Patric's Parties on the Go-Go

Written in response to: Start your story with someone receiving a one-star review.... view prompt

0 comments

American Fiction

"One star? You are going to give me one star? You all are ungrateful little brats! And you two! Your children are banshees. People will still love me!" I wake up on the spot. I hurry up and start getting ready for work. To go into the office. To go to my business, Patric's Parties on the Go-Go. I had to wear very nice clothes. Being a weekday, I knew that I didn't have to go to a party today. This made me feel good, as going to the parties made me a bit stressed. Planning them, however, was something that I was very comfortable with. That dream was very weird though, and my dreams usually are very accurate. Which scared me. I could be out of a job!

Patric's Parties on the Go-Go was the name of the number one party caterer in all of the town. Everyone who had a perfect party, one everyone in the town would talk about for weeks, would be catered from Patric's Parties on the Go-Go. In our town, we party a lot. If your party does not meet the mayor's expectations, you are a social outcast. Basically. Patric's Parties on the Go-Go was almost an insurance that your party was going to be perfect. Which was very helpful, as that meant you did not have to be a social outcast. Patric's Parties on the Go-Go had five stars from everybody in town.

I happen to work for Patric's Parties on the Go-Go. Everyone in town is required to throw at least one party each year. The mayor is required to go to one. Patric's Parties on the Go-Go is a huge company, so we can put together ten parties at the same time. This is really helpful, as there are usually eight different parties held on the weekend. So we must make sure that everything is perfect. Our motto is, "Every party is perfect." My boss only believes in perfection. He has a perfect five stars. He is the founder and hops around to every party we help throw. Except for ones with children. He says they are too imperfect.

The thing is, Patric is obsessed with perfection. He has to have perfect parties and he has to have a perfect five-star rating from everyone online. Our town is small but very big into partying. Even the houses with only one person living in them had a few parties. My boss's favorite parties were baby showers and gender reveals. Very little did they have children running around. Patric really does not like children. At all. "Children are sticky and annoying," I remember him telling me once. "They may look cute, but at parties, they are demons to deal with."

Yeah, my boss really does not like kids. And yet the number one party that appears on our desks is to plan children's parties. Kind of ironic, don't you think? All those parties get dumped on me anyways. It was fine because I really did like kids. I want to have a couple of my own children someday. Now, the only people who were allowed to not host a party were the people who work for Patric, Patric himself, and the mayor. Which was very cool, because I never had any reason to throw a party. Like many people in this town. But people find ways.

Now, we were allowed to have parties, but it was not required the way it was with everyone else in the town. I was at the office before I knew it. I planned two parties by morning, talked to my boss, and then got started on another party. The new party looked complicated. A children's party. Not for my boss. But it looked like I would need some backup on this one. I ask him to go to his office. I forgot to tell him it was a children's party. He agreed enthusiastically. I'm pretty sure it was because he was making a phone call and needed me out though. So, a few weeks later we went to the party.

Patric was not pleased. But he went in with a smile on his face. At first, the party went pretty smoothly. Nothing much. And then the kids had cake first. Which I was super confused by, but was used to it. Why have cake first? Patric was doing pretty well. But then we got to activities, and all there were the kids running around. Then Patric yelled at some kids. He called them dirty words. And one of them was the birthday boy. Who ended up crying. Like the rest of the kids. The parents ran over and comforted their children. Then they started yelling at Patric.

They gave him a one-star review. And then he screamed at them. "One star? You are going to give me one star? You all are ungrateful little brats! And you two! Your children are banshees. People will still love me!" My dream came true. The mayor stepped up. She then put me in charge of the business. She renamed it after me and then fired Patric. That night I went home. I was now head of the company. I was so happy. I was really going to make it in life! The mayor stopped by the next day, declaring she was throwing a party for me! I was very grateful and put a crew of people in charge of this party.

I had never planned or seen such a perfect party. Not even by Patric. Patric was invited. He was drunk and mad. He tried to fight me. Luckily, there was the police force there. The chief of police. Who then went ahead and put him in their police car and drove away. Not arrested apparently. Just left at the edge of town and forced to walk on foot to find another town to ruin. To completely get rid of him and make sure he never returned, we put a guard on the outside of town, on the only road to town. We never wanted him to come into our town and bother our partying town ever again.

April 12, 2022 20:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.