The Lost Child by Lisa Reid

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of three different characters.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult Fiction

The phone is ringing and I am almost scared to answer it. Looking at the caller Id I see it is Marie, my niece. What will she say this time that will change my mind? Thirty-five years old and still cannot take care of herself. Tough love is the only way this lost child will ever learn. She has worn us all out financially and mentally.

“Hello”, I heard on the other end. “Marie, I do not know what you expect me to do. You should have stayed with your uncle and worked at getting your life settled”. “I know Aunt Weezie but I was so homesick.” “Homesick, you didn’t have a home to go to. Instead you uprooted your little boy, once again to go stay with a so-called coworker” That was a joke in itself since she has never held a job for over a month. “But Aunt Weezie, this place is not safe. It wasn’t what I thought. I have nowhere to go.” This is her life for the past nine years after her mom passed. A child that was never taught responsibility or how the real world is. “Well, Marie I am sending you a list of transitional housing. I had you at a really nice place that would have taught you everything for up to two years. But, you conned your uncle into taking you. Just do what I told you to do. Please quit bothering everyone. "

“Hello.” “Hello May, I just talked to Marie and she is bugging everyone to come to get her.” “Well, she is not coming back here. I told you she would drive you crazy. It is like being on a hamster wheel. I have spent 60,000 dollars in court costs in nine years, 270,000 dollars in just supporting her. I bought her four cars, raised her one boy, found her several places to live and she still will not grow up.” I used to think May exaggerated some until Marie came here for two months. “I know, just warning you that she has called everyone down here.”

What am I going to do now, Marie thought to herself. The preachers here will not answer their phones. No family will answer. I should have stayed with my husband. I wonder if he will answer when I call. “Hello.” “Charlie this is your beloved wife. I miss you so much that I cannot quit thinking about you. How are you doing?” “Marie, what do you want?” “Charlie, that is no way to think. I just miss you. How are the kids? Are they well?” “Like I said, what is it that you want?” Then he heard crying a little, then it just went uncontrollable. “I am so scared. I have nowhere to go. I am sober Charlie and I ended up in a place that is not safe. Drugs everywhere. Will you please come and get me?” “Awe, Marie you know I have a girlfriend. What am I suppose to do?” “I don’t care I’ll stay in the spare room. I am scared.’ “Okay send me the address.”

So as the week went by I started to worry about Marie. I think I will call my brother and see if they have heard from her. “Hey, Bobby this is Weezie. Have you heard from our little princess?” “No I have not heard from her but I know she called our brother Shep and his children. No one is wanting her to come back. It makes everyone feel bad but we cannot fix her. There are a lot of women’s homes that are equipped to help women like her. Hey, Weezie the other line is ringing. Let me call you back.” “Hello.” “Yes, is this Bobby Davies.” “Yes it is, whom am I speaking with.” “This is Douglas County police department, Detective Amigo. Is Marie Arbor still staying there?” “No sir, she went back to Florida.” “Well, the rental car place has taken a warrant out on her. It has been a week and she has not returned the car.” “I’m sorry I do not know where she went. She had a place to go and was going to start her life there.” “Well, if you speak to her please tell her she needs to give us a call.” Both parties hung up and Bobby was shaking his head with unbelief. He thought this girl is totally shot out.

Ring, ring. “Hey May, your niece has really lost it now.” “What, now?” “She did not take rental back and they have taken a warrant out.” “Well, I do not know where she is and I am done. She has about given me a nervous breakdown. I cannot bail her out this time. And if Kyle gets put in foster care, maybe he is better off. My health cannot raise two babies.

No one saw Marie or heard from her for six months. She did not contact anyone. So life just went on as usual. Then another few months went by and I wondered about her. I was sitting on my porch and a strange car pulled up. It was Marie.” “Aunt Weezie, I wanted to come by and see how you were. I worked really hard to get my life back together. I stayed at a home for 6 months and got a job at Publix Corporation. The people at the home really helped me so much. They helped me with my management skills and taught me how to talk to people. They also put me in housing just recently and Kyle is really thriving.” “Oh, Marie I knew you could do this if you would apply yourself. I am so very happy for you. Have you seen the rest of the family?” “No, not yet. I am kind of nervous.” “Won’t we all get together and have dinner. I won’t tell them what this is about.” “Ok”, she said and left to go back to her hotel room.

I called and invited everyone to dinner and everyone agreed. When they walked in they could hardly believe their eyes. For once, everyone was mingling and laughing. It was so wonderful to see a family acting like one. The kids were all playing and having a wonderful time.

It was so good to finally see the lost child finally grown up. She got to see her other child as well. He was such a big boy now. But over the years Marie had grown into a wonderful woman and she worked in some of the shelters helping women who were just like her. God was going to use her for his glory. 

August 04, 2021 23:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.