Discovering His Real Station

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Make a train station an important part of your story.... view prompt

0 comments

Christian Fiction Fantasy

                          Discovering His Real Station                          

          The colder winter weather had arrived a few weeks early this November in South Amboy, New Jersey.

      Yet, Sam Barnegat had little problem tolerating the temperatures outside the town’s railroad station, since they only ranged a few degrees less than normal. The intolerable part came when he entered the city’s train depot.  He felt something had mysteriously transported him to the meat locker at the local butcher shop.

        The drastic change in temperature did not happen gradually.  It overtook him as soon as he opened the door to the building. His eyes watered, his hands felt like he had no blood circulating through them and his legs started trembling oncontrollably.

      This made no sense. The station had only come online three years before–preceded by an avalanche of media notices about its ultramodern furnishings and equipment.  The solar energy system supposedly would provide toasty warm radiant heat every day of the week during its 12 operating hours.

       Until this evening not one person had registered a complaint about the interior cold temperature of the building. In fact, some passengers had said the warmth was so overbearing that they often broke out in a sweat after being in the facility only a few minutes.

       Sam thought to himself,  No matter what some people said before, I am slowly freezing here. I hope this New York train gets here on time. I’m liable to catch pneumonia just from standing in this newly-updated modern miracle for 20 minutes.

      Irritation from the cold, however, came in second in priority to the disgusting odor that seemed to permeate every inch of the place.  In fact during the short time span Sam waited for his train several passengers became sick to their stomachs and fled the interior of the station for the fresh air of the platform.

       Just like the overwhelming climate inside the depot, the stench had not appeared until the evening of Sam’s trip. 

      As he and his fellow passengers tried to figure out the reasons for the recent unpleasantness in the building, a loud sound bellowed from the center of the floor, echoing outward to encompass every inch of the station.

      The floor opened up, knocking several passengers off their feet or from their benches onto the floor on the sides of the huge crater now encompassing much of the center space.

       A horrible and spine-chilling voice shouted from the crater, You earthly inhabitants have become too accustomed to so-called modern conveniences. You have grown much too lazy.  You should know that I, the master of the underworld, am now coming into my own time.  I will shortly control your world and subject you all to my power.

          The bone-chilling cold in the station then returned to the scorching heat that many passengers had reported several weeks before.

        Sam had no idea that his own recent business dealings had created the portal through which Satan hoped to take over the earth.  He had ignored most consumer protection and environmental laws by making and selling products that presented real dangers to his customers.  The violations, however, had been so incremental and well hidden that they remained unnoticed until the damage had reached the danger level.

         By skirting the law they had reaped enormous profits with very little effort.

         It looked, however, that the time of reckoning had come.

         Suddenly, a large rope emerged from the crater in the middle of the railroad building, looping around Sam in a strangle hold and sucking him into the depths of the hole.

          The fraudulent businessman felt himself falling further and further down and consumed by the increasing temperature of the unbearable heat.

         Satan then spoke again, This is my initiation process.  Once I have completely taken over your soul you will have the true power of evil as one of my underlings and you will experience my glory completely.

        The fall continued for what seemed like an hour before stopping as soon as it had started.

         Sam found himself seated at a large desk in an office-type setting.  Before him a book opened to a contract stating that he would become a soldier in the Satanic Army as soon as he signed over his soul to the Prince of Darkness.

         After the businessman had pondered his fate for what seemed like hours when only minutes had passed he suddenly heard a scuffle coming from the entrance to the crater.  As he looked up he saw Satan’s guards struggling with a female.  It closely resembled Carey, his wife.

        Somehow Carey broke loose from the guards and shouted to Sam, Darling, don’t let them fool you. The forces of good have sent me here in this apparition to stop you.  You do not have to sign that contract. We can work this out and redeem you. Don’t condemn yourself to burn in Hell and become a slave to the evil force.

          Satan replied, You really have a choice.  I can provide you with a share of the majesty of my kingdom.  Your wife is lying about punishment that you never will suffer.  I offer you only great reward.

           The crater then began to shake violently as another battle broke out at its entrance.  Angels clothed in glistening white robes armed with golden swords fought with the forces of evil and their flaming weapons.

           The war raged for hours, with an equal number of warriors apparently falling into the flames on both sides.

             Then a cool wind and rain poured down into the crater.  The breeze and moisture extinguished the weapons of the evil ones and the burning below.

             The crater began to close and Sam watched the station restored to the way it had existed before the wild temperature changes that had enveloped it.

            Sam ran for the door and charged outside to a bright and breezy afternoon with glowing sunlight.

              The businessman, who had planned a trip to New York on another fraudulent financial deal, rushed home to the anxiously-awaiting arms of his wife.

              He swore he would abandon his crooked dealings, give away a substantial portion of his ill-gotten gains to charity and devote the rest of his life to serving the needy.

              Sam and Carey rushed outside to the sounds of an angelic choir.

          A voice boomed from the heavens, You will live the rest of your long life in more joy than you ever have experienced and join me and your family in eternal happiness in the Ultimate Kingdom of Good. 

October 19, 2022 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.