Beautiful Day for a Walk

Submitted into Contest #187 in response to: Start your story with a character being led somewhere by a stray cat.... view prompt

68 comments

Adventure Friendship Fiction

The air is filled with the scent of breezy laundry, freshly slaughtered grass, and propane-licked steak. My stomach rumbles, and I hear the happy shrieks of kids and the low roll of suburban traffic. I’d love to eat but I’m on a mission. I take another sniff – and there it is. The sweaty over-ripe fragrance of needless aggression.

The breeze keeps snatching at the faint scent, but it’s enough for me to follow. I run past the Mitchells, head out the cul-de-sac, and down Triton Avenue. I lose the trail where Triton hits Berry Road, thanks to cars with their pungent smokes and acrid oils – but there! Across the road, the flick of a mangy grey tail! For a second I lock eyes with that miserable stray, Missy, and then she darts into Ouroboros Place.

I surge after her. Cars honk, tires squeal, and plastic crumples against metal, but I don’t have time for any of that. When I hit Ouroboros I just see Missy disappear into the overgrown lawn of the old Rainer place, a crumbling house that’s stood abandoned for the better part of a year.

I flatten my ears and rocket after her. The paint-chipped door is open a crack and it nearly flies off its hinges when I torpedo it with my nose. And inside–

Ah crap. It’s a trap.

I skid to a halt on the scuffed linoleum and seven cats jump out of the shadows and surround me. Missy, Filthy, Scabs, One Eye, Loudmouth, Hey You, and Cougher; all the neighbourhood wretches gathered in one place. And there, lounging on the fireplace mantel, is Imperator himself.

“Well, well,” he says, his eyes half-lidded. His fluffy white tail flicks playfully, and he stinks to high hell of sour self-satisfaction. “What do we have here?”

“It’s a dog,” says Scabs.

Imperator scowls at him. “Yes, thank you. I can see that.”

“A dumb dog,” says Missy. “Name of Pugsly, right? Fell right for your plan.” She extends her claws and scritches the linoleum, and I feel a shiver run down my spine.

“As I knew he would,” Imperator says. The smugness is suffocating, a miasma of ego cascading down to us from the mantel. “Now, before we put an end to you, satisfy my curiosity. Why have you been stalking me?”

Wait, there’s something else beneath the pompous perfume. I sniff. A hint of fear? No, that can’t be right. It’s not me, but why would Imperator be afraid? I sniff again. Yes, definitely a tiny spike of panic and… bird!

I see now Imperator has a fledgling engulfed in his paw, casually petting it with the other.

“Unhand that bird!” I shout.

Imperator guffaws. “Never!”

“You’re a menace!”

“I am,” Imperator says, petting the trembling little bird so hard he nearly crushes it. “And it’s high time the world knew it. Is that why you’re here, Pugsly? To whine at me, about your petty moral dogma?”

“You can’t just run rampant, slaughtering all the little creatures in the neighbourhood! You’re a house cat, Imp!”

Imperator, thank you, and yes, I can. I am a house cat no longer. I am now a world cat!” The other cats meow their approval. “I tire of your whining. Any last words, Pugs?”

The other cats all turn their vicious gazes on me, and I hear the blood curdling shwing of their claws extending.

Then there’s something else – a muffled slam? Boots? I can’t quite place the noises, and suddenly Imperator’s street crew all hiss and scatter.

“What the devil?” says Imperator. “Hey, come back here at once!”

Suddenly the door flies open again, and a man barrels through. He’s wearing mint-green coveralls with a logo of a bright, smiling sun, which says, ‘Happy Farm Animal Control.’ He’s got a net for some reason that makes me vaguely queasy, and he smells of existential disappointment with his life, and like he’s been sitting in the sun too long.

Suddenly he grabs me, and next thing I know I’m in the net!

I yelp, and Imperator unhelpfully roars with laughter.

“Serves you right!” he says. Small mercy, the bird took its opportunity to slip away.

But then a woman bursts out of a side door and scoops Imperator into another net. I might have found his indignation amusing on any other day, but I have no idea what’s going on and I’m terrified. In a flurry of motion, the humans whisk us out of the abandoned house and into the back of a van with the same sunny logo. They hang our nets from hooks, slam the doors, and start driving.

