God? It's me Allie. I received no new sign about Ryan and that's okay. Do you know why? Because I trust you now more than ever.

In other news, I got an unexpected visitor today. My mom came to visit me. I was surprised yet happy to see her.

We had a nice conversation. I explain to my mother how I couldn't leave Ryan. How much I love him and how Ryan is going to need me when he comes home.

My mother understood me. She apologized to me for not being there for me and for doubting me. I told my mother that I love her and I forgive her.

This was the first time me and my mother had a good conversation. I hope to have many more.

Please send me more signs that Ryan is still alive and thank you for bring me and my mother together again.

Are you there, God? It's me Allie. Oh my god! Today I got the best news possible. Ryan is alive and is coming home, that is one hell of a sign.

Jacob called me and told me Ryan is coming home, but he was injured. I felt a little sad, but I know Ryan, he's a fighter and so am I thanks to you.

I can't wait to see Ryan. Tomorrow I'll be the first one on the tarmac to greet our guys and girls.

Thank you for the signs and for bringing Ryan home. I'll speak to you tomorrow and tell you about the surprise.

Are you there, God? It's me Allie. I have the biggest smile possible. Ryan is home and you won't believe what the surprise was.

Ryan asked me to marry him.

The proposal was unexpected. I indeed was the first one to arrive, and then more families arrived after me. We waited an hour for the plane to touch down.

The plane arrived and landed safely. The doors to the plane opened. One by one the soldiers came out. Ryan was the last one out.

I ran to him hugged and kissed him. I started to cry, then I saw his injured arm. He told me it's okay, then he got down on one knee, he reached inside his pocket, took out a box and asked me to marry him in front of everyone.

I was shocked everyone was looking at me, of course I said yes. There were cheers and congratulations. Ryan put the ring on my finger. I couldn't stop smiling.

Ryan looked at me and asked me if I was okay. I told him everything is perfect.

Thank you God for everything, for listening to me when I needed you, for bringing Ryan home, for giving me hope and for giving me a love that is true and selfless.

February 10, 2022 22:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.