A witches brew

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Set your story in a Gothic manor house.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

Stevie Nicks Gold dust woman blared out of the stereo speakers.  This song had such a witchy vibe to it.  It was perfect to listen to while I concocted one of my brews.  Especially since my brew was to ease heartache.  I threw in the cinnamon stick, which created an amazing smell.  I stirred the brew, simmering away in my caldron.  I like to use my athame to stir, I felt it gave a magical sharpness to the brew.  The brew simmered away for five minutes and it was time to remove it from the fire.  I grabbed the cauldron and let it sit on my altar.  Once it cooled down,  I would perform the spell to give it that extra kick.

I needed to get ready to perform the spell.  However first I needed to rest.  I lay down on my hammock outside and feel the cool breeze.  It was a hot day and this breeze was just what I needed.  I closed my eyes and when I opened them I looked at clock on the outside wall.  I couldn’t believe I had been asleep for a good two hours.  I needed to go inside and take a cleansing bath.  The soak in my bath was so nice and I could feel myself being grounded.

I rid myself of the stresses of the day.  I forgot about my job as a teacher and how the class were causing problems for me today.  Which was rare as my students usually are so well behaved.  Maybe it was due to the fact holidays were coming up in a month. 

 My bathroom although modernised still reflected the style of my Gothic manner.  The black iron bath, dark walls and lighting was minimal.    I had bought my home ten years ago along with my boyfriend Brad.  He was an architect and we went from room to room creating magical spaces.  I tried not to think of Brad,  he died five years ago in a car accident.  Since then I had been alone other than my cat.  

The heartbreak healer potion was not for me,  I had concocted it for a young woman who had sent me a message begging me to help her.  In the last five months I received emails from strangers wanting one of my potions.  They knew someone who I had helped and was hoping I would help them.  The majority of my requests were love based.  They wanted to meet the one’.  Some were  having trouble within their relationship.  Of course I had a few who wanted me to give them a potion to have a specific person fall in love with them.  It was something I refused to do.

Climbing out of the bathroom, I felt myself get in touch with heartbreak.  The heartbreak I felt when I lost Brad.  It was that heartbreak that got me into potions.  I had been a witch since I was 18.  The whole Wiccan religion fascinated me.  For fifteen years I practiced the craft and it wasn’t until I got into potions that I found my niche.

I dressed in my pink gown,  it was medieval style and it made me feel a sense of peace.  I opened my book of shadows and flicked to the page of heartbreak potion and spell.  I like to keep my spells simple.  I believe if the intent is good then you didn’t need much else.

After the spell was performed.  I went into the kitchen.  I always had some fruit after a spell.  If I ate junk food I would feel sick for hours and sometimes days.  The apple was crisp and delicious and I felt a sense of completion.  

Looking at the grandfather clock in the hall, I noticed the young woman would be here soon.  I quickly changed and fed Katniss when the doorbell rang.  I opened it to see the young woman standing in front of me, eyes filled with hope and pain.  “Ah Maria,  come in,” I said. “I have your potion.”

Maria walked in.  “Are you sure it’s free?  Or is there something you want?” she asked.  

“Just for you to be happy.  I make enough money with my job.  I don’t need or want more.”

“Thank you,” she said just before I left the room to grab the potion.  

I came back into the room and handed her the potion.  She took it and smiled.  Even holding the potion I could see the pain in her eyes reduce.  “I love your house, perfect house for a witch,” she spoke.

“It’s perfect for me.”

Within minutes I bade her farewell and went to watch television.  I was so glad to rest and relax.  I loved my couch,  it was so deep and inviting perfect to veg out in front of the television.

I must have fallen asleep as the movie I had been watching was no longer on the television screen. A sound of creaking could be heard.  I had to fix that door again.  Then I wondered why I should.  I've fixed it five times already.  Maybe I should live with it.  I’d learnt to live with Marion, the spirit that roamed my home.  She had lived here when it was built,  her husband had it built over 100 years ago.  They planned a life together however he died three days after it was built.  She lived in the house and never remarried until she died of malnutrition.

Marion didn’t bother me, a couple of times she appeared in my bathroom mirror.  Of course I could hear creaking.   Mostly she left me alone. 

I got up off the couch and headed to the bedroom when I heard a voice call my name.  I looked around and no one was there.  I thought it might be Marion however the voice was male.  I moved toward my bedroom and I heard my name being called.  Again I looked around and no one was there.   “Time to move on and meet someone,” the voice whispered.  

I knew it was Brad.  “Brad,” I called out

Silence.  “Brad please answer me.”

Silence once more.  I then went to my bedroom.   I fell asleep that night I had a sweet dream of a man with gorgeous green eyes.  I awoke the next morning feeling it was time for me to move on.  It was Saturday and I wanted to go to the market.  I got up, got dressed, had breakfast fed Katniss and headed out the door.  

The market was busy,  it had the best produce and people traveled for miles to purchase it.  I walked through the crowd enjoying the smells and sounds.  My favourite stall was selling their clothes and I noticed this peacock coloured dress.  I walked over and picked it up.  I looked at it.  “That colour would look great on you,” a male voice told me.

Thinking it was the stall owner David, I turned around and instead of seeing David I saw the man I dreamt of last night.  “If you don’t buy it.  I’m going to have to buy it for you.”

I smiled and I knew the man standing in front of me was who I was to move on with.

October 18, 2020 05:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.