2 comments

General

“Can you keep a secret?" Arike asked as the delivery man's eyes widened in surprise.

“What, what secret are you talking about ma'am?" he asked as his eyes darted back and forth between her and the iron poker she was holding.

“Well since you're here might as well share it with you." She said waving the poker around.

“What secret?" He asked wearily.

“I have been trying to bake cookies for my friends and I think I failed and since you work at a food delivery site I was hoping you could help me out before I make a total disaster," Arike said.

“I deliver, I don't cook and I have a few tons more delivery to make tonight so I got to go." He apologized.

She stepped out of the house, leaving the door wild open, "But you know how to cook?" She questioned and he nodded.

“Then you can help, please come in, it will only take a moment, I really only have a problem with the oven and as a man you can just help me check it out," she begged, doing her best imitation of puppy dog eyes while sliding her thick black hair behind her ears.

“I don't think that is such a good idea," he shook his head and she dropped the poker which was her attempt at appearing not threatening. 

“Come on in sir, I would like it if you could help me," she insisted and he followed suit with a sigh. 

“Where is the baking disaster?" He asked with a shake of his head and then he heard a click indicating that she locked the front door, he raised an eyebrow questioningly at that and she only shrugged before leading him into the kitchen.

A sound of a chair being scraped along the floor halted them both. "Did you hear anything?" She asked and he shook his head.

“Now I will ask again, what did you hear?”

“What did I hear?" He repeated, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable. He had to get out of the house.

“Don't play dumb or coy Mr.-" she checked out his name tag, "Collins. What did you hear?" She asked producing a taser from behind her and pointing it between his eyebrows.

“I didn't hear anything?"

“You didn't hear the sound of the chair scraping against the floor?" She asked.

He shook his head, "No."

“What about the scream you heard when you peeped through the window while trying to deliver my food?" She advanced towards him and he took a step back.

“I didn't hear anything." He said shakily.

“Wrong answer, what did you hear?" She asked once again with a smile on her lips that had Goosebumps littering his arm.

“I swear to God who made me I didn't hear anything, I just came towards the window when I knocked and no one answered I did-di, I didn't hear anything!" He cried out, hands high over his head. 

“Once again, wrong answer." And she pulled the trigger, hitting the bulls eyes spot on which was the space between his eyes. She put on some gloves and dragged his body into her room. She dumped the body rather loudly on the floor and then opened her closet door to reveal Ayo, battered, bloody and very pissed.

“Please tell me you didn't kill the delivery man," she begged as soon as Arike removed the gag from her mouth.

“No, but he soon will be."

“Why, why are you doing this, you already have what you want. You have me. Ade is already dead so do not involve an innocent bystander in this. He didn't do anything." She pleaded on his behalf.

"He was at the wrong place at the wrong time so lets call him collateral damage. I asked if he could keep a secret and just like you he froze. It's no good.”

“Please I am sorry. Please."

“Let me get this straight. Which one are you sorry for. Is it the fact that you had the love of my life killed because he rejected me in your own attempt to roughen him up to come to his senses?" she sat on the chair, taser sparking in her hand.

"She didn't mean to do it. Ade gave specific instructions and they were just meant to scare him into your arms. He wasn't supposed to die of a heart attack!"

“Yes and oh wait, what about the two month old pregnancy which promptly fell like a sky diver without a parachute from the heartbreak caused by you two. You act recklessly and rashly and because of you people die. A child is dead; my child is dead and that on you both."

“We are so, so sorry about the baby. I know you are hurting-"

“You know! You know nothing. You guys made my parents find out about the baby and then you killed the only man I had ever loved because he hurt me a little and then you killed my baby. Tell me why I shouldn't kill you right now? Give me one good reason not to gut you like a fish!"

“Because it's not only our fault and its also yours. You were getting depressed and we couldnt bear to see you like that. Ade planned everything and you already got rid of her. I swear I won't say anything so please let me go."

“You didn't stop her when she wanted to harm Luca. She tossed the taser in her hand and caught it.

“Because-"

“Because what?"

“Because-because he hurt you." She bowed her head down at the admission.

“And now I am going to hurt you." Ayo's head snapped back up and she just knew it. She was a goner.

“Don't do this, at least let the poor guy go,"

“No, no. He heard your screams. There are missing posters for you everywhere and I just can't forgive you both. I just can't." She pulled the taser and shocked her till she passed out. It wasn't hard to get rid of the bodies. All she had to do was dump them in the river and hope that the fishes ate everything before someone could identify the bodies properly.

Arike pulled her jacket tightly around her. It was the cold season and she hated it. Everywhere was going to be wet and slippery and her hands would always feel cold. She passed by the missing persons poster on her way to school and her heart tightened at the thought of her best friend who had been missing for three days now. A fake reaction since she knew her fate.

They had been thick as thieves, the best of friends and the least popular posse in school. Arike, Ade and Ayo, best friends since age seven. They liked to call themselves the triple A.

Most people looked at her like she would soon lose it and she nearly snapped at them before controlling herself. It wasn't their fault that Ayo was missing or Ade was dead. It also wasn't her fault that they had pushed her to the wall. She wasn't violent. No that was Ade's job and the stupid girl had threatened her with a plan gone wrong for vengeance, saying it was partially her fault that Luca was dead. Apparently they could take something from her but when it was her turn she couldn't. So she took everything from them.

I guess it's true what they say; three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.

August 20, 2020 23:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

02:18 Aug 30, 2020

Interesting story. Nothing worse than feeling that you have been betrayed by those you love. Airke sure took matters into her own hands. Just wonder though, if she tased her friend and the delivery man they might have revived in the water.

Reply

Adebiyi Adedoyin
21:43 Aug 30, 2020

Not only did she tase them, she made sure they were dead. And yes betrayal is the perfect ingredient for revenge

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.