“Pugs!” Imperator whimpers. “What’s happening?”

It’s dark in the back and we don’t have any windows. “I don’t know,” I say. I try to writhe out of the net but my feet are all tangled. At least I can still wag my tail, though I don’t particularly feel like it.

I sniff out a couple other animals with us. A kind of earthy/fishy thing… a snake? Then a kind of warm, doughy aroma, with a piny edge. An armadillo, I think. And sort of a lily-scented hotdog, which must be a porcupine, and then the fragrance of spoiled fruit, motor oil, fresh plastic, and joy – that’s got to be a raccoon. In fact, “Spoons? Is that you?”

“Ey!” comes Spoons the raccoon’s voice from the darkness. “Is that you, Pugsly? They got you too?”

“I guess so,” I say.

“Who is that?” Imperator says. “Who are you talking to? What’s happening?” He meows piteously, and I hear him thrashing about in his net.

“We’re in a van!” says Spoons.

“Yes, I know that,” says Imperator. “But where are we going?”

“I dunno. Some kind of farm, I think.”

“I’ve always wanted to live on a farm,” says a tiny voice I trace to the porcupine.

“Well I don’t!” says Imperator. “I’m a house cat! Not some barn mouser.”

Are we really going to a farm? The idea of open fields sounds nice, but… I don’t want to leave my home behind. I don’t want to leave my humans behind. They’ll be lost without me!

“Fools,” says a low voice, slithering with venom. It can only be the snake. “There is no farm. This is just a ruse.”

“A ruse?” I say. “What do you mean?”

“Human treachery – what else. They call themselves Happy Farm, but it’s just a trick to fool stupid beasts into complacency.”

“Well then, what are they going to do?”

“What else, dog? They plan to eat us.”

The porcupine squeals, Imperator argues, Spoons chitters nervously, and the armadillo snores. And I’m not ashamed to say, I let out a high pitched whine.

“That’s preposterous!” Imperator says. “How do you know that? Humans don’t eat cats!”

The snake chuckles cruelly. “I know, because I’ve been caught before. And humans eat anything they can fit in their mouths. You say you’re a house cat. Surely you must have taken note of the canned meat they have.”

“That’s tuna!”

The snake doesn’t respond right away, instead drawing the silence out. “Is it? Have you ever seen a tuna?”

“Oh dear!” Imperator gasps, and then everyone gets going again.

Then one of the humans bangs on the metal wall separating us from the cab, and we hear a muffled shout. And the rest of our dreadful ride is in silence. I don’t know how long it lasts but I do know I whimper most of the way through, and the air fills with the bitter odor of fear.

Eventually the van comes to a stop. I hear the crunch of boots outside and the back door is opened. The sudden sunlight is blinding and someone pulls me out by the net. As my eyes adjust to the brightness, I see a long, squat building bearing that same Happy Farm logo, nestled on a weed-choked gravel parking lot. The building is run down, with a rusty drainage pipe and peeling paint, and whatever else it might be, it’s clear this is no farm.

And then a most delightful aroma reaches my nose. Sizzling grease, sumptuous beef patties, breaded chicken nuggets, and even wretched potatoes made palatable by deep frying, and I can’t stop the saliva from dripping. Then I see a pair of yellow arches on an adjoining building. The universal human symbol for food.

Oh no – the snake was right!

I gasp, Imperator shrieks, and all of us make noise. All except the sleeping armadillo.

The humans jostle our nets and take us into the gloom of the squat building, and as we enter, I smell the air is rank with fear and dread. So this is it then. This is the place where they turn good animals into burgers and cans of tuna.

They place the armadillo – still sleeping – on a scale, and a human in a white coat examines it and jots something down on a clipboard. No doubt calculating how much meat they’ll get from us. Oh, this is terrible!

“Psst!” says the snake. “Dog. I demand your attention.” In the dull light of this sad building, I can see the snake is actually much bigger than I expected. It’s coiled in on itself numerous times, and its tongue flicks in my direction. And I think, if I saw this thing back home, well, I’d probably cross the street in a hurry.

