1 comment

LGBTQ+ Romance

I always hated that bakery across the street.I hated the name, "Sweet Honey's,". I hated the smell of the red velvet cake. My least favorite cake, yet that smell alone could change my mind. Not that that was a compliment to the owner. I hated the fact that as soon as she opened her bakery people would come to her before me. Maybe I was just being petty, but god she really ticked me off. Could she not see that there was a bakery already on that street and just carried onto the next street? Everyone says that her sweets are delicious. Sure she may bake everything by hand but so what? I bet her cookies are dry and that her coffee is just a bit too bitter. And sure maybe I would stare at her from across the street bicycling down the street. The curly hair of the girl who owned the place, man she was like a gift from the heavens. Her freckles that looked like a God painted each one carefully with time and patience. Just because she's beautiful doesn't mean that she is a good baker. We bump into each other a lot at markets but we never really acknowledge it. Not until recently. Our town holds this annual holiday festival where bakers at the edge of town to town square come together and partner up to make the best cake we can. I was determined to win this year. We were randomly partnered up. I got someone named Valerie, from a bakery whose name I could never forget. "Sweet Honey's" I look over and she's staring right at me, I guess she knew my bakery too. It was natural that since we were right across the street we turned to rivals but who would want to be rivals with such a perfect being? Her hair, flying with the small yet noticeable breeze. I smile at her and she touched my skin her hands were warm against my cheek. "I never got to see you up close, just across the street" She smiled warmly, "Nice to finally meet you, Andria," My face was heating up and I couldn't stop it. I knew she was beautiful, but I now realize that beautiful can't even describe her. Maybe a cake was something that could not only bring together ingredients but also people. "Hey, Andria I brought ingredients for a red velvet cake would that work?" I hate red velvet but how could I say no to her beautiful smile? "Sure," I say trying to match her energy. "Wonderful!" I told her that I really didn't know much about baking red velvet since I absolutely despise it, and she said that she would teach me. While we were cooking Valerie told me about how she opened her shop thinking that her bestseller would be her honey cakes but it turned out her red velvet cakes were so good that even regulars who told her that they hated cake would eat it in just 2 bites. Valerie was almost as sweet as honey itself. I don't think I had ever met someone who was so kind. We got so caught up in conversations that we didn't get to finish our cake. We walked home together and before we parted ways she gave me her number and a kiss on the cheek. Every time we went on a date she made sure everyone knew. "This is my amazing girlfriend, you know her right? She owns the bakery right over there," Maybe she just liked seeing me embarrassed, or maybe it was because she was proud that we were dating. Valerie was so kind to everyone sometimes it made me question if she was flirting with me when we first met or if she was just her normal self. She never really understood why I had such a hatred for red velvet cake but I decided to keep it a secret all I told her was that it was my dad's favorite cake. She looked at me all sad, "Do you not trust me?" Of course, I did I just didn't want her to pity me. "Fine," I sigh, I tell her about how when I was younger my dad loved red velvet cake more than anything even his own family. He met this woman on a business trip and they fell in love. When I realized that da wasn't coming home to his family it felt as though the only right thing to do was to cut off everything he loved. Valerie gave me the biggest hug, her hug was as comforting as a hot chocolate on a cold rainy day. "Andria, you shouldn't let your dad control your life, do what makes you happy," I haven't ever been talked to like an adult before I was always talked down to. My mom, dad, even my sisters. After a while, I was able to muster up the courage "One slice of red velvet cake please," I said to my girlfriend who was working at the counter. She seemed really surprised but decided that I was finally able to let go, She grabbed a plate with the best slice and gave it to me. "Dig in love," She said with her beautiful smile. I told her about before we knew each other and how the smell of her red velvet cake made me question if I really hated it. We laughed and it finally was time to try it. I took a bite and it was as if the emotions from my dad leaving had been able to soak into the cake. "Andria, are you okay?" Valerie was wiping tears that I didn't know were there. "Come here," She hugged me, In Valerie's arms, I felt safe. Like nothing could hurt me. "You know what, maybe red velvet cake really wasn't that bad," We giggled for a little bit. Maybe we were never rivals in the first place but just lovers who hadn't yet met.

December 08, 2020 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Georgia Bower
16:00 Dec 13, 2020

I love that final line! So good!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.