6 comments

Historical Fiction

I walked past Mr. Abramsen's bakery to see the slurs on the two doors and four windows. I shook my head and walked on. I walked past three more shops that had gotten "painted". I kept on walking through the trash littered streets, looking at the Jews that were being abused.

I took a right turn on one of the streets that I didn't know. I was on this walk to go for an adventure and explore, after all. Most of the houses seemed like rich people's houses. After walking a bit down the road, the houses started to change. First it was just smaller houses, then awful curve appeal, then tiny and awful curve appeal.

"Go! Go! They're coming from us! Even though you're not Jewish doesn't mean they won't hurt you!" I looked behind me and saw a young girl, no older than eleven, standing in front of a house, waving me on. I looked at her chest and saw what I was looking for; the Star of David. She was Jewish.

I nodded at her and started running in the opposite direction, the way I came. I looked behind me and saw the girl looking up and down the street. I turned back around and continued running.

When I got to the end of the street, I took a left, back where I came from again. I ran and ran until I got to the next intersection. I didn't want to be anywhere close to where they were.

I kept on running straight ahead for about two more miles. When I got to the two mile mark, I took a sharp right turn and almost ran into my door. I backed up a couple of steps and then put my hand on the door handle. I took a deep breath and opened the door. I walked in and closed the door behind me.

"Finally. You're home, saukerl,"Charlotte greeted. I looked in the kitchen and there she was, standing in front of the sink, doing dishes.

"Mama said that I could go exploring,"I retorted. With a quick glance, I saw Charlotte roll her eyes. I took off my coat and boots, setting them down on the bench.

"What Mama says means nothing. She shouldn't let you go out when these Jews are wandering around everywhere. At least the ones that aren't sent to camp,"Charlotte said. I walked into the living room to find Papa passed out on the couch, an empty glass of champagne in his hand. I rolled my eyes and walked to my room.

"CHARLOTTE! Where's my book?!"I hollered. I heard the water turn off and Charlotte huffing and puffing.

"I gave it to the Nazis and they're burning it tonight for the big bonfire!"Charlotte called. That was the only book I owned. Just because it was written by a communist doesn't mean that the book itself was bad. It was about a little girl who gets lost and her older brother saving her!

"Saumensch du dreckiges!"

"Don't ever call me that again! PAPA!" I heard her stomp around until it stopped; she must've reached the living room. I heard their muffled voices; Charlotte's angry and Papa's drunk. Their talking only lasted a minute. I closed my door and locked it.

I heard Charlotte grumble and then her stomp footsteps again. They came closer, and closer, and closer, until she was at my bedroom door.

"Let me in, saukerl!"Charlotte screeched. I leaned up against the door, knowing that Charlotte could pick a lock as easily as she could walk.

"No, saumensch!"I shouted. We both stood our ground, at least for a couple of moments. Charlotte ended up walking away, defeated.

I smiled and hopped onto my bed. In the dark times we were going through, we were the richest family and were still going strong. My father was just one step under Hitler, after all.

Everyone else within a hundred miles of us was eating some rotten soup or stew every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Whereas for my family, we were having different fine dining meals every day, three times a day. I hated it.

Just because you benefit from something doesn't mean that you have to support it. My three family members (Papa, Mama, and Charlotte) were always through and through Hitler supporters. I never have been; I thought that what he was doing was wrong.

And it was, and it always will be. The Jews were and still are people and human beings, just like us Catholics, and Christians, and any other religion you are!

I crossed my legs "Indian-style", and put my chin in my hands. I thought horrible things about Charlotte, cursing her in my mind. I didn't know how long I had been sitting there until I heard the front door open.

I ran to my bedroom door, unlocked it, and opened it. I walked down the hallway and into the entryway. Mama was taking off her coat and boots, setting down her umbrella.

"Oh, hello, Charles. Die Juden are bringing horrid things to our world, along with horrid weather. Take my umbrella, dear,"Mama instructed. I took a deep breath to withdraw my words about Jews being peaceful people. I walked over to Mama and grabbed her umbrella from her. I hung it on the coat rack and gave Mama a frown.

"I agree, Mama. Those Jews are making our whole world an awful place to be. At least we have God and Hitler to make them go away!"I cried. My family broke out in laughter, me faking a laugh with them.

"Ah, my boy, you really do have the jokes,"Papa said as he walked in the entryway. I smiled and Papa walked into the kitchen.

"Charlotte! You got any more champagne for your ol' Pa'?"Papa asked. I listened as Charlotte opened the fridge and poured Papa another glass of champagne. I helped Mama put away all of her things.

"So, how was your adventure today? Did you hurt any Jews?"Mama asked. I shrugged and smirked in a mischievous way.

"No, none at all, Mama,"I "joked". It made Mama laugh again, and she gave me a tight squeeze.

"What's for dinner?"Mama sighed and rubbed her stomach.


---


That night as I laid down in bed, I thought about all of the things that were so right in my life, yet so wrong. Like how we were so rich, and were still able to have amazing meals. We were rich because Papa was Hitler's right-hand man. We were still able to have amazing meals because Hitler paid Papa lots of money. All of our benefits all landed on Hitler.

Wouldn't you be disgusted if you got all of your money from a man who killed innocent people for a living? I guess not if you supported him. But if you were like me, would you?

I thought about that girl on the street I had never been on before. She was so young, yet I could tell she knew so much. She was a human being, too. All of the Jews are still human beings. As goes with the rest of us.


Author's Note : I hope that this story touched two things. The fact of how horrible Hitler was, and that all lives DO MATTER. It is not just black lives, white lives, and any race you are. It does not matter what religion you are, either. Hitler showed such terrible things in a way that made you feel so disgusted and yet amazed at the same time that he was able to get away with it for so long. Treat people how YOU want to be treated.

If you want to read more about the Holocaust/Hitler, go check out The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and any of the Anne Frank books. Stay safe and healthy in this hectic world that we live in!

June 05, 2020 01:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Anne Frank's books are amazing, but not quite as amazing as you Brooke. This is a great story, and I'm glad somewhat wrote about this.

Reply

21:43 Jun 10, 2020

Oh, my goodness! That is literally bringing me to tears. That much praise is greatly appreciated; more than you know! :) Thank you so, so, SO much! Stay safe! :) -Brooke

Reply

You too m8

Reply

21:47 Jun 10, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
19:28 Jun 06, 2020

So glad someone finally wrote a story like this! It speaks the truth, and you put it in a great way!

Reply

14:21 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you so much, Evelyn! Stay safe! :) -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.