“I need you to cause a diversion,” it says.

“A diversion? What? Why?”

“Because I am getting out of here, and you will assist me.”

“But I don’t know how.” Or if I should, to be honest.

“It’s simple, dog. Make those annoying howling noises your kind are so fond of and thrash about. Bite. If you are able, foam at the mouth.”

“Foam at the mouth?”

“Yes. Do it. Now.”

“I don’t–”

“–Now! Obey!” It flicks its tongue mesmerizingly.

I bark. I howl. I start thrashing about. The human holding my net struggles and grunts, and the others look our way. When another human steps up, making calming coos and holding its hand out soothingly, I snap at the fingers. I’m tangled in the net, but I manage to kick my hind leg and I connect with something soft that makes the human holding me yelp, and then I’m on the ground.

The other humans scramble, one of them trying to tackle me and getting just as tangled in the net as I am. I can’t quite get away, but I notice they set the other animals down too, and the snake has already slithered out of its net. But then I lose sight of the snake as someone grabs me by the scruff of my collar, and now I see the man in white approaching with a – gulp – needle.

I whine and try to look for any way out, but someone’s holding my head firm. I can only move my eyes around and I see that Imperator’s managed to get out of his net too.

“Help me, Imp!” I just manage to grunt.

Imperator!” he huffs. “And no.” He sticks his tongue out and then releases a stench of self-satisfaction.

“Please! They’re going to eat me!”

Imperator turns to go, looks at me again, and then vanishes from my sight. I whine again. Well, I suppose that’s what I get for pinning my hopes on a cat.

My claws clatter against the floor as I shiver uncontrollably. Three humans are now holding me, and the one in white crouches. He starts pawing at me with one latex hand, smoothing the fur away from my shoulder, while the other hand brings that needle ever closer. He coos and mumbles in the jolly-if-infantile language of humans, but his eyes are dead like a – well, like a cat’s.

He brings the needle closer. I feel the deathly cold of the metal touch my skin. This is it then; my destiny, a can of dog burger. I let out one final whimper.

But then I hear something. A metal crash, a bunch of barks and howls, the shrieking of birds. The humans hear it too. The man in white pulls the needle away and all of them look to an adjoining door – which suddenly bursts open as a mountain lion tears through it.

It’s quickly followed by no fewer than six stray dogs, a parrot, and – I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it myself – a chimp. The humans scramble to their feet, letting go of me. The man in white starts shouting things to the others and they begin chasing the loose animals, but they just keep coming. Cats pour out of the door, alongside rats, and even some bats. A human cowers when a wolf slinks by, and is then bowled over by a doe eager to stretch her legs.

Nobody even considers standing in the wolverine’s way.

And more and more beasts just keep coming. When a gator crawls out and snaps its maw, the humans flee. Thankfully, like all the others, it seems happy just to get out of this place and leaves me be.

I try to get out of my net but I’m tangled pretty badly. Then a cloud of misplaced self-superiority descends on me and I almost gag. I look up and see Imperator standing before me.

“There,” he says. With a flick of his wrist he switchblades my net. “Don’t say I never did anything for you.”

“You came back for me?”

Imperator rolls his eyes. “Don’t read too much into it, Pugs. I just figured it might get boring back home without you.”

We walk to the door of the Happy Farm building and look out over the unfamiliar gravel parking lot.

“Besides,” he says, “I don’t really know how to get home. Do you?”

I sniff at the air. Firs, a fishy creek, nearby fields with wildflowers – memories of country walks – “Yeah, I think I know where we are.”

“Good,” he says. He leaps onto my back. “In that case, yah dog! Home we go.”

“What are you doing? Get off.”

“I don’t want to get my feet dirty.”

“I thought you said you were a world cat now?”

“I meant worldly. That means I like rugs, which you remind me of.”

“Ouch. Fine, we’re even now.”

“Ha! Hardly.”

We’ve a long road ahead of us, but it’s a beautiful day for a walk.

