It is just the beginning of our story

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of three different characters.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Friendship

When I first left my home for school, that was the beginning, of our encounter, of our cutest story.

After graduating from community college, I was so excited to get rid of those crazy and naïve boys who thought they were superior and cocky about everything. They were actually just stupid and liked bullying girls for nothing. Out of excitement and dreams of an academic world, I went to a city that is white dominated and only speaks your language. I thought I could be living good there. I went to the University that seems kind and offering me more than enough bursaries and scholarships. During the first month there, life was good, students were friendly and professors were sort of kind, but then I started to notice that, I was really not that kind of academic person. In University, there were just many rules and memorization of other’s work, and we just paid so much money for honoring other’s work so we could become an excellent servant or slave for the society. None of my parents went to University, and I was the first one who went to a University. I wanted to quit, and I missed home so much as my home was 300 kilometers away. I started to cry and I felt so alone. I called my parents, but they were so busy to pick up my call. They had always been very busy of their business. Now I really regret going to a remote city like there. If I stayed in the city I was living, I could at least stay with my parents without getting to pay for rents and taking good care of myself all by myself. I didn’t have to deal with my trouble and weird roommates, I didn’t have to deal with the harassment from those weird white men, I didn’t have to cook for myself, and I didn’t have to look for a good direction for my work. I was feeling so helpless and alone. I was so lost and I often saw the sky that was black and hopeless. I knew I got depression, but I didn’t know what to do. I knew even if I asked my parents if I could go back, they would say, “Well, this is your decision and the only direction for you is keeping moving forward. Don’t’ you dare to come back before you got the certificate.” I was once again, devastated.

Suddenly, I saw you as an Angel, came into my sight. I remember that day, we were in a grocery store. I was wandering round and checking out my favourite strawberry cakes for my gluttony. You wandered around me and said, “Girl, eating too much of these is not good, you should at least share with your friends.” I was shocked at first as at this moment, I thought no one was caring about me and I was really in a terrible shape. I started to cry under my sunglasses and I felt like a willful girl who did horrible planks and started to regret what I had done. You told me your story about you being a soldier, who never gave up in the battlefield, kept saving lives as many as possible, and never gave up any possible lives. You said, life is a journey of failing and trying, although the only direction in life is forward, but the forward is actually a path full of wonders and amazing things if I dared to discover. I was so moved about your company and I enjoyed listening to your pap talk with me. At this moment, I was a wild cat you rescued.

After that day, we shared our contact and started staying and spending time with each other more. We went to the lock together to watch other students to control the water level, we went on to your boat to sail on the lake, we fed the ducks and swans together by the lake with the bread your fermented, we built a tent in the woods so you could show me different kinds of mushrooms I would see in a wood. You took me to see the prison you were working at as a Judge, you showed me to the Department of National Defense where you served as a soldier, you showed me the computer store you started when you first settled in this new city, you showed me the tanks and airplanes you once drove to go to work, and you showed me how you were honored by the Army on the wall of their college. I was very proud of you and I loved being with you. You are so kind and loving, and I could never tell this Man was once a military soldier who led husbands of other Men to fight against terrorists. At this moment, I was your friend.

During my University, I decided to enroll in the college you were teaching. I wanted to have similar experience as you did in this city. I was enrolled in the classes that you taught, and I became your student. I didn’t want to scare or interrupt you in any way, so I used a fake name for the school. Since then, I sneaked into your class with you noticed, watching you having all those eloquent and well-prepared presentations with your signature confidence about computer science. Although I was a terrible student at computer programming, but I always enjoyed watching you speak, watching your beautiful gestures, and listening to your thoughtful and responsible teaching, and taking advices from your attentions and cares. I felt so loved by this teacher and I was so glad that this city has an Angel like you, so this city could be so safe and in peace. Not to mention that, this Man was a policeman, a military Judge, a pilot, a tanker, a computer Genius and an Army Officer. I was so proud of you. At this moment, I was more than a student of yours, but a manic and crazy fan.

Most importantly, no one could imagine how young you are right now. Our story will still continue, and our journey just got started. 

August 04, 2021 00:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Keya J.
03:06 Aug 04, 2021

Hello Xinlan, It's a wonderful story! I really enjoyed reading it. Will you write the second part of it? I'll be quite eager if you do. Though, there are some points that I would like to make: 1) 'I called my parents, but they were so busy picking up my call.' I think this line should be rephrased as 'I tried to call my parents, but their lives were busy enough, engaged in business threads, so they did not pick up. 2) 'Now I really regret going to a remote city like there' I think, 'there' should be replaced as 'that' because we are re...

Reply

Muffin Hill
10:03 Aug 04, 2021

wow thank you for your advice! They helped a lot. I was just trying to make this piece more orginal and straight forward without too many artificial phrasing. Yes i will fix the piece accordingly Thank you so much for your help! And yes, the best is always yet to come, wait for it! Best, Xinlan

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.