Look at her

Submitted into Contest #144 in response to: Write a story that centres around an Instagram post.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Funny Speculative

This story contains sensitive content

     CW: Profanity, mature themes, sexual innuendo.


Look at her. How can someone be so attractive yet so off-putting all at once? Everybody knows that’s not really her. And yet, why does everyone engage, validate even, this shallow persona? Is it for her benefit or for their own? How many of those likes are driven by lust and perversion? How many by jealousy? Of course I’m jealous. How could I not be? My efforts to strive for the upper echelons of this virtual Sodom and Gomorrah have been rained on with fire and ash. I’m left with nothing else but to strive for authenticity, a truly virtuous act. She is a stark reminder of my ineptitude. I want nothing else but to be close to her.

     I can only guess her motivations by the look of her. Why does one fight in a war, or march in a protest? It’s part of the culture. That’s all. It’s not her fault, she’s one of many. She does what we all do. But the look in her eyes suggests something else. It’s almost an invitation, a “bring it on” expression, that is anything but innocent. Excuse my cynicism, I’ve forgotten to leave my resentment at the door. Surely a picture cannot be so terrible? It’s a record of history, after all. It’s preservation. It showcases her beauty and influence. Is it not so very human to want to be or to seem good? Is it not desirable to have the respect and admiration, not just of one’s peers but of the whole world(that would include paedophiles and incels)? One must assume that she’s earned it.

    What is my “deal” you might ask? It’s simple. I’m not good enough at the game. I wish I could play it as well as her. I’m not being contentious when I say she truly is a natural. So there you have it. Just another bitter critic. How original. Like my orientation, my critique itself isn’t even original. How many other like-minded saps have tried to take the piss out of an Instagram post? My motivations laid bare, my arguments reduced to pathetic ramblings. Now would be the right time to quit. 

    If I could ask her a question I might say, “How much is this feeding your ego?” Or maybe, “What do you think your thirst trap says about you?” To me it seems more like an addiction than anything else. 

“Could you stop if you wanted to?” 

“Stop what?”

“I don’t know, shaming your father?”

    Her friends might call me foul names. They might even call me a misogynist. Which would no doubt mean that I am racist. Perhaps even trans-phobic. Who knows? Maybe they’re right. They would be mistaken however if they thought that I had ill intent. They are the ones who are enabling. I merely want the best for this young lady. Which would involve stripping her of title and rank. She’s come by it through dishonest means. Those tits are fake! Where’s my Vaseline? 

     Why do I follow her? Because she’s irresistible. Mayhaps she is provocative and yet that is part of her appeal. We all want to rub shoulders with the higher ups. We don’t like the bottoms. It’s terrible down there. They with the low follower count, some odd clips of incoherent toothless musings and incestuous gobbledy-gook. She’s much better than they are. Right? You know what I’m talking about. The class everyone looks down upon. People like her consider themselves especially superior to these folks. You know the type. The poor hygienist, subpar linguistic, asymmetrical, t-shirt with a bot generated logo brand of person.

     I know my assessment is probably cruel. However is it not the very nature of the platform to be cruel as well as class-based? We might not like to acknowledge these strata, since they are indeed a reflection of everyone, a reflection of inequality that isn’t easily abridged. These strata do exist however, and mayhaps they are at the very core of the issue. Okay then, what’s the issue?

     It’s people like her! And me. Probably you too. Instagram is a place where disparity flourishes. Inequality is no longer fuelled merely by social tilting and biological processes. The amount of social disparity one might have experienced in their lifetime pre-internet is potentially infinitesimal compared to today. That’s right, I’m blaming it all on the internet.

     Such a claim seems laughable. Slavery is abolished, people have civil rights who didn’t before, aristocracy is just a fancy word(unless you take into account the lizard people, the world controllers). Yet I am making the claim that our lives are full of strife. Well, hear me out. The amount of people one might’ve been exposed to in their lifetime pre-cat-videos, could by no means equal to the amount of people one might be exposed to now. There is a massive amplification of the competitive force precisely because there is a massive amplification of would-be competitors. So to lose is no longer to lose to the folks in your chicken-coop(or whatever pre-internet people lived in), but to lose to the entire world. A deadly revelation no doubt. 

     Look at her. This beautiful young lady is a winner. She is the epitome of success. She’s a virtual Goddess. She’s the source of my strife. She’s the reason I’m anxious about everything. And she’s the source of your strife as well. It’s because of people like her that our lives suck! Someone should do something. Not me, of course. But you, you should do something. How much more will you put up with? How much more can you take? How many Instagram models are going to reject you before you show your worthy comrade? They all spit on you. They all think they’re better than us. This time I’ll show them. I’ll get my revenge. Right, sorry. We’ll get our revenge! That’s it, take up your arms comrade! Now march down to Instagram and……wait…….stop! What are you doing comrade?! Don’t shoot me please! I only meant to –


May 05, 2022 19:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.