March 01, 2023 00:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

68 comments

Michelle Oliver
10:30 Mar 01, 2023

I love the way that you have used the sense of smell to give us descriptions , just as a dog would. -Wait, there’s something else beneath the pompous perfume. -the air fills with the bitter odor of fear. -I smell the air is rank with fear and dread -I sniff out a couple other animals with us. A kind of earthy/fishy thing… a snake? Then a kind of warm, doughy aroma, with a piny edge. An armadillo, I think. And sort of a lily-scented hotdog, which must be a porcupine, and then the fragrance of spoiled fruit, motor oil, fresh plastic, and ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:47 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! Yeah, I thought scent should figure prominently in a dog POV, and it seems like a sense that often gets glossed over in writing. It's just so easy to fall back on sights and sounds - at least for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Pugs and Imp were fun to write about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:54 Mar 01, 2023

That ending was so darn sweet, Michał! Gosh this whole story, really fantastic. :) I cannot place where they might have all of those animals all at once as strays, though, and I'm pretty sure I don't wanna know... but glad the dog can place it, lol. Some faves! - The sweaty over-ripe fragrance of needless aggression. - LOL - petty moral dogma - you should be ashamed! Newspaper to nose! - I’m a house cat! - changed his tune pretty quickly... :) - his eyes are dead like a – well, like a cat’s - perfect dog metaphor! Loved this so much tha...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:53 Mar 01, 2023

"Newspaper to nose!" :) What a catastrophe :) Actually, I'm not sure the place they were taken to is super realistic. I was picturing a kind of central processing for a large animal control outfit, perhaps connected to a shelter or vet - down at the edge of town - but the assortment of critters is certainly wide. Many might be exotic pets that preferred to escape, which might explain it. In any case, it's almost certainly not the loading dock for McDonald's :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! I don't think I'll be able to get another one in this...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:57 Mar 01, 2023

I had difficulty, too, which is odd, because I am a fan of cats (dogs, too, of course - they will probably be next week, haha). I bet it's Florida... gotta be, right?! Oh, Florida, never change. :) "What a catastrophe :)" - SHAME!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
06:59 May 06, 2023

“freshly slaughtered grass, and propane-licked steak,” I can smell it already. Great description. I like that the snake is the sceptical type, like an animal ‘preper’. How come all of the animals can talk to each other though?

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:26 May 08, 2023

Mostly because I was in mind of a number of talking animal movies I had seen in my youth when I wrote this, but sometimes I like to imagine that the beasts of the world do share a secret language that we're not privy too. In a way, it's true. We've developed sophisticated verbal and written languages that allow us to convey complex ideas, but other animals, to my knowledge, have not. They depend more on universal things like warning noises, body language, the baring of fangs - and sometimes I wonder if our sense for all that gets blunted by...

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:49 May 08, 2023

It brings to mind Redwall and Zootropolis, that kind of thing. Have seen or read either?

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 May 08, 2023

I did start on Redwall a couple years back, but it didn't grab me. I think I missed it by a few decades, as it seems like the kind of thing I'd love to read as a kid. Haven't seen Zootropolis. One of my favourite talking-animals-living-adjacent-to-humans story is Watership Down, because they have a well developed world, and we get that culture clash with humans. It's also a fun, if sometimes harrowing, adventure.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:48 May 08, 2023

Harrowing is definitely a word I’d use to describe Watership Down. Did you ever see the Animals of Farthing Wood or Noah’s Island? Most of them are aimed at children so I agree about Redwall. I loved it when I was younger though.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:53 May 09, 2023

No, I've not heard of those. Some kids' media is very well put together though, with lots of staying power. I was pleasantly surprised by Avatar (last air bender) and people keep recommending Animorphs. And I'll admit, I do enjoy the occasional tropey YA :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nicole Farmer
03:48 Mar 11, 2023

Why did I envision Imperator as the cat from All Dogs Go to Heaven?? LOL I loved this soo much!!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:26 Mar 13, 2023

Thanks, Nicole! I was picturing a Persian myself - they seem to have that imperious scowl - but that's the beauty of written stories. The reader makes it their own. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
18:26 Mar 10, 2023

