12 comments

Friendship Funny Fiction

"So, what's the catch?" I heard as my apartment door suddenly flung open and my neighbor across the way bounded in. Tucked under his armpit looked to be a large roll of newspaper. 


"Ron, we've talked about this," I said as my heart rate slowed to normalcy. "You need to knock!"


"Why Pete? You don't knock when you come over."


"But I don't come over…"


"Well that's not my problem, now is it?"


I dropped my head onto the table barely missing my coffee. I really, really hoped for a better day. I completely and totally made a mockery of last night's festivities; and just wanted to spend the day writing to this week's prompts and not thinking about anything else. Especially last night. But it was not to be.


I looked back up as Ron plopped the newspaper on the table in front of me, making my coffee slosh out and spill over the table onto my Avenger's lounge pants. "Oops, sorry Pete," he said while wiping the excess with his sleeve. Then he gestured toward the paper roll. "Here, open it."


I saw where moisture soaked much of the newspaper and a smell unlike any newspaper I've ever smelled emanated from it. "No."


He placed his hands on my table and said. "You have to open it."


I eyed it, the way the moisture continued to soak through, the miasma of odors – none good – and repeated, "No."


He threw his arms up in frustration and stepped back. "But you HAVE to, Pete! It's for your prompt. That's why I said 'So, what's the catch' when you let me in."


"But I didn't let you in. You barged in like you always do."


He waved his hand in a dismissive fashion. "Your door is always unlocked. How can you say you don't let me in if all I have to do is walk in? Do you knock before entering a store?"


Might have me there.


"And I'm trying to help you. You're the one struggling with the prompts. Open it!"


Carefully I pinched a dry edge and lifted upward. Whatever lay hidden inside flipped numerous times, each with a dull thud, with the paper's unrolling. The smell increased exponentially with each newly exposed millimeter until, suddenly…


"It's a fish," I said looking at the large, dead carp contaminating my dining room table. The milkiness of the eyes along with the smell attested to both a lack of preservation and the length of its demise.


"Ohhhh, it's much more than a fish. It's inspiration Pete!" Ron looked triumphant. "So, what's the catch? It's a fish! I drove to Miller's pond yesterday morning and caught him. Ohhhh, he has some big ones in that pond."


"But that isn't what it me–"


"It'll jump start your muse, Pete! Get those creative juices flowing! It's a sure winner! Hell, think about what we could do with an extra two-hundred and fifty buckaroos!


The way he strutted through my apartment, flailing his gangly arms like a crazed muppet on meth made me thankful I kept no knick knacks. "We?"


"Well I caught the fish Pete. I gave the means of blowing through your writer's block."


"What you gave me is a table I'm afraid to eat from, and a stench that might not dissipate," I said pointing at the dead carp. "You couldn't at least put it on ice?"


"I had errands to run. There wasn't time to find ice."


"It's almost ninety degrees out there! You left it in a hot car wrapped in newspaper all day and then overnight."


"Hey, I brought it up first thing this-"


My intercom buzzed. Walking over I punched the button. "Yes."


"It's me, Jane."


I buzzed her in and turned back to Ron. "I want that fish out of here, Ron. Please. Now."


"You're making a mistake Pete. I'm telling you it'll put us over the top." He somehow managed to look dejected over a dead fish.


Then my door opened and Jane walked in, immediately scrunching her face and reaching up in a feeble attempt to ward off the odor with her sleeve. "Oh my God! What is that smell?"


I pointed to the table where Ron attempted to rewrap the fish in disintegrating, wet newspaper. "Ron's idea of inspiration for my writing prompt."


"Pete doesn't know a good thing when he sees it," Ron said, still wrestling with the fish.


"Now my whole apartment is going to reek all day. Who wants an apartment smelling of dead carp?" I said, throwing my arms up in exasperation. "All I wanted was quiet to work on my story and not think about last night."


"Don't you have air freshener!" Jane asked.


"No, I don't," I said. "Besides, it would only smell like a corpse wrapped in Lavender, or Fresh Linen or, God forbid, something fruity."


Then Ron barreled past with the mostly wrapped fish tucked back under his arm. Jane scrambled to put as much distance between them as possible. "I'm leaving, Pete, but as a friend I'm telling you I won't help with another of your prompts!" He looked over toward Jane. "Sorry Jane, I-"


"Just go!" she said with a shushing motion. "Take that smell with you." And as if it just occurred to her, "Leave the door open."


Then my intercom buzzed again. I pushed the button. "Yes?"


"It's me"


Now John shows up. I really just want to be left alone, but I buzz him in.


"Wait until he smells this," Jane said with a wry smile as she perched on the arm of my couch.


Which didn't take long. 


"Hey Pete, what is that smell all the way up… My God, is it your apartment? What is that? Who died?"


Slumping into my couch beside Jane, I explained, "Dead fish. Ron brought it to me as, as he referred to it, 'inspiration for my prompt.' I'm having trouble with them."


"Oh, well, it certainly has an impact." He wrinkled his nose in distaste. "Did it, uh, help?"


