How to End an Unsettling Day

Submitted into Contest #115 in response to: Write about a character who feels like they're cut off from something.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Horror

The pervasive atmosphere outside was dark and unmistakably menacing even though it was just mid-afternoon. The black, cloud-filled sky and impending torrential rain had me on edge with a feeling of doom that was palpable and had my skin crawling.

I must not have been the only one affected because normally this part of Main street, lined with high-end stores like the gallery, would be hopping with activity, mostly from out of state tourists shopping for that "perfect" souvenir to take home.

Out of nowhere, lightning flashed and struck a tree outside the gallery's open door with a booming, shotgun crack of thunder; sending static up my arms and filling the air with noise, light and the smell of charred wood. The lightning strike severed a tree branch and hurled it violently inside the door. Ozone permeated the moment. My unsettled anxiety increased. The day was already so strange.

Quickly, I peered around the gallery at the paintings, sculptures and more delicate items in the store. All seemed untouched by the boom and rumble. Maybe it was just me jumping and shaking from that nasty surprise.

As I peered out the open door to see about the burning tree, I noticed a tall, dark silhouette standing silent and still across the street facing my open door. The figure wore a black fedora reminiscent of bygone days and a black cape that shrouded the rest of its body. The figure's face, shaded by the fedora and coupled with the gloom from the dark sky above, was in shadow too dark to make out any details and reminded me of a faceless mannequin.

Terrified, I stepped back from the doorway and closed and locked the door.... silly, I know, but at that moment, I couldn't help myself. I felt... spooked.

Shortly after this unnerving incident, a couple strolled into the gallery. She was attractive, vivacious, and clearly in love with her companion. They browsed about the gallery, as she lovingly pointed out objects, addressing him as "darling" and "sweetheart."

He was dressed somewhat like V For Vendetta, with a black hat and a dark cape around his shoulders. I thought it was a costume. So when they came up to the glass counter between us, with her arms draped adoringly about him, I gave a little nervous laugh, like I guessed this was some kind of joke. Who wears a costume like that just touring around in a sweltering afternoon in the Southwest? I was still in a heightened state of agitation from the horrifying lightning strike and from the unsettling preternatural darkness outside, so I was definitely not at my best.

And then he raised his head and looked at me. Unfortunately at that moment, I audibly gasped. I'm sure my face turned a ghastly white. The creep factor was off the scale.

A nearly bare skull was looking out at me from under the hat. There were big eyes with no eyelids. No nose. Big, grimacing teeth where lips and a mouth should've been. And I also saw that he had no arms, which the black cape was concealing; just steel prosthetics, which, in context, could've been like skeletal bony limbs.

Obviously this man had been in a terrible accident, possibly a fire, and this was what was left of him. I really do regret my audible gasp in horror when I saw him.

Things you can never take back…

His wife ignored my reaction and continued to address him as "darling" as she chattered about the jewelry in the case, while lovingly caressing his "arm." Right then I learned a cogent, poignant life-lesson about unconditional and compassionate "True Love". A lesson imprinted on my soul forever from watching this display of sweetness and love.

Of course, he had once been a fully intact, healthy man, whom she loved and who loved her. He was still the same person inside, regardless of what had befallen his body. Her loving devotion to him was inspirational to witness. She made it seem effortless, too, not forced - like a performance. To her, he was still the whole, healthy man she married.

Yeah, that was the worst in-person sight of a human I have ever seen, up-close-and-personal. So sad. But made so beautiful by the radiance of her love around him, in an encouraging, uplifting embrace of all of him - as he is.

The couple bought several beautiful and expensive pieces, left their hotel address for delivery of the larger items, and made their way back to the street. I couldn't help watching them as they left. So seemingly in love and focused on one another as they walked side by side speaking to each other in low intimate murmured conversation.

They glanced back at me as they turned through the door, and for a moment they seemed to freeze in place; all motion ceasing. And, again, I felt the same terror I felt when I was confronted with the figure across the street. Looking back, I think he was that figure - menacing and dangerous in his still and silent stance.

The moment passed instantly, and they walked out of sight. I ran to the door and looked out the direction they went, but there was no one to see. Not a single person in any direction. If I didn't know it was impossible, I'd have said they just vanished into thin air.

Then I felt the presence of someone watching me. I looked up, and there he was again, that dark silent silhouette staring at me from across the street. I backed into the gallery, closed and locked the door, and turned the OPEN sign to CLOSED. I don't care how many customers I missed the rest of the day. I turned off the lights, set the alarm, and left for the pub. 

I needed to dispel the lingering dread I felt. I needed to be around people. I needed to feel safe again.

Tomorrow, I'll have to go back to the gallery and unlock the front door again. Tomorrow I'll have to invite customers back into the shop. Tomorrow I'll have to pretend like today never happened.

I may need to stay at the pub all night to build up my confidence.

October 08, 2021 19:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.