Funny thing—when I saw this prompt, I just knew you’d do it from a dog’s perspective! :p And well. Smell is the perfect vehicle for describing dogly detection. I (a cat person) once wrote a similar opener for a dog story inspired—for some reason—by a dream… It was easier to imagine being a dog, that way! It’s fun that “friendship” is one of the tags. Seems like Pugsly and Imp are really frenemies, learning to rely on one another… And the grand chaos at “Happy Farm Animal Control” is fantastic. It’s “Lady and the Tramp” x “Paulie”. Delightful!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Mar 10, 2023

Ha! How did you know? :) Frenemy is apt, yup. I don't know how things would have played out if they hadn't been picked up. But this is one of those stories that generated ripples - all sorts of other adventures and backstory. And I'm seeing the same pattern of bickering into trouble and allying to get out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ness Turner
21:22 Mar 08, 2023

Very cute story - felt very disney esque.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:38 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks, Ness! Yes, I reckon I must have been influenced by the talking-animal stories of my youth. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:33 Mar 08, 2023

Hey Michal, I was really glad that you decided to address this prompt! I know that you’ve done some really creative writing in the past along the theme of different points of view. I really enjoyed this piece and I found myself thinking about some of the bigger question is that it asked. Especially, because my sister is studying to become a vet. These are some really big topics that she takes a lot of time out of her day to think about and I think that you’ve done a really great job of honoring all perspectives. The story felt very fun while...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:58 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks, Amanda! That's some lovely feedback. Yes, I admit, I like perspectives :) I don't think vets get the recognition they deserve. So many different kinds of clients, all with their own unique needs - and then there's the language barrier. It's gotta be hard convincing a dog you mean well, inside a place that stinks of fear. Vets probably have a lot of stories :) Thanks for leaving your thoughts, and I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:09 Mar 07, 2023

Ouroboros!! "And Przy writes animal fables, too." Remarkable :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Mar 07, 2023

Thanks, Deidra :) Gotta keep reaching for those genres and styles :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tara Leigh Parks
15:37 Mar 07, 2023

Love this adventure. It starts off like Chinatown for pets...maybe someone is going to get his nose slit. Then they're whisked away and become an unlikely group of conspirators. Read through the comments about the location. I pictured a research facility while reading it. Then I also considered how much the black market brings wild animals into the day-to day and they get dumped on the streets. I used to know a guy who worked for NYPD animal control and he told a lot of stories about how many wild animals people trade in the city. It's reall...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Mar 07, 2023

Thanks, Tara! Yeah, it's probably not something most of us think about on a daily basis, but the commoditization of pets, and animals that don't work as pets at all, is a big thing. I'm reminded of events like the Taco Bell chihuahua inspiring lots of people to buy chihuahuas - only to dump them a couple years later when the novelty wore off. Repeat with any animal movie that comes out, ad infinitum. That's real interesting about the police perspective though. I didn't realize there was such a prominent black market. I'm glad you enjoyed...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:54 Mar 07, 2023

Immersive story with some descriptions and sense of smell. The animals had interesting characters which drew me in. Glad they got away at the end. Even the snake!

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:56 Mar 07, 2023

With strong descriptions and sense of smell. The sense of smell made it stand out from an animal’s point of view.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:45 Mar 07, 2023

Thanks, Helen! I'm picturing this poor snake is in and out of animal control. Probably quite dangerous, honestly, but I'm imagining a pet that someone got tired of and just released, so a bit sad too. Maybe there's another story in this. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jacob Weber
19:22 Mar 06, 2023

I know it's been mentioned a few times, but I really dig the use of smell as a narrative/descriptive device. It's interesting to think about how an animal with a much more sensitive nose might percieve the world differently.