"No," Jane and I said in unison.


"Anyway, the reason I came is to find out what happened at the club last night?"


Oh shit! "Whatever do you mean, John?"


Jane looked quizzically at me. "Something happened at the club last night?"


"Nnooooo." Did I drag that out too long? Dammit!


John stared hard at me, then his face lit up. "Oh. My. God. It was you! I can tell from that look. I knew it!" He laughed and extended both arms toward me. "I can't believe this! The local news feeds are referring to you as the 'Idiot Illiterate Alliterate.'


Oh man. Not the news feeds. It's worse than I thought.


Then Jane chimed in. "What did you do, Pete?"


"It was an accident, ok! Bill was supposed to introduce the guest speaker. Then Bill got sick, so the owner grabbed me to make introductions. He shoved a handwritten sheet of paper to read from. I'd never heard of her!"


"Who?" Jane asked.


John laughed harder, but managed to say, "Francine Buck. Goes by 'Fannie.' She's an inspirational speaker."


"So what?" Jane said.


I stood up and started pacing. "I'd been drinking and didn't have my glasses on, ok! They'd handwritten the note. I thought the 'B' was an 'F.'"


It took a second to sink in, then Jane said, "Oh my God! Pete! You didn't!"


Sighing, I said, "And I referred to her name as Fannie. I heard it repeated all evening. So, sadly, did she."


Then John said, "She took it pretty well, all in all." And he laughed even louder. "When they interviewed her after, she stated that 'It was, by far, the worst intro I've ever had. Still, moron or not, he is correct. - my fanny has had that done to it. Many times."


Jane chuckled. "Things haven't worked in your favor, have they? Moron."


I really didn't know what to say.

March 06, 2023 00:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Russell Mickler
23:27 Mar 13, 2023

Grin - this was just so _meta_ that I couldn't not like it :) I liked the dialog, and the mechanics were pretty solid, too. It was a pleasure to read ... R

Reply

Kevin V
00:00 Mar 14, 2023

Thank you Russell for taking the time to reply. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
13:12 Mar 06, 2023

I see Wendy. made the same observation. I read this as a Seinfeld episode (it happens we're watching the reruns...again...at night). It is a fun and lively read, cleverly playing on the word "catch" to stench up the room and then taking the fiasco further with the alliteration. Kudos for politely alluding to the problem Pete created. I do have to questions that I thought I would raise since editing is still a feature. In the following: "Someone else was supposed to introduce her" although the word "her" is later clarified, it caused a stumb...

Reply

Kevin V
23:09 Mar 06, 2023

Laurel, never worry about making suggestions. I wish more people would. I have been brutalized by writer's far less nice than you. And often! It has helped me improve my writing. I always take the suggestions into account. To be honest, I'm seriously struggling with these prompts. I'm far happier with last weeks prompts and story. I just started somewhere and went with it. Then I paid the $5 to fund you, Wendy, and Michelle. Figure it's a good cause! I am, though, going to give it another look. I really appreciate your time, Laurel. I di...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:27 Mar 07, 2023

It did read like American English until that one line, which is why I decided to err on the side of caution. I once asked someone about their use of "different to" as opposed to "different from" and she explained that "different to" was standard in Europe. So I thought I should be careful as this site seems to be somewhat global and we have to account for regional differences. Anyway, I enjoy developing some relationships with people willing to critique as well as be supportive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
01:35 Mar 06, 2023

Oh jeez! lol :) I could see this as a Seinfeld episode! hehe Cute and fun, KV, and of course amusingly bizarre with the clueless-but-helpful neighbor! Faves: - So, what's the catch? It's a fish! - Terrible pun, he should be ashamed! :D - flailing his gangly arms like a crazed muppet on meth - that made me laugh at the visual, nice :) - God forbid, something fruity. - Amen!! Great take on the prompt, with a contemporary spin among the characters discussing it - it worked! :)

Reply

Kevin V
01:45 Mar 06, 2023

Thank you, Wendy! It's not going to win any prizes, but was fun to write. Truth is, I had Seinfeld running in my head as I wrote it and am most pleased that came through. I heard the characters speaking and tried to capture as much as I could. I figured, if nothing else, I'd try to make it fun.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
01:57 Mar 06, 2023

It definitely was fun and absolutely came through, and I'm kinda stoked that I "got it" - often I somehow do not, but it doesn't keep me from leaving reviews and sometimes making a fool of myself when I miss a very clear message, lol. :) Woo! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:57 Mar 12, 2023

Really funny story and unusual response to the prompt. Wacky, but enjoyable.

Reply

Kevin V
00:02 Mar 13, 2023

Thank you, Helen, for taking the time to comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:35 Mar 09, 2023

Delightfully funny! Claim you were having struggle trouble with the prompts but Funny Fannie could also have been the embarrassed speaker flubbing her speech after such a name shame gaffe. Good for a laugh.

Reply

Kevin V
23:48 Mar 09, 2023

Thank you Mary. I really did have a tough time coming up with something for these prompts, so just had a little fun with it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.