THE LAST TIME I SAW THE STARS

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: Write a story that begins and ends with someone looking up at the stars.... view prompt

4 comments

General

                                  THE LAST TIME I SAW THE STARS

Margaret, Alex’s girlfriend, she had just died a week ago. He and her mom were cleaning Margaret’s room together when he went by Margaret’s diary. He opened and read the last lines she had written:


“When I was a child, my father would tell me a story every night. I still remembered every story ended with dad telling me: “The stars will fulfil all your hopes?”. While he was telling me stories, I would lean on his shoulders, listened to the stories and gazed at the stars. My dad passed away ten years ago. The last time I looked up to the stars was when I prayed for my dad. He was lying on the hospital bed, his breath was becoming weaker and weaker and in a sudden, I didn’t hear him for 10 years. He had returned to God. 

This was my last years of high school. I had so many things to do in order to get a scholarships to go to colleges. School became such a busy, tiring and boring place for me during final year. The only thing I was excited about final year’s events, which was not so various, was the school’s prom. I had always dreamt of going to the prom. I had had a crush on Alex for months. I plucked up all courage to ask him to go to the prom with me. I wear my best school’s outfit that day to impress him and to my surprise, he agreed. In thousands of beautiful girls asking him to go the prom with, he agreed to go with me! I was overjoyed. I spent that whole week to go to the shops after shops to choose the best prom dress. My final decision was a long, pure light pink dress. I paired it with a pairs of white shoes and long, white socks.

Today was Saturday and it was prom day, I was so excited. I had spent all morning chatting trivial things with Alex. Even when he turned off and went to do his jobs, I kept looking at his photos on the phone. In the afternoon, I made up carefully, wore the dress, the socks, the shoes I bought last week and went to the prom. On my arrival, Alex was waiting for me at the entrance, he looked so handsome in his classical tuxedo and his smile lit up my heart. As I came close to him, he held my hands gently, and lead me to the prom hall. I still remembered how sweet his voice was, it almost melted my heart. When the music turned on, he placed his hands on my waist and we danced together. His eyes was beautiful, mesmerizing, crystal blue like the sea water. I gazed at his eyes like the way I gazed at the stars on the nights that dad would tell me stories. The prom was so great. When it ended, he took me home in his car. As we arrived at the gate, he slowly pushed me to the gate, placed his hands on my waist, closed his eyes, and his lips were on my lips. We kissed the French kiss. It was sweet and exciting, I felt a fire in me, a fire of desire, a desire to have him as mine so much. When I went to my bed, I could not stop thinking about him, even in my dreams, I wanted to sleep in his arms, his chest, I wanted his skin on mine and mine on him. The next morning, when I arrived at school, Alex had waited for me at the gate. We had breakfast together and had some trivial talks too. When school ends, he asked me to have a dinner with me. The cafe where we had a dinner was a lovely one, its cake and drink was delicious and enjoyable. All of a sudden, he slowly swept away the plates and the glass between us, approached me and kissed me, it was sweet and gentle just like last night. I couldn’t conceal the excitement when he asked me to be his girlfriend. On Sunday morning, we hung out together, went eating together until the sun set. The light of the sun was orange at late afternoon, he was sitting by my side and singing to me. He drove me home and and stayed with me that night as my Mom was on her holidays with peers and I’m totally in charge of the house until next weekend. We got into the room, closed the windows, turned off the lights, he and I touched every inches of each other skin. I could feel the warm of his body spread all over mine. It was such a great night. However, the morning was terrible, I had a terrible headache. I already had it for months but it hadn’t been this bad until this morning. The whole day at school was exhausting because of the headache. I even didn’t talk with Alex to take a nap but it didn’t help relieve the pain. Later that afternoon, Alex took me to the hospital for a diagnosis. Upon receiving the results, I was disappointed to know that I had a tumor in my brain. To make it worse, I would only have six months left to live. I ran as fast as I could out of the hospital. The rain was heavily pouring outside, I was cold and trembled. My eyes, my body, was soaking wet with tears and rain. Alex appeared from behind, holding the umbrella over me. He drove me home and stayed with me. His body was still warm as I lied in his chest and arms and looked outside the windows. I saw the stars, it was little and shining. I just wished that I could enjoy the rest of my life as happy as possible with my mom, and Alex.

….

After this line, after gazing at the stars tonight with mom, with Alex, I might not wake up tomorrow, it has been six months already. Alex and mom has made the last days the best days of my life. I had no regret when I had to leave this world.

Goodbye mom

Goodbye Alex”


Alex could not utter a word while reading, Margaret left him so much feelings as his first lover. He knew he would have to move on but he would never forget Margaret, a small star that pass through his life.



May 01, 2020 15:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Synia Sidhe
18:36 May 08, 2020

What a lovely and sad tale. Some advice to help with your next submission. Break up really long paragraphs every time you start a new thought. It'll be easier to read and give your writing more impact.

Reply

Duong Duy Khang
14:18 May 09, 2020

Thank u a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
13:11 May 03, 2020

Incredible story; I felt sad for Margaret and at the same time happy? The way you describe everything goes with the story. Well done.

Reply

Duong Duy Khang
04:15 May 04, 2020

Thank you a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.