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:40 Mar 07, 2023

Thanks, Jacob! Yeah, it was a fun challenge trying to dig into a less used sense (by me, anyway). But yes, very much interesting to explore other perspectives like this. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:09 Mar 06, 2023

this was hysterical. :) thanks for writing. :D -this is the place where they turn good animals into burgers and cans of tuna -my destiny, a can of dog burger lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Irene Duchess
03:09 Mar 06, 2023

this was hysterical. :) thanks for writing. :D -this is the place where they turn good animals into burgers and cans of tuna -my destiny, a can of dog burger lol

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks, Lilah! Definitely had some fun writing this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Irene Duchess
22:03 Mar 06, 2023

I just realized I somehow did the comment twice. oops.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
03:03 Mar 06, 2023

This is a wonderful story! I loved the way you used the dog's voice for a prompt week of cat lovers, and your use of imagery is impeccable and captivating. You really used the small details to make a big impact. Also, I would like to note that the phrase "freshly slaughtered grass" is so raw for no reason and I love it so much. Wonderful writing, great work!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:37 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks, Alexandra :) I like that phrase too. I actually had quite a bit of trouble coming up with something for the prompt, until the dog idea, so I'm glad it worked out. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
02:07 Mar 06, 2023

That is quite a menagerie! The food budget for that place must be astronomical. I see this as an analogy for the undocumented, of all nationalities being held captive in cages, for no other reason then who they are, when all they want to be free to be with the 'scent of breezy laundry, freshly slaughtered grass, and propane-licked steak.' Im happy the inmates were freed to take another shot at the golden ring.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Mar 06, 2023

Oh, that's an interesting take! I think we can probably dig more into it with pets too, since they tend to have owners. Leads to some interesting questions. Thanks for the feedback, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susana Sela
15:53 Mar 05, 2023

I love your story!! It is original and amusing

Reply

Michał Przywara
18:23 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Susana! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
04:48 Mar 05, 2023

Really interesting perspective and take, Michal! Enjoyed this read very much. I think what I liked about it most was how distinct each of the voices were. Imperator, the snake, our mc all sound like they should. Their voices feed back into their characters. Such a basic building block of good writing, but a feat that can be very difficult to accomplish; you've done so quite well. The whole animals-take-over-animal-control was also a really interesting - and quite funny - bit; it also works very well for Imperator's character development. ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
18:48 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Nathaniel! It's always good to hear when character voices work out, especially if there's more than just two of them. I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
03:20 Mar 05, 2023

What a wild ride (or maybe that should be "walk"). Animal POV is a dicey thing to get right - I know that now after last week's contest - and I think you did it a lot of justice. The voice and the observations were appropriate for the character, and there were a lot of clever word choices throughout (see: "dogma" in a story with a dog narrator; see also: "pawing" being used to describe one of the human's actions). Beyond that, it's just a fun story. I genuinely enjoyed my time reading this, and wouldn't have minded if this were novella leng...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:15 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Zack :) I had to throw at least "dogma" in there, but it took a lot of willpower to resist making it all cat and dog puns. That would have been catastrophic. The Old MacDonald link is a happy coincidence - keen eye! I wish I had thought of it :) Glad the voices worked out. It's always a bit of a gamble with a bigger cast in a shorter story. I think you're right, a novella might give this more room to breathe. Thanks for leaving your thoughts :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
19:31 Mar 04, 2023

I just saw "freshly slaughtered grass" and had to read this. So fun, from start to finish, and all the smell descriptions were perfect for the dog POV! Also, as always, love your dialogue. I don't know how you do it, all the voices are so distinct, so consistent and FUN. Two of my favourite bits here: "If you are able, foam at the mouth.” - love the snake. “I meant worldly. That means I like rugs, which you remind me of.” I guess that's a compliment 😂 I had the feeling Imp was from the same household when Pugs told him he was a houseca...

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:58 Mar 05, 2023

Love me some good dialogue :) Always happy to hear when it works out! The original idea actually had a lot more petburger, but I figured it'd be funnier if they only thought it would happen. Misconceptions seem to lead to fun characters. Thanks for dropping by and leaving your thoughts, Riel :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Penelope Conlon
08:45 Mar 04, 2023

Your characterisation of the animals is spot-on, and I couldn't stop reading right to the end. I enjoyed the fact that you told this "cat-people" story from the POV of a dog, well done (again).

Reply

Michał Przywara
19:21 Mar 04, 2023

Thanks, Penelope! It's always fun trying a non-human POV. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.