0 comments

Romance Coming of Age Friendship

I'm done with being shy, with having no friends, it's all gonna change this year in sophomore year. I don't know how to start a conversation or speak casually with a girl. I'm also just gonna stop being that nerd and quit trying so hard to get good grades, I'm done. Tomorrow's the first day back and because I changed high schools I can act as strange as I want to cause no one knows me. I went to sleep and woke up confident about how this day would go. I decided that I should first make some friends by just going up to someone and talking to them with all my strength because after all I spent my whole life as a shy kid and didn't have much experience conversing. I walk up to two guys my age and start talking about how amazing my summer was, even though it was mostly just playing video games, and I then asked how theirs went. The bell rang and we ended up having the same first period together. Their names were Scott and Flinn and they were twins, but Scott had short hair while Flinn had longer hair. I felt great that I finally stopped being shy for so long and could just start talking. It felt really weird talking nonstop, but I guess over the course of just one week I changed. Increasing my conversation skills by the day I finally had enough courage to start talking to the girls in my class and during lunch. I started talking to girls near my lunch table, but it didn't seem like it was a conversation because it felt as if I was the only one talking. I know I said to myself that I would stop being a nerd, but Scott and Flinn were band kids that both convinced me to join the marching band club instead of taking band class. I chose to play alto saxophone because it was the coolest and least nerdy out of all of the instruments. I really just forgot about talking to girls and focused on improving how I played. After I was introduced to the club we broke off into sections to work on the music. My group only had me and this one other girl named Addison who styled her in a way that wasn't all that pretty. After playing my sax nonstop for 30 minutes I couldn't physically cover the mouthpiece firmly. So we ended up just talking/resting for 30 minutes. In those 30 minutes, we talked about each others' summers and some stuff about improving as a saxophone player. Thirty more minutes went by and we then started talking about favorite movies, actors, actresses, music, and family. It had been an hour and it was time to go home now. As I drove home I thought that there was no way I was about to fall for some band girl, but it was really happening and every moment I was not with her she just kept popping up in my head. I couldn't seem to forget about her. I then began thinking about what would happen if we were to date: she was a freshman and not super attractive, but at the same time smart, and funny, and the fact that we had so much in common like religion, family issues, and movies I thought she was the nearly perfect girl. I couldn't wait for the next day because I would be able to talk to her again and just be in her presence which was what I needed. It was the next day after school and I started to see some improvement in my sound and ability to hit a wide range of notes. The next step for improvement was actually marching, as a group the whole marching band began walking in circles around the track in 80-degree weather. It was so hot my hand was sweating and kept slipping off of the keys as I played. As we were marching back to the band room I noticed that Addison took off her bobby pin that had made her look unattractive and showed her true hair. In the sun she looked perfect and like the ideal girl, the way her hair glared in the sun along with the sweat made her look so beautiful. Now that I realized how gorgeous she was, I could officially say that one day I'll ask her out on a date because she seemed like she was the one. Because I committed myself so much to not being such a nerd I got constant lectures of why my grades were falling and that I did nothing but play my alto sax and also hang out with friends. None of that mattered because I was happy with how my life had changed, I had friends and a bright future waiting for me with Addison. I went on through the second quarter of the school year alongside Addison playing at football games and in parades and I think she started to like me the same way I liked her, so I finally asked her if she wanted to go on a date. Surprisingly enough she said yes and I know I can only go uphill from now. It was the start of winter break and we went to go see a movie for our first date. We watched a romantic film, and like I watched in every movie, I slowly slid my hand toward hers and grabbed hers and she didn't pull back and we ended up holding hands till the end without any sense of awkwardness. As I went to drive her back to her house I walked her to the front doorstep of her house. She said she had had a great time and turned around I grabbed her hand and pulled her back for a kiss. As I mentioned nothing is gonna go downhill from here, it's all uphill. The next day she visited me and my family, everything went well and on the very next day, we ate dinner together. I am so glad that I was able to toughen up and stop being shy, it was a little hard in the beginning, but in the end, it was all worth it; I now have two really good friends and the most amazing girlfriend.

August 13, 2022 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.