2 comments

Friendship Mystery Romance

You can guess it as my tiny memoir,craving the story after lapse of sixty long years.Life is a great teacher,it teaches you many phenomenls in lifetime ,here I would pick life also complete it phase or words before the departure to the next world.

Momy Jan,hailed from Afghan descent.we both were fast friends,right from school till college,were room mates, came to Karachi,joined Pakistan International Airlines as Air Attendants in 1960.

Pakistan International Airlines were ,in those days crossing it’s puberty age.I’m using the word “puberty”here because right from Managing Director till the lower staff,all were young and immetured in experience of Airlines. Pakistan hired Boeing’s from England,they took the responsibility to trained or streamline the crew.

In those days,Airlines services were very few in Asia,I think Japan and India had introduced it already,The air traveling was expensive and many people they were afraid of traveling in air .

So,Pakistan was also newly emerged country,despite of limited resources,they go ahead with the Airlines services,which was considered,in those days, as luxurious and expensive. Airline experienced many issues line by line.First issue gruelled in front of us,was uniform for the Hostesses.Momy Jan,threw an idea of “Shilwar Qameez"for hostesses,instead of skirt

.The idea liked by our Managing Director.”Green shirt and white Salwar ,with a cute girlish cap had it’s amazing impact.

To speed up the bussiness,every body knows,advertising is the back bone.Momy Jan,consented for the appearance in advertising for the Airlines.In Karachi,Lahore ,till Peshawar ,Bill boards were displayed,with the appearance of Momy Jan gesture with the slogan"Great people Fly with PIA".

Momy Jan,became a star Model,instead of her rising nature as an attended. There was always a sweet smile on her lips.

Karachi,in those days and till now,considered a business hub,the whole economy of the country ruled through this great city,rich businessmen,bureaucracy were eager to glimpse Momy.

Here I’m witness,in so many gatherings and Government official function ,she received standing ovation.This I never experienced before and till date.

All the important flights,carrying president were designited to her.

I still remember,First lady of America,Jackie Kennedy praised the hospitality of Pakistan International Airlines and she very boldly highlighted the glimpse of Momy Jan,now she was a world fame hostess.

In Karachi,in the beginning of the cricket test matches,they spread rumors that Momy Jan also coming to see the Cricket Test Match.Folks were also lovers of Cricket ,Television was not introduced yet,the only living entertainment in Pakistan was cricket and Films.

Once we both recon Alfenson street to have Juice.The Juice serving boy ,started fastly naming the famous juice brands and one of the famous juice brand they named”Momy Large Juice”.we were sipping the Momy Large Juice,in the meantime,Some body yelled “Momy Jan here” and in little time hundred of people gathered there,the shopkeeper begin with the photo session and next day our pics appeared on the newspapers.

Despite of her glamoroued life,she was very simple and straight forward as before.

Once in our projection Room,a short film of a plane crashed displayed.Nearly all the crew was present in the hall.The purpose of the film was to highlight the causes of ditching and to discuss it.When we came to room,Momy became overtly perturbed and said “Sheema,before our death we would informed each other and if not after the death we would informed each other.”I looked towards Momy and said”Don’t talk foolish,how it could be possible to informed each other like this”.We both laughed.

In September,1964,we headed to a popular lady palmist,Mrs Chestnut Hill.She was popular for taking glimpses on a Match box,her predictions caused hundred percent accurate,she got available only on appointment. She examined me very smoothly, enriched me with her advices but when she switched over to Momy,she became red and her eyes glued on Momy's face.Mrs Chestnut advice Momy to avoid traveling in April till June in the next fall,it was 1965.

After Mrs Chestnut advice ,I guess Momy became cautious.She prefer to stay in room,she limited her activities, I felt guilty to took her to Mrs Chestnut but she very cutely answered me that she also sought advice from her late mother through dream occurrings.

One night equalled in my room.Momy entered in with a handsome,wearing black suite,Ally Khan.I becomb cautious,men were not permitted in our hostel.Ally Khan , son of a textiles Mill’s ,wanted to marry Momy.Appeared highly westernized ,educated abroad.”Sheena ,Ally wants to marry me if I couldn’t marry her of any situation,you will marry him”.Proclaimed Momy".”Are you in senses,I have my own dreams”I unacceptably answered her words.Ally Khan also looked disturbed.”Don’t talk in this way,only you are my accepting”.Ally said it enthusiastically. Then we all ahead for dinner.I guess during dinner she repeatedly looking towards me and Ally.

I was also concerned about Momy and knew that dreams are and also many times, fade out untruth. Tried so many times to convince her but she always digress.

In few days I picked noticing she acted extrovert….Long drive with Ally,watching movies and staying out night with Ally ,becomb routine.Ally and Momy crop up a hot gossip of Karachi.Now ,I was avoiding them,I belonged to a lower middle class,the only person,earning living for the family very respectively and honourly.so many times I saw his brother argumentating with Momy.Her family hailed also conservative and arrogant,they were against these activities,so many times I heard his brother saying to marry Ally Khan in a respected style,but her answer appeared, wait until September.

Days sprang up overtly perturb and bored with this routine,so many times I asked her,not mingled with Ally Khan so much,it is dangerous,you belong to an Afghan family they would not spare you ,she only became speech less.

In April ,1965,our Airlines decided to send a Friendly Flight to Egypt and than to England.Every business man,bureau personalities trying to achieve the great achievement.Crew selection were made,Momy selected as one of the competent Air Attendants.20 May was scheduled as a flight departure day from Karachi Airport.

Since morning,passengers were filling the hall,great excitement were seen.Saw many passengers arguing with the Airline services personales .One businessman from Lahore,came very enthusiastically but his passport expired two days ago,he didn’t check it.He tore off his passport in front of the Airport authorities.

The flight took off and plane was heading smoothly towards it’s destination.

The Egyptian Airport runway was on it’s way of construction and was not properly levelled,Plane tyre bursted and caught fire.

Only Fifteen passengers out of Two hundred and fifteen monkeys survived.

Mr Janus Ali,one of the survivor, told Airlines officials,before the incident ,Momy Jan came and given me two letters,one for Miss Sheena and other carved for Ally Khan.Letter opened in front of our Managing Director ,found depicting me and Ally Khan to get married.

Now I’m wife of Mr Ally Khan with four siblings.Leading a happy life, we sometimes discuss about the last letter she wrote before death,,,,,,perplexing!.

The End.

No May Day.


July 22, 2021 10:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tariq Saeed
08:26 Jul 27, 2021

Thank you Laura and Reedsy for the approval of my story"No May Day".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
07:39 Jul 23, 2021

Some names been changed as a privy policy,the dates ,events are chosen according to the